Stihl ms500i and ms400

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was in Murdochs yesterday, helping my neighbor convert his ms271 from a .325 to a 3/8 chain set up.

No 500i nor 400 on the floor, but plenty of saws. Employees tell me they get one or more 500s a week but they are called for by people on a waiting list. The list for the 500i is how it is for the time being. The ms400 is very new to them, and got blank stares about their availability.

Took us a while, but the proper spur sprocket is on order. I am selling the neighbor my 18' B&C from my old set up that I use to run on my ms290. 2 brand new full chisel skip tooth chains, a Stihl bar in very good condition with maybe a year of cutting with it. I'll include the older 18" bar with a bent sprocket nose, and a 7/32 file. What do you think all that is worth? 2 new chains + VG bar + new file + old bar?

Wow I hate putting value on anyone's stuff
$100.00

Are you thinking about the 500?

I have 3 Stihl dealerships within maybe a 40 mile radius of home and each of them has at least one 400i on their shelves.
The 462 looks like a giant beside them! But a nice compact serious looking saw.

Before Murdocks, I went to RDO, and they had no ms500 nor any 400s. I do know that RDO is receiving them from Stihl, but it looks like they are just being pounced on by cutters.

P
Before Murdocks, I went to RDO, and they had no ms500 nor any 400s. I do know that RDO is receiving them from Stihl, but it looks like they are just being pounced on by cutters.
Pass your test, book a return ticket and I will deliver on the the nearest International airport departure lounge for you.
Flights will possibly cost more than the saw- but we have them in stock on shelves.
The saw itself will only cost you $2,145 of our dollars.

I am curious about it. I'd like to handle one for sure. I'm more interested in the 400 as a replacement for the aging 290. My 461 is only 4 or 5 years old and still runs like new.
The 400 is a 362 with nitrous and weighs less. Mine pulled a 25" bar with zero issues other and it was the strangest thing, when I had cut down the poplar and was cleaning the stump removing the cookie with the threads, the 400 bogged down big time, I pulled out a little, shot the fuel to it and no more issues since then.
It was new, it was it first big cut of the day, first tank of fuel so I chalked it up to that. I have put 2.5 gallons through it total and I am very impressed with it.
With a 25” bar on the 400 the saw just tips to the front slowly, not a nosedive and that is the Stihl ES bar, so a light bar would most likely be balanced close to more evenly matched.

Latest posts

Back