• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Stihl MS400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can’t wait to see a US based 400 vs 462 video comparison, or just a 400 review video. The real question is how big of a log do you need to get into to want the 462 over a 400?

Can’t wait to see a US based 400 vs 462 video comparison, or just a 400 review video. The real question is how big of a log do you need to get into to want the 462 over a 400?
The weight difference is minimal and it’s a half horse or so less powerful. To me idk why you would not buy the 462 unless the $200 extra is gonna hurt you. I’m interested to see some comparisons too though, The 400 might be a screamer like the 562 is.

The weight difference is minimal and it’s a half horse or so less powerful. To me idk why you would not buy the 462 unless the $200 extra is gonna hurt you. I’m interested to see some comparisons too though, The 400 might be a screamer like the 562 is.
Vibration ratings are notably lower in the 400 and it consumes less fuel so this makes it a more practical all day saw for someone felling and limbing smaller trees. I wouldn’t want to limb with a 70cc+ saw all day.

I think Stihl has pushed a smaller saw to the limits with the 400. This is as much power that you can stuff into a smaller saw without going to something bigger/bulkier with more vibration.

It’s not for everyone but it’s a very good option for the right needs. It basically obsoletes a 60cc saw.

I've been too busy to cut with it besides a few test cuts in a dry oak round by my house. Numbers say it's midway between a 362 and a 462. IMO it's closer to my 462 than 362.
It's tough to say because of the light package, but seems like it has a lot of torque. I mean noticably a lot of torque. 4.1 Nm to the 462 ? I haven't seen Stihl torque numbers for the 462.
For a Stihl, the AV is quite good. About like my 572.
It's box green with a MM. The 24" bar was buried in the test log, and pulled it really good for a saw with 10 minutes run time.
I think this is the first new saw ever I purchased that will hang the power head by the rope right out of the box.
For a firewood hack ( like me, I'm not a pro ) a 462 is not necessary if you have one of these. 24" bar and under, very little difference between 400 and 462. Again, that's my oppinion only.
I've had this for 4 or 5 weeks, just haven't cut with it yet.
I'm a lurker, not an activist, just thought I would throw in my two cents since there seems to be a fair amount of interest in the 400.
I bought it out if the UK.IMG_20201128_155644022_HDR.jpgIMG_20201128_155720572_HDR.jpg

What do you mean about hanging the power head by the rope? Thank you for the review! I have a 261 and am considering the 400 for a two saw plan, over the 462. Which bar and chain do you have in it?

Grab the starter rope by the handle and slowly let go of the power head.
It's a good way to test compression in a quick and easy way. However results can be mis leading if you are not familiar with the diameter of the rope spool. Most the new saws I've seen have larger diameter spools, or pulleys to make a saw easier to pull. That makes it all the more impressive for the 400 IMO. Saw has great compression.
Sugi Hara 24"/25", or 84DL bar with Husky C-83 X Cut chain.
It's a quality piece of work like most Stihl Chainsaws.
I wish I could say more, I just haven't logged the handle time with it yet.

Grab the starter rope by the handle and slowly let go of the power head.
It's a good way to test compression in a quick and easy way. However results can be mis leading if you are not familiar with the diameter of the rope spool. Most the new saws I've seen have larger diameter spools, or pulleys to make a saw easier to pull. That makes it all the more impressive for the 400 IMO. Saw has great compression.
Sugi Hara 24"/25", or 84DL bar with Husky C-83 X Cut chain.
It's a quality piece of work like most Stihl Chainsaws.
I wish I could say more, I just haven't logged the handle time with it yet.
How does it sound with a muffler mod? Any clips you could post?

No clips. That's really not my thing. It's sort of loud the way I did my modd. My intension however is gain cooling capacity and add performance.
Just my oppinion from limited use is that it's a really good saw.
How it fits into ones saw plan is an individual decision.
It's been on the market for about two years I think. No problems yet I'm aware of. If it stays that way, I believe this saw is here to stay.
All this is just my oppinion. Not fact. Except the loud MM. That's loud.
I would pay $200-$300 more for this over a 362 in a New York Minute.

No clips. That's really not my thing. It's sort of loud the way I did my modd. My intension however is gain cooling capacity and add performance.
Just my oppinion from limited use is that it's a really good saw.
How it fits into ones saw plan is an individual decision.
It's been on the market for about two years I think. No problems yet I'm aware of. If it stays that way, I believe this saw is here to stay.
All this is just my oppinion. Not fact. Except the loud MM. That's loud.
I would pay $200-$300 more for this over a 362 in a Net York Minute.

how does it sound compared to a 362? Is it more of a 462 sound?

That's really tough. Opinions are very subjective. I found a fair amount of technical info about the 400 on a different site. There is a pic of the cylinder. It's got the forward loaded lowers like a 461 or 462.
I think it sounds good, but IMO, all strats have sort of a high pitched crack sound with a MM that's really open. My modd is just a piece of 7/8 x 3/4 ss tubing out the front cover. OEM port untouched.
I just watched two youtube videos shot by the same guy.
Racing deal with a guy on either end of a log. Different chains take a lot away from the validity IMO. Run time on the saws. Lots of things. But I can't understand what they are saying either.
One was 462 v 400. The other 400 v 562.
Don't know if you've seen them. 462 beats the 400 by a couple seconds my guess.
The 400 and 562 are a dead heat.
Interesting, but since I don't speak the language, I don't know the details.
I would guess with .7hp more, the 400 would have more on the 562.
But those things are tough to gauge.

Great reply - love the detail and extremely interesting - thanks for posting your ms400 experience - it’s a cool saw

I have a 362 mm/intake / 461 mm in the fleet so I am having such a hard time finding a reason to pick this one up - and I want to do badly due to the new piston lol

I can see the market for this saw if someone has a dedicated saw that keeps a 28 or bigger on it. A 400 with a 20 would probably make a good plan. I have a 461 so if the 400 was available I would have considered it when I got my 462.

If anyone is interested in the MS400 still, my local dealer got pricing sheets along with nameplates for their shelves. Their rep said like I said a month ago (just recently though) that they expect them on the shelf in a couple months. Priced at $819 pho i believe.

Do you still need the 400, I need to know quickly since I could get my hands on another one as of 5 minutes ago

Latest posts

Back