Stihl MS441 or 461 or 442

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris1044

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
New to the site. Have an older husky and a heavy ms290 and am looking to upgrade as an idiot with too many hobbies. I probably don't need a pro saw but I've got some 80 to 100 foot hickory, maples, and oaks that I need to cut and the MS290 can't pull a 16" bar buried in oak. I don't have time to tinker with old saws despite working as a machinist and mechanic for years....

There's a local MS441 for sale, mtronic, 24" bar and never used. Old guy that bought it and its too heavy - I don't know the year. I think he will take $750 for it. I'm contemplating this saw for my current tree needs and then buying a larger saw new down the road to do some mill work with.

What I struggle with is the local dealer has a ms461 for 1k out the door and a ms462 for 1100 out the door. Im looking to buy it once and use it for the next 20 years kinda thing...fell and cut some large hardwood as needed and maybe 2 cords of cutting a year per winter at most. Is the 441 even worth the look? I don't want to be bummed its underpowered - people either love or hate them from what I read.

Part of me says buy a 462 now and when I want to start milling either prep the logs and get someone to show up with a portable unit or buy an actual mill. My main need is planking for walk paths through 40 acres of swamp I have, but live edge stuff is fun to work on....again, nothing too serious.

Im building a scrap yard ms441 right now and to be honest even if this saw cures cancer its still one of the most difficult saws to work on. Just changing the fuel ilne requires a degree in engineering!
If you plan on using a saw for the next 20yrs plan on doing some maintenance so I'd go with the 461 for the first one or even a 460 if the dealer still has one.

460s are long gone. They are also VERY vIBRatioN prone, so I would avoid it. I had one and sold it. I would also avoid the 441, for that price is high and for its complexity as stated above. Also for its being a rather wide and large saw to run. I also had one of those and sold it. I never liked it. The 462 has the best power to weight and runs like a dream from what I have heard. I would go with that. Not aware of a 442... I believe Stihl stopped making the 440 line with the 441. There is also the new flyweight 500i, but they are still hard to find.

Theres a shop close to me with some new old stock 460s and such.
Honestly I never even thought about vibrations as one of my every day saws is the ProMac 700, but to each their own.

Odd that you have any 460s left on the shelf there. They are loooong gone from these parts. As soon as they put out the 441 here, the 460s all sold out. They were all but gone when the 461s hit the shelves what, 6 or 7 years ago now.

Each their own? Vibration is a HUGE issue when running saws. The older you get and the more that vibration matters. Whitefinger and autoimmune disease are two things that can set into your hands over time being exposed to high vibration. You can blow it off as BS, but these are not medical conditions that you want. And you most certainly will get older.

The older vibration list as published in the UK (they do not publish this data in the US) with the 460 data here. More vibration than the 660. Not good. But hey, to each their own. Its your medical future.

Attachments

• Stilh vibes.pdf
    19.3 KB · Views: 29
Yeah not alot of bigger saws sell around here, I looked at the same 395xp for 5 years at one shop. That owner just asked me if I wanted a 440 that he sold and it was used very little.
Interesting stuff on the vibration diagnosis! I'll have to look into that ,thanks .
I'm kinda behind the gun on body damage though, but for the younger people who might be concerned about it thats good to know .

I wouldn't mess with a 441, not a bad saw and really not that hard to work on, but not the easiest modern saw. The 461 is simple and reliable, the 462 is very very light for the power. I don't know about the 20 thing with the newest saws, that is still up in the air, but than again parts can be replaced so they will likely be around 20 years from now. My pick is try and find a MS 500i, not much more weigh than a 462 but more power and they just run perfect.

I haven seen a new 460 in about a decade now.

Thanks for the replies. The video of the ms500i is exactly the work I have to do with trees close to that size possibly larger. That saw rips, but likely out of my price pallet.

I'm not afraid of difficulty servicing the saw really but am concerned about part availability - another reason to not consider the 441 since I don't think its as popular as the 46x series after my research. I just don't have the time to service the saw so I want reliability and think any stihl should be good enough here.. The 20 year statement is hypothetical - though I want to get more than 5 years out of a 1200 spend

As for the vibe data, really appreciate the post on that. I'm not that old but not young - smart enough to know I want to be around for a long time and be comfortable living. The data clearly confirms the spring system does what it is supposed to. I'm not using this daily but when I use it it will be all day so reduced vibes are a want not a need.

Leaning towards the 462 for sure...as much as the 500 would be nice I really can't justify the extra spend.

Another vote for the 462.

Your 290 should rip through oak with a 16” bar. Either it has no compression, or the chain is miserably dull. Best to figure which one before you drop a g wiz on a new saw.

Welcome to the site.
Neither. 120psi compression and a sharp chain. I shouldn't say it doesn't rip; it will do the job and has for the last 10 years....its just not out of this world.

The 20" bar was too much for it IMO when I bought it and i now run an 18 and 16 depending on what I'm doing. Its bone stock...no mods. When I bury it in oak it will cut, but I can easily make it bog when pushed hard. Take the time ans it cuts well for what it is. Maybe it needs the muffler mod and a returned, but its served me well and will continue to serve well as a smaller tree/log saw.

I've got an FS460 clearing brush hog and the power is really whats got me wanting a new saw. It is impressive with a shredder blade on it how quick I can clear and it never seems to lack power. I know apples to apples, but I don't feel that way with the 290.

The upgrade is somewhat of a splurge buy for a finctional hobby but I can justify it to myself as not having to pay someone else to cut and when I do it with a new saw I'm reducing the time spent per tree. Mental gymnastics!

Thanks for the replies. The video of the ms500i is exactly the work I have to do with trees close to that size possibly larger. That saw rips, but likely out of my price pallet.

I'm not afraid of difficulty servicing the saw really but am concerned about part availability - another reason to not consider the 441 since I don't think its as popular as the 46x series after my research. I just don't have the time to service the saw so I want reliability and think any stihl should be good enough here.. The 20 year statement is hypothetical - though I want to get more than 5 years out of a 1200 spend

As for the vibe data, really appreciate the post on that. I'm not that old but not young - smart enough to know I want to be around for a long time and be comfortable living. The data clearly confirms the spring system does what it is supposed to. I'm not using this daily but when I use it it will be all day so reduced vibes are a want not a need.

Leaning towards the 462 for sure...as much as the 500 would be nice I really can't justify the extra spend.

Parts won't be an issue the 441 down the road, Stihl backs older products for a long time. The 500i was $150 more than my 462, when I spend that much what's $150. But I get it that's a lot of $$ for a saw no doubt, and the 462 is still amazing. If you want to save some, and know where to buy, the Husqvarna 572xp is a really good saw too.

I had a 441, good saw, no problems. I sold it and got a 462, great saw! Huge increase in power with less weight. My 362 won’t get much use now as the 462 is just slightly heavier but great power/weight ratio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These Government saws are nice, but wait til after no warranty and the SHTF with them. If you earn a liven with saws and work them everyday then a Government saw is a no brainer. I like my old 460s as I have five of them right now. They are easy to work on, don't need no fancy hookup to program, parts can be gotten without going through a dealer. Those 462 s seem nice, but could eventually before a throw away saw. Here is my favorite 460 Timbersport as I have 4 more.

sN5YIzW.jpg

120psi you say? if that's correct no wonder you're looking for a new saw.
It was 11pm, I mistyped. Saw has 155psi all day long, just checked...guess work from home during Covid has some perks.

I'm all ears if someone has other suggestions on the 290....but at the end of the day it's the ability to cut faster and larger cuts that I'm looking for.

Attachments

• 20201014_074359.jpg
    20201014_074359.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
It was 11pm, I mistyped. Saw has 155psi all day long, just checked...guess work from home during Covid has some perks.

I'm all ears if someone has other suggestions on the 290....but at the end of the day it's the ability to cut faster and larger cuts that I'm looking for.
Ok that's better lol. Muffler mod and keep after the chain.[emoji106]

These Government saws are nice, but wait til after no warranty and the SHTF with them. If you earn a liven with saws and work them everyday then a Government saw is a no brainer. I like my old 460s as I have five of them right now. They are easy to work on, don't need no fancy hookup to program, parts can be gotten without going through a dealer. Those 462 s seem nice, but could eventually before a throw away saw. Here is my favorite 460 Timbersport as I have 4 more.

sN5YIzW.jpg
I didn't know Stihl was a part of the government, being German and whatnot.[emoji1]

Latest posts

Back