Stihl MS271 twist in oil and gas cap replacements?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have a set of these twist in gas and oil cap replacements from flea bay for a Stihl MS271 and trying to remove the OEM existing gas and oil caps without just breaking the little retaining strap in the tanks.
ebay item number 322035731612

How are the OEM caps removed along with their retainer without breaking the retainer lead?
These cap retainer cord appears to be kinda moldered into a little groove and does not want to release easily.
Trying to get the OEM caps off so as they are still ok when removed.

Replacing the cap due to gas cap sometimes comes off when cranking the saw and dumping gas into crotch.:eek:

I'll give that a try. I can see a molded ball and plastic stem on the end of the ebay one that has a longer cord but the OEM one just looked like a plastic cord kinda melted into a groove in the tank and is really short with not any slack when the cap is removed and I could not see a ball on the end of it.

I take another gander tomorrow, and rip it out now that I know the layout.

Thanks

Yeah, the one I took out was real short too, I guess they are not too worried about tearing up one that you are removing anyway.

I got the flea bay replacement caps installed but not too sure if they are going to be ok long term.
ebay item number 322035731612
One cap fit tighter than the other and I installed it on the oil tank and applied oil to the o rings and assembly and still had to twist it in place few times using a screwdriver as a lever bar before it free'ed up enough to twist in by hand.

Appears they keep the cap retainer strings and cords short so as they don't get trapped in the threads when twisting in the caps, maybe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Twistn-fuel...731612?hash=item4afad34c9c:g:UAoAAOSwoudW4g-N

Interesting. You will have to keep this updated, especially since they cost more than the OEM caps.

You might have to just keep and eye and ear open about the generic replacement caps or ask about such with a post, because I won't be actually using the saw very much taking the caps on/off until this coming fall/winter firewood season. (right now I'm not too impressed with the generic replacements)
After the gas flippie cap came off and dumped gas in my crotch when cranking the saw I took extra effort to make sure the flippie caps were securely installed and really not problems with them after I received gasoline chapped groin/legs area. (gas burning and chapping during hot weather when in the woods with no change of britches is not a good thing.:eek::( Might have to start carrying extra pair of britches when using the flippie cap Stihl chainsaws and/or find a hot cup of coffee in the crotch attorney;))

I remember as a young man, I was getting ready to go somewhere in a hurry, and had to dress up a tad, but didn't have time for a shower, etc. I somehow decided to grab my dad's Aqua Velva and splash it all around, it was all fine and good until I sprized my crotch area.
After several minutes of screaming, I hopped in the shower anyway.........

That is one lesson that stuck in my mind forever.....

You might have to just keep and eye and ear open about the generic replacement caps or ask about such with a post, because I won't be actually using the saw very much taking the caps on/off until this coming fall/winter firewood season. (right now I'm not too impressed with the generic replacements)
After the gas flippie cap came off and dumped gas in my crotch when cranking the saw I took extra effort to make sure the flippie caps were securely installed and really not problems with them after I received gasoline chapped groin/legs area. (gas burning and chapping during hot weather when in the woods with no change of britches is not a good thing.:eek::( Might have to start carrying extra pair of britches when using the flippie cap Stihl chainsaws and/or find a hot cup of coffee in the crotch attorney;))
You might want to set that one on the ground to snatch on it. To keep the boys out of it.

Back