Stihl MS261C M-tronic WILL NOT IDLE. Brand new.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have several m tronic saws and hate everyone. 661C, 261CM, 201TCM, 441C and several more. Every single one I've had to replace the low idle solenoid on. 661c stopped idling 5 weeks in. Out of warranty. How convenient. 261C stopped idling after 6 months. 201 tcm has never idled right and dies every time you touch the throttle. The Stihl dealers in my area aren't worth a crap. They gave me the run around on every saw. I've only ran saws for a living for 29 years. Logging and tree service combined. I finally found one dealer that can still get me non M tronic saws. I just bought a new 661, and 261. Still in the box and never ran. I just replaced the low idle solenoid on my 261c again this evening. Runs great now. I've never had a problem keeping the air filter clean and taking 5 seconds to adjust the carb if needed. I'll take that over this crappy m tronic any day.
That's the part that I was looking for. You win this thread!

Lasted all day on the job, How much of the day was the saw actually used?
You know I have been trying to figure out how to answer that. That job was working with a crew of about thirty volunteers working in a river bottom taking out invasive species. There were two sawyers per crew and three swampers to pull the slash out and the swampers also had loppers to cut the small stuff. The sawyers we’re dropping everything bigger but also we had to do some swamping too, so we were not just running the saws constantly. I asked my partner running the Husky 353 how much gas he used that day and he said he thought he filled the saw three times during the day, so he burned 3+ tanks of gas. Of course he would frequently let his saw idle when he put it down so that burned a little gas.
Let me say again I’m not writing this because I’m trying to convert the world to battery saws, I’m not. I have three battery saws and twenty plus running gas saws, plus a bunch of run outs to rebuild. I love running gas saws and working on them. I’ve got a two day fuels reduction job coming up this weekend taking down ponderosa pines and I won’t even take the battery saws, I’ll be taking my 560XP and a ported 261CM.
My point is this - they are, hands down, easier to use than a gas saw. And battery technology is going to keep improving. I’ve already read rumors, maybe on this site, that Stihl has an 18” battery saw coming soon. Like it or not, I have no doubt they are going displace most, - BUT NOT ALL- NEW gas chain saw sales.

You know I have been trying to figure out how to answer that. That job was working with a crew of about thirty volunteers working in a river bottom taking out invasive species. There were two sawyers per crew and three swampers to pull the slash out and the swampers also had loppers to cut the small stuff. The sawyers we’re dropping everything bigger but also we had to do some swamping too, so we were not just running the saws constantly. I asked my partner running the Husky 353 how much gas he used that day and he said he thought he filled the saw three times during the day, so he burned 3+ tanks of gas. Of course he would frequently let his saw idle when he put it down so that burned a little gas.
Let me say again I’m not writing this because I’m trying to convert the world to battery saws, I’m not. I have three battery saws and twenty plus running gas saws, plus a bunch of run outs to rebuild. I love running gas saws and working on them. I’ve got a two day fuels reduction job coming up this weekend taking down ponderosa pines and I won’t even take the battery saws, I’ll be taking my 560XP and a ported 261CM.
My point is this - they are, hands down, easier to use than a gas saw. And battery technology is going to keep improving. I’ve already read rumors, maybe on this site, that Stihl has an 18” battery saw coming soon. Like it or not, I have no doubt they are going displace most, - BUT NOT ALL- NEW gas chain saw sales.
So from what I gather from just a couple responses.
The Stihl battery is equivalent to 3+ plus tanks of fuel. while swamping, Stihl claims "Run time with the AP 300 S battery is 45 minutes".
The Husky battery is equivalent to 1 tank of fuel. tree topping which from vids I have watched would seem about right.
I no longer work in the tree industry but do help build and maintain 60-70 miles of motorcycle single track, a new 261 is right around $600 a new 540i is around $1100 plus $660 for 3 extra batteries, Now I have to sit down and figure out how many years $1160 worth of premix will last vs 4 batteries. Figuring I average about 4-5 tanks of fuel per day when in the bush for 2-4days at a time with no means of recharging batteries more batteries may be required.

The Stihl battery is equivalent to 3+ plus tanks of fuel. while swamping, Stihl claims "Run time with the AP 300 S battery is 45 minutes".
The Husky battery is equivalent to 1 tank of fuel. tree topping which from vids I have watched would seem about right.
I no longer work in the tree industry but do help build and maintain 60-70 miles of motorcycle single track, a new 261 is right around $600 a new 540i is around $1100 plus $660 for 3 extra batteries, Now I have to sit down and figure out how many years $1160 worth of premix will last vs 4 batteries. Figuring I average about 4-5 tanks of fuel per day when in the bush for 2-4days at a time with no means of recharging batteries more batteries may be required and or running a generator every day which needs gasoline as well.

I no longer work in the tree industry but do help build and maintain 60-70 miles of motorcycle single track, a new 261 is right around $600 a new 540i is around $1100 plus $660 for 3 extra batteries, Now I have to sit down and figure out how many years $1160 worth of premix will last vs 4 batteries. Figuring I average about 4-5 tanks of fuel per day when in the bush for 2-4days at a time with no means of recharging batteries more batteries may be required.
Ok so I will try to make your decision easier - definitely buy the 261. If you read all my pro battery comments you never see me say they are more fun. Gas saws are fun. Battery saws are easy to use, but not fun. They make grinding noises, not sounds that grab your little boy inner soul. And Stihl 261s are probably my favorite all round saw.

Ok so I will try to make your decision easier - definitely buy the 261. If you read all my pro battery comments you never see me say they are more fun. Gas saws are fun. Battery saws are easy to use, but not fun. They make grinding noises, not sounds that grab your little boy inner soul. And Stihl 261s are probably my favorite all round saw.
Fun is fun but I am looking at efficiency as most times from start up the saws do not get turned off until out of fuel and then refueled, I got hooked on the Stihls back in the mid 90s with the 044s and 026s. If I want sounds that grab my inner soul I fire a 395 as it has the thump of a MX bike and Iffykid is still a kid at heart and hope to never grow old.

Fun is fun but I am looking at efficiency as most times from start up the saws do not get turned off until out of fuel and then refueled, I got hooked on the Stihls back in the mid 90s with the 044s and 026s. If I want sounds that grab my inner soul I fire a 395 as it has the thump of a MX bike and Iffykid is still a kid at heart and hope to never grow old.
👍

Yep. Adjusting the carb on a saw is a non issue. Having to pay $50 for a low idle solenoid every time it won't idle is.

I don't think people see the bigger issue with this stuff..

I'll bet you less than 5% of chainsaw users actually know how to tune a chainsaw. From a manufacturers standpoint this is a no brainer..literally..

MT/AT/FI and battery take that problem away and also save the people who think they know how to tune one because their saw was "screaming"..

Not to mention these "computer" saws are in an optimal state of tune almost all the time and have probably saved thousands of saws from an early death.

I wore out a 362 last year that was ported brand new and made it 3 years between me and 2 other people and 1 solenoid change in that time, I never even really took a look to see what fried it, I'm assuming an air leak..I really don't care, it's on the shelf for parts and made a couple hundred grand in those years..I'd say it paid for itself...

That 40 dollar solenoid wasn't much of an issue in the big picture..

It probably would've made it 5 or 6 years if I was the only one that ran it..

I'll bet you less than 5% of chainsaw users actually know how to tune a chainsaw. From a manufacturers standpoint this is a no brainer..literally..

MT/AT/FI and battery take that problem away and also save the people who think they know how to tune one because their saw was "screaming"..

Not to mention these "computer" saws are in an optimal state of tune almost all the time and have probably saved thousands of saws from an early death.

I wore out a 362 last year that was ported brand new and made it 3 years between me and 2 other people and 1 solenoid change in that time, I never even really took a look to see what fried it, I'm assuming an air leak..I really don't care, it's on the shelf for parts and made a couple hundred grand in those years..I'd say it paid for itself...

Very helpful post for those without a lot of experience on all types. For sure some have had troubles with tuning errors & with solenoids, but your experience & comments are worth a lot!

This is the appealing part to me.

Yessir dumb everything down to the lowest common denominator.

Very helpful post for those without a lot of experience on all types. For sure some have had troubles with tuning errors & with solenoids, but your experience & comments are worth a lot!

It's not like I never had a standard carb saw drive me nuts..it happens to all of us..

I've had a couple bumps with m-tronic saws that pissed me off, one of my 201s drove me NUTS one time because it wouldn't idle well and didn't start warm for sh!t. New solenoid fixed that, took all of 10 minutes..and I'm an average saw mechanic on my best day of the year compared to some of these guys.

If it didn't work stihl wouldn't be doing it...they wanna make money and unsatisfied customers aren't gonna make that happen..

I understand the harnesses in M-Tronic saws are becoming an issue to get due to our current situation in the world, so all of stihls pro saw line up is now available (if you can get one) with standard carbs in the US.

Why wouldn't you have solenoids in stock? It is a maintenance part. I understand the carburetor being ordered. I tried to stock carbs but they update so often that they are an older model in a few months. I hope they vacuum and pressure tested the saw first. Even though it's new, it may have a leak. And for the other makes, I have experienced this also.

Back