Stihl ms500i with a .404 chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried being a 'living room cutter" once....
I got HELL for it!
A buddy removed an interior wall with an 056 wearing .404 chipper once. He tarped off the room, opened the window, slashed the wall down and cut it into pieces that were small enough to chuck out of the window. I asked him why and he said it was quicker than using a sawzall and was way more fun too!

Stimulus checks are a coming and soon.

82512ca5dca1dc566418e0d7260d013d.gif

I have still yet to fire up the 500i, but it is time to start thinking about this combo. 500i fitted with bar and 0.404 chain. No 28", but 32" could be okay.

For my ms880 I do have a 24" B&C. Can I mount this on the 500i? The 880 has 10mm mounting studs whereas the 500i has 8mm studs. Just for a test I would mount the 10mm to the 8mm and cinch it down good. Will it oil the bar and chain is now the question.

https://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent.../STIHL-Saw-Chain-Selection-Identification.pdf
1634914842007.png

I have still yet to fire up the 500i, but it is time to start thinking about this combo. 500i fitted with bar and 0.404 chain. No 28", but 32" could be okay.

For my ms880 I do have a 24" B&C. Can I mount this on the 500i? The 880 has 10mm mounting studs whereas the 500i has 8mm studs. Just for a test I would mount the 10mm to the 8mm and cinch it down good. Will it oil the bar and chain is now the question.

https://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent.../STIHL-Saw-Chain-Selection-Identification.pdf
View attachment 936506
Oil holes won’t line up. And you’d be taking a heavy bar and mounting it to a lighter weight saw. You need a 3003 mount, also known as D025 for the 500

Oil holes won’t line up. And you’d be taking a heavy bar and mounting it to a lighter weight saw. You need a 3003 mount, also known as D025 for the 500

Then my concern is legit. Darn! I'll still mount the bar, sans chain, and see if any oil flows. I don't care about weight, as this would only be a test, probably 1 or 2 cuts and no more.

Then my concern is legit. Darn! I'll still mount the bar, sans chain, and see if any oil flows. I don't care about weight, as this would only be a test, probably 1 or 2 cuts and no more.
Ive reversed this , mounted a 3003 to the 3002 . I had to mill out the bar slots and grind out the oil port to line up.
The 088 bars oil hole is gonna be way higher.

Ive reversed this , mounted a 3003 to the 3002 . I had to mill out the bar slots and grind out the oil port to line up.
The 088 bars oil hole is gonna be way higher.

Then this will have to wait. I'm not spending $150 or more to see if it cuts fast nor by how much.

My big wood days are coming to an end. Guy who liked tackling the big stuff with me, is getting to old. Maybe to old to cut wood, regardless of its size.

Currently I have two 32" bars and 5 chains. Wonder if I'll even use them up during my remaining years of cutting.

Then this will have to wait. I'm not spending $150 or more to see if it cuts fast nor by how much.

My big wood days are coming to an end. Guy who liked tackling the big stuff with me, is getting to old. Maybe to old to cut wood, regardless of its size.

Currently I have two 32" bars and 5 chains. Wonder if I'll even use them up during my remaining years of cutting.
If any of your current bars are .063 guage, you could just get a .404 sprocket nose and swap it out for the 3/8ths. I do it all the time on bars. It's super easy on an Oregon power match, but I've done stihl and homelite (Windsor) also. 20$ is alot more reasonable and you can always swap them back.

Back