Stihl MS310 - max bar length?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bought a 310 last fall. Oddly the dealer tried to push a 24" bar on me but I only wanted a 20". I haven't used the saw much yet (bought it after seasons wood was in) and so far I am not impressed. Doesn't seem to come up to speed and bogs easily. Break in problem? Carb? I would hate to see what it was like with a 24" bar.

Harry K

How wrong I was. That saw ate acres of trees, rode hard, put away wet and the max dealer recommended bar was 24". I ran 24" in softwood trees where I had to cut from bot h sides and a lot of Black Locust up to 3' diameter. I rean it until i bought a MS362,...then a ms441. Still took it out occasionally. Last time I used it it had very low compression but once started was still eager. I gave it to a budy whose 024 died on him. He has it as shis main saw now even with the low compression.

How wrong I was. That saw ate acres of trees, rode hard, put away wet and the max dealer recommended bar was 24". I ran 24" in softwood trees where I had to cut from bot h sides and a lot of Black Locust up to 3' diameter. I rean it until i bought a MS362,...then a ms441. Still took it out occasionally. Last time I used it it had very low compression but once started was still eager. I gave it to a budy whose 024 died on him. He has it as shis main saw now even with the low compression.
Lots of reasons for a saw having low compression, two of them are: having too long a bar for the saw and a dull chain

Lots of reasons for a saw having low compression, two of them are: having too long a bar for the saw and a dull chain
I’m running a 20 on mine and it’s an absolute monster. I bought an 18 just in case I wanted it to feel real snappy! 😂

This info. is completely incorrect. Both the 026/MS260, and the 1127-series saws (290/310/390) use the D025 mount, As to pitch, both machines accept either a 3/8" OR .325 sprocket drum. Everything is interchangeable. Any 260 is maxed out at a 20" set-up, as is the 290. The slightly larger 310 will run a 24" set-up, with a wide open oiler. ALL 3 models originally came out with a .325 pitch sprocket, and used an 18" set-up. An 18" on a 310 makes for a real fast saw.....

This info. is completely incorrect. Both the 026/MS260, and the 1127-series saws (290/310/390) use the D025 mount, As to pitch, both machines accept either a 3/8" OR .325 sprocket drum. Everything is interchangeable. Any 260 is maxed out at a 20" set-up, as is the 290. The slightly larger 310 will run a 24" set-up, with a wide open oiler. ALL 3 models originally came out with a .325 pitch sprocket, and used an 18" set-up. An 18" on a 310 makes for a real fast saw.....
So does the 310 have an adjustable oiler? And I’m running 3/8 pitch 72 yellow chain. She’s mean!

I take it that one is adjustable?
Judging from the extension toward the bottom of the pump I'd have to say it is. I think mine looks like that also. Shows you how much attention I pay to things! On the other hand, my 039 has been homemade by me out of spare parts I already had, so the pump might be or not be the stock one.

Will a 24 inch bar fit on a 310? Yes. Is it a good idea? No.

I would suggest 18 inch or 20 inch, .325 pitch first choice, but it could pull 3/8ths.

You guys gotta quit taking those factory spec sheets for gospel, those ad people lie a lot.
No because 310 isn't even 60 cc yet maybe with a port job and everything on it. Possible but I have a 310 20" bar with a full skip chain is maximum It's 12,500 rpm and that's about what the motor can pull
Efficiently

A good running MS310 will easily run a 25”, of course, the operator has to use discretion and not push the saw past its’ limits.

Just have to remember that's a plastic saw so you don't want to exert too much leverage on the bar mounts or you might be looking for the epoxy..
Very true the. Entire sauce plastic and it is true if you put more strain on the bar studs you will crack the housing that's why I say the 20-in bar is maximum stress you can put on the Ms 310.

Latest posts

Back