STIHL MS400CM w/ bark box installation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl dude

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a bark box from West Coast saw and I am wondering what do I need to do after installing it (the first start up) in order to not cause any damage to the saw?

Do I need to reset it after installing the bark box?

Here are the 2 procedures I found online for M Tronic saws. Does this make sense? All help is appreciated :D

Method 1 for M-Tronic re-set:​

1. Remove the scabbard
  2. Ensure the chain brake is engaged (on)
  3. Put the machine in the ▲ Cold start position
  4. Start the machine and run it in the ▲ Cold start position for at least 90 seconds
  5. Do not touch the throttle or accelerate the saw during this time
  6. After 90 seconds, switch off the machine
  7. Your machine is now re-calibrated and ready for operation

Method 2 for M-Tronic re-set:​

1. Remove the scabbard
  2. Ensure the chain brake is engaged (on)
  3. Put the machine in the ▲ Cold start position
  4. Start the machine and run it in the ▲ Cold start position for at least 30 seconds but no more than 60 seconds (the period marked as A in the diagram below)
  5. Do not touch the throttle or accelerate the saw during this time
  6. Disengage/release the chain brake
  7. Open/squeeze the throttle fully for at least 30 seconds (B in the diagram)
  8. Engine speed varies noticeably during calibration
  9. As soon as the engine speed drops noticeably (C), release the throttle back to the idle position
  10. When the engine is back to idle speed, engage the chain brake and switch off
  11. Your saw is calibrated and ready for operation

Use 40 to 1 fuel to oil your first tank, that's 2,5% oil. Its a safety percasuin to everything.
That is the most important thing to consider if you mod your saw.
The M-tronic will adjust all by itself as far as I know through this site.
This is a manual carburetor advice, but 40 to one wont damage your saw in any case.

The second procedure is the one you use tonreset a 400c. It's printed in your owners manual as such.
You should not need to do a reset when adding a muffler cover. Mine ran fine after adding a WCS cover with bo reset needed.

Either reset works...method #2, you can hear the throttle change while full throttle. I hardly ever do the reset, only after major changes.

While not a true bark box, I built my own that's a pretty close copy...anyway, it ran just fine with it. The M-tronic figures stuff out. I made a 2nd exhaust port on my 201tcm...just for fun, I plugged the new exhaust outlet with a gloved finger. It kinda stumbled and ran at a really low idle for a few seconds, but then picked right back up to a normal idle. They are that good.

If you want to have it recalibrated real well, let your Dealer do the recalibration in conjunction with the diagnostic software. After doing this it is in the optimum.

Latest posts

Back