Stihl MS441 or 461 or 442

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 462 C for $1K out the door July 31, 2020.
My dealer gave me 10% off because he knows me and I know how to maintain a saw correctly.
Plus times are hard for dealers and they are not selling as many saws, so some are dropping prices.
I walked in thinking 441, but after he gave me the price on the 462 and said it weighs less than the 441, it was a gimme.
I like the saw a lot and it's something about the sound of it that I really love.
So, another vote for the 462.
Clint

I have had zero issues with my 441, but I understand what people say about them. I will keep running mine, rather than buy a new saw, most likely. That 500i sounds real interesting.
I'm sure they're a fine saw. For every one that bashes anything on the internet there are probably 50 people that have no issue and love it.

I talked to the guy with the 441 this afternoon....he wants closer to 900 for it. Maybe thats fair, but not my plan when I can spend a couple hundred more for extra power and a warranty.

Dealers I've called don't have any 500i's and the ones that knew about it said they'd be around 1700...so its between the 461 and 462 now

IF you were to chew the 441 down to around 600, I would go that a way.
The 461 is a beast, but I like mine. Even better after Randy did his thing to it.
I have never run a 462, I heard they are nice tho.
I really really want to play with the 500i, and will someday.
For milling I would consider even larger stuff if there was $$ available to buy it.

I'm sure they're a fine saw. For every one that bashes anything on the internet there are probably 50 people that have no issue and love it.

I talked to the guy with the 441 this afternoon....he wants closer to 900 for it. Maybe thats fair, but not my plan when I can spend a couple hundred more for extra power and a warranty.

Dealers I've called don't have any 500i's and the ones that knew about it said they'd be around 1700...so its between the 461 and 462 now
Where are you lost at in the mitten? My dealer has one on the shelf if you’re interested.

Does it have to be a stihl? Can get a new 572 XP right now for about $800

I would do a muffler mod on the 290. Just make sure you tune the carb. I couldn’t believe the difference it made with my 290. Same with my 390. Now they are my go to saws for firewood in the 20” or smaller logs. Anything bigger gets the 660.
The 390 I built a couple years ago after buying for 50$ on cL. It was straight gased I saved the cylinder and put a cross pop up piston in it and muffler modded it and it cuts the same as my friends 440 that is stock.

I didn't know Stihl was a part of the government, being German and whatnot.[emoji1]
It's actually funny this was mentioned, previously working for municipal government. The only contract for small outdoor power equipment was always awarded to stihl. So yes, government saw, I can see the connection.

I would do a muffler mod on the 290. Just make sure you tune the carb. I couldn’t believe the difference it made with my 290. Same with my 390. Now they are my go to saws for firewood in the 20” or smaller logs. Anything bigger gets the 660.
The 390 I built a couple years ago after buying for 50$ on cL. It was straight gased I saved the cylinder and put a cross pop up piston in it and muffler modded it and it cuts the same as my friends 440 that is stock.
Carb tune - just adjustment or jetting?

This is something I've contemplated...get the biggest saw i can now and replace the 290 the road
Where are you lost at in the mitten? My dealer has one on the shelf if you’re interested.

Does it have to be a stihl? Can get a new 572 XP right now for about $800
Virtually all of my equipment is Stihl. I don't know much about new Huskys but would consider one I guess if the price was right.

I'm near Ann Arbor...what dealer are you referring to?

This is something I've contemplated...get the biggest saw i can now and replace the 290 the road

Virtually all of my equipment is Stihl. I don't know much about new Huskys but would consider one I guess if the price was right.

I’m up north in East Jordan.
Check around. Several dealers received some a couple weeks ago

Agree with points that around 70cc is good spot for you, 462 is great saw and powerful with spring anti-vibe, sure we have my favorite old 044, 046, 460 but only for short cutting due to vibration. 572xp is heavier but cuts well too, a used 394xp is best bang for your buck and would be like a light saver in 24/25" bar in hardwood, and would oil great too for milling but its heavy and big, even with low top version, and obviously isn't sold new. A cheap alternative is the makita/dolmar 64cc used rom home depot but once again, power to weight isn't as good as Stihl/Husky and you may need to fix some issues depending on how beatup the rental was.

461's are my all time favorite. Dependable, easy to work on and great power to weight.
But I had to give them up because my left arm is permanently numb/tingly, falls asleep constantly.
Had a 462 for a year now, no issues.
But, I've bought 2 572's this month. That's where I'm at.
If you don't have to run it every day, I would grab a 461. They're awesome saws and I wish I could still run them.
I'm just a puss of a faller I guess.

Dont doubt yurself, ergonomics is key, just cuz Stihl dropped the ball in past, u dont notice till u run springs, trust ur elders

461R is heavy to me wish i had a balanced new bearings apring av 044 10mm all day long, so light, sounds perfect

Re tune. Remove the limiter caps

I got to admit, I looked up what the limit caps are and it makes me laugh. I didn't even know they were in the carb.

Reminds me of putting knobs on welders in a plant one time to make the techs stop complaining about the weld settings. You adjusted it and it did nothing bit the placebo effect was huge. In this case, you can still tune the carb but only within safe limits Stihl wants you to have....maybe if I have time ill knock this out and see if I can deal with the 290 and then jump right to the 661.

The 500 really does sound like the ultimate compromise saw though...

Back