Stihl MS311 Ignition Module

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kierant

Reaction score
Hi Guys, greetings from the South Coast of the South Island, New Zealand I'm a newbie here, so treat me gently!! I have a Stihl MS311 that wouldn't start. No spark. Changed the spark plug & checked the wiring, still no go. Diagnosed a faulty Ignition module. Sourced a replacement off the internet. Can now get the saw to start & run OK, but starting it is a real pain. Seems that the timing is wrong, firing too early, starter rope is being snatched back. Like I say it will start eventually & run ok, but obviously something is wrong. Will the wrong ignition module cause this? Or has anyone got any thoughts?
Module supplied was Parts#1140 400 1303/1140 1305 B × 1
Cheers
Kierant

Aahh, I've just figured out what you mean by chi AM. Chinese after-market, I think. Yes it was. The local Stihl shop tried to charge me NZ$242 (US$159) for one, which I thought was a bit over the top!

Chinese stuff is kind of hit or miss on some parts. I've not had any trouble with their carburetors but their ignition modules are something else! You can usually send the parts back and get a refund and try another vendor..

Half agree. I have done very well with Chinese carb rebuild kits in OEM carbs (well over 90%) And I have had about a 75%to 80% good luck rate with Chinese ignition modules (for Stihl and Husqvarna). I would suggest that you check to insure that the flywheel is exactly where it is supposed to be rotationally on the crankshaft end. (dial indicate Top Dead Center through the plug hole, make a mark, see where that is in relative degrees to where the magnet in the flywheel passes under the ignition module. Reduce the distance between the module and the flywheel to mere clearance (a piece of thickish paper.) And, using a timing light, maybe time the ignition (pull cord, idle, and running.)

Would I be correct in saying that the OEM module has variable timing. Think I have seen a video of one being checked with a timing light, & timing seemed to alter.

Check your coil to flywheel gap using a thicker business card as the spacer between the pickups and magnets. Be aware that shifting/positioning the coil upwards can and will increase base timing. My understanding is the coil design self perpetuates advancing ignition timing with rpm, some may have a retard below 2000 rpm for ease of starting. I would suggest looking for a used ignition coil at a local shop or ebay over a chinese part if possible, ordering 2 or three different chinese offerings is what I do when no other choice is available. One is always a dud and with my luck one out of three might function properly.

Chinese stuff is kind of hit or miss on some parts. I've not had any trouble with their carburetors but their ignition modules are something else! You can usually send the parts back and get a refund and try another vendor..
Just went thru this, chinesium carb rec'd 2 kits before it was suspected....a passage to the hi-spd was NOT drilled thru?!!

Latest posts

Back