Stihl MS660 Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Overpriced, outdated, heavy, anti-vibe that can hurt the hands of office worker types, must be ported to cut well, etc. :cheers: Just kidding. They are great saws. I have one and it is what most of the guys in my neck of the woods are running for a big saw.

Owning one I can say from my point of view they are over rated especially in stock form, the saws suffer from a poor exhaust system, the plugged up factory muffler.
Once properly opened up, they perform to a more acceptable level. For the majority of people on here that want one, they have do realization that in small wood up to 30" that there is NO advantage over a 440/460/372/7900 etc, other than the Tim "the toolman" Taylor advantage of saying I got the biggest, baddest chainsaw in the neighborhood. They are fuel hogs, they are heavier than most want to pack all day. They are a niche saw for the true professional. I don't claim to be one of those, just a firewood hack. The only time ours see's use is when it truly is needed in the big white oaks and black jacks that exceed 30". The rest of the time the 361/044 or 460 can handle the job. I'm to the point were I would have a good woods ported 440 or 460 that will cut with any stock 660 and prolly out perform one and not have to deal with the fat bottomed pig.

Don't get me wrong, it is a fantastic saw, extremely well built, built for the professional logger. It's not the light saber that all the owners of 290 and 310 and 390's think it is. There simply is no advantage to you get to the big wood and for the average guy they are plain overkill. Most are sold because the customer has no limit on the pocket book or has an extreme case of cad and just wants the biggest and baddest, it's not about need but the want.

Although you won't get anyone on here to admit it, I'll bet you there have been several that have bought them that have been disappointed.

Most people would be so much better off buying a 441 or 460/372/7900 as they will do just about anything that the average guy needs to be doing.

I'll bet my new 460 will see ten times the use that my 660 does.

2iqd44n.jpg

WOW! thats a nice saw! I had an 066 which i bought off ebay but when i got it it was all re painted and the plastic was repaired with screw on metal patches. so i got the parts list to see how much it would cost to get it repaired and would cost $1,125 to repair it so instead of doing that i thought it would be better to get a new one.

Thanks,
Chris

Well i love the 660s. i agree they definately need a muffmod. I cut Hardwoods almost exclusively and my 046 and my buddys 460 will not hang with my 660 in 28'' knotty maple. if your stock 460 can run with your stock 660 in 30'' wood your 660 must be tired or mine is a real runner.

Go ahead and put me into the "impressed" class. :hmm3grin2orange:

Mine does have a muffler mod though, but it's easy enough to do that. I liked it alot stock too. You can't beat one when all you do all day is drop 25"+ trees. I can knock down plenty of big trees in short time with mine. I can keep two skidsteers busy pushing them into piles. :biggrinbounce2:

If you need one, you just need it, ya know. If you don't need it then look for something that you do need. A 460 will do alot of what a 660 can do unless you're in alot of big felling and bucking. A 660 is heavier. Now if you just want one, and can afford it, by all means go grab one. If you find find one at the price you claim, buy one and three more to compliment it. :cheers:

Love my MS660!

If your cutting wood under 30" then the 440, 441 or 460 would be a very good choice. 660 is great for big oaks and pine...cuts through pine like balsa wood :biggrinbounce2:

36" bar, full skip chain

IMG_0248-1.jpg

Thanks for the replys! Ya i got a 460 now that came from the timbersports in germany and has a special carb kit and has been german tooned. i like it but would like something bigger like the 660 i used one and the torque was incredible well i thought haha but dont get me wrong the 460 has good torque too, but i just need a bigger saw. right now have a basket case 066 too.
:cheers:

I agree in general with the comments made so far. I have a 660, an 056 MagII and a 441, where the 660 really shines is in big wood. As others have said in medium sized stuff the 441 will do as well. My 660 has the dual port muffler and I upgraded the oiler pump and it wears a 36" bar. When you start bucking a 40" oak is when the 660 power really puts on a show. You have a big smile on your face and say "lets rock"! LOL:rockn:

I've got one right now. It is a lot stronger than the 2171 in big wood. In smaller wood the 2171 hangs right with it. Both of these saws have been worked on a little bit also.

Love mine. Bought an 066 years ago that was pretty beat, but was of the golden age of 7.7 horsepower stock, had great compression and ran like a champ. I was a little disappointed when I bought my 660 compared to my old 066, but once I got a pretty decent port job done on it, gutted and triple ported the muffler and threw on a max-flow, I started liking it better. I love the sound of a 66, as long as it isn't a 660 with a stock muffler, and I especially love the sound of a ported 660. Makes my pants fit weird.

Back