Stihl narrow kerf chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livemusic

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I put an 18 inch Oregon Versacut bar on my ported Husky 346 a year or so ago. The chain I put on, I bought one from Oregon and one from Stihl that I recall were, supposedly, the same narrow kerf type chain. I recall it being a new idea to allow a mid size saw to cut faster. They both worked fine. So, now buying more chains. I don't recall at the moment exactly what Oregon chain it was but the Stihl... it was 3693 005 0072. I am looking at the box. Also says 23 RM Pro. It is a yellow tag, not a green tag. Some kind of Stihl rapid micro chain? Anyway, I went to get another at the Stihl dealer and he did not have that exact model number chain. He said he would make me one from a loop, that he could make me a full chisel Stihl chain that would be pretty much the same thing. I asked him several times, this is a narrow kerf chain? He was very confident in assuring me that this will work like a charm, that's it the same chain, just full chisel. I am not sure, so, I'm asking here.

After he made the chain, his box is marked in hand -- 325, 050, 72, 18", 23RS x4. I know what everything means except the "x4."

Is this essentially identical to 3693 005 0072? I ask because I want to make sure and I have had an issue with this type of thing before.

Also, did this 3693 005 0072 narrow kerf go away or is what he gave me the same thing? Or did it fizzle in the market? Main bottom line, will this work on my saw, lol!

P.S. I think he said they have same chain now but it's 3694 or 3695. It's all confusing to me, beats me.

RS is Rapid Super, standard full chisel chain, it's not narrow kerf. Oregon would have been 95VP072 or 95VPX072. RM is Rapid Micro or some variation of semi chisel. 95VP is a variation of semi chisel and it is narrow kerf. There should be no reason to run narrow kerf on a ported 346 in my opinion. It's a lightweight chain that doesn't hold up as good as normal chain. The RS will run on your bar on that saw. Some saws I guess have clearance issues, but I've done it on the 346 with a narrow kerf Carlton bar. I never heard of the Stihl narrow kerf .325 so no advice there. I know Stihl has .043 1/4 pitch and .043 3/8LP which is essentially narrow kerf for low powered saws. None of it holds up as well as normal pitch but some saws can't pull regular pitch in certain wood. The 346 isn't one of them.

Well, I put it on and it cut fine. I was worried that my bar is a narrow kerf bar and my RS chain wouldn't be right.

The 23RM Pro you had was Stihl's narrow kerf semi-chisel chain. 23RS Pro would be the full chisel version. Not sure what the "x4" means on the 23RS the dealer made up for you. Maybe his handwriting sucks? Maybe Stihl changed the model designations? The narrow kerf chain seems hard to find (though I did see it at a store last year) and last time I looked wasn't even listed on the Stihl USA website.

RS is Rapid Super, standard full chisel chain, it's not narrow kerf. Oregon would have been 95VP072 or 95VPX072. RM is Rapid Micro or some variation of semi chisel. 95VP is a variation of semi chisel and it is narrow kerf. There should be no reason to run narrow kerf on a ported 346 in my opinion. It's a lightweight chain that doesn't hold up as good as normal chain. The RS will run on your bar on that saw. Some saws I guess have clearance issues, but I've done it on the 346 with a narrow kerf Carlton bar. I never heard of the Stihl narrow kerf .325 so no advice there. I know Stihl has .043 1/4 pitch and .043 3/8LP which is essentially narrow kerf for low powered saws. None of it holds up as well as normal pitch but some saws can't pull regular pitch in certain wood. The 346 isn't one of them.
I'll call BS on that. I run 3/8 picco/lo pro on my 066 when milling. Narrow kerf wastes less lumber and cuts faster, and I've used up to a 25" bar doing so

I have used narrow kerf chain (.050" gauge) on Stihl saws equipped with .050" gauge bars. The saws were originally sold with 0.063" gauge bars and chains. They cut very well and I have to wonder why so many Stihl saws were sold with 0.063" gauge bars and chains. Anyone know?

The most modern Oregon .325nk chain is 95txl and has oil distributing sort of scratches on the drive links. 95vp and vpx are prior product in some cases Husqvarna h30. The bars had code ml or mp, now the aluminum core ones are speedcut. The steel core laminated .325nk bars are about 0.155" and the regular 0.050 guage laminated bars are about 0.175".

For the Stihl .325nk 3690, 3693, 3694, 3696 likely yellow chisel,semi,,,,green chisel,semi. The .325 in 0.058 and 0.063 for now remains larger cutters and drive links 0.063 at the rivets. This paragraph is guess.

At least for the 3690 23RSpro the loop lenghts offered seem to be the 66, 72, 78 of Husq convention. Stihl has two bar mounts that they may offer bars in.

I have used narrow kerf chain (.050" gauge) on Stihl saws equipped with .050" gauge bars. The saws were originally sold with 0.063" gauge bars and chains. They cut very well and I have to wonder why so many Stihl saws were sold with 0.063" gauge bars and chains. Anyone know?
I've seen the 0.063" mostly on 0.325 pitch saws.

Remember using picco/lo pro on a 0.050" bar you need a solid nose bar or sprocket w/3/8 picco pitch

.063 .325 from what I have seen is a US market thing. Up here on the cold side of the border it has always been .050.
However, 23RS is not a true .050 chain, but is instead .063 with drive links that step down to .050.
23RS Pro is a true .050 NK chain.
It is easily to tell apart as the raker has a unique shape.
I know I have taken better pictures in the past, but apparently I don't have them on hand.
f498e23b3a3643ce230d8dabb4f96ae7.jpg
0d2611295fead88020647e0b6121819e.jpg

Latest posts

Back