Stihl parts question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchuckr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello all, Been here as a guest a bit in the past. Lots of knowledge in these pages, so I signed up.
Anyone here that may know the Stihl blowers well? I have a BG56 that I bought new in Feb 2018, might have 4 tanks of gas through it and Its toast. It spent more time at the dealer than it did blowing, it never ran right from the first pull or after they "fixed it" three times. Dealer had all the excuses, then warranty ran out, I am not impressed. I finally dug into it to find it only has 55 lbs compression. Easy to put a jug and piston on but when I did a little part number exploring I found most parts are the same as the BG86 except the jug and piston. It may not hurt so much putting parts into it if It had the BG86 performance when all done. The trouble I run into is there are two part numbers for jug and piston set for the 56 and two part numbers for the jug and piston set on the 86. Anyone here or know someone that can explain what the difference is between the numbers? Nikasil vs reg? or updated piston clearance? I see most pics show two rings on the 56 piston but the 56 I have only has one ring.

With most parts being the same and the BG56 running 6800 rpm and the BG86 running 7200 rpm I am guessing that the different cylinders have different porting for the extra performance, maybe not?

Thank's

The newer piston and cylinder has different port timing numbers and lower exhaust emissions. You already have the newer version because your blower is bought in 2018.
If i call up the dealer, how do you tell which number would be the non emission BG86 piston and cylinder? Emissions are way to lean for -20c blowing snow off equipment. That was the dealers excuse "they are not made for cold temperatures". I bought it in Feb, it was -35c outside and told the salesman exactly what it was used for. I had a bg55 that I lost in a fire, i would guess it's a no emissions model, it ran great summer and winter. If I repair this 56 it's getting a non emission BG86 cylinder and piston for reliability and power.

Just my thoughts about emissions. Did this emission blower contribute less pollution to the environment when I made 8+ 45 min trips to the dealer in a diesel pickup to fix it?

Thank's

I think the temperature should not be a problem. Of course the blower should be tuned for the current conditions.
The carb has limiter caps on the adjusters, might get a 3/8 of a turn out of them. Can't remove them under warranty. I had them backed right out to the stops. Once warranty was up they were removed, too late by then.

Bg 86 may use different carb, but shouldn’t be issue if adjusted properly.
also double check crank end bearings as they sometimes broke up And damaged cyl
A note of caution when blowing snow- if you put nozzle right into snow trying to make it blow heavy stuff, engine will over speed and that can/could cause your engine issue?

Bg 86 may use different carb, but shouldn’t be issue if adjusted properly.
also double check crank end bearings as they sometimes broke up And damaged cyl
A note of caution when blowing snow- if you put nozzle right into snow trying to make it blow heavy stuff, engine will over speed and that can/could cause your engine issue?
I use to jam it against the snow bank to get it to clean up and gain rpm. Thing was terrible, low on power wouldn't rev up to speed then if it did get up to speed as soon as you let off the throttle it would sometimes die. Dealer had it three times, ran worse every time they fixed it. Only has maybe 4 tanks of gas through it.

i remember when i picked it up new in Feb, well into the -20's Celsius. Guy chokes it, it fires up and he holds it to the bar and blows off a couple pieces of equipment in the yard right away. zero warm up, absolute zero. I asked him if there was any break in period or procedure after seeing that. Nope, he says. I thought that was wrong but hey the dealer knows these beter than I do. I warmed it up, but it always loaded up and struggled to rev. I think the dealer broke it the very first start, it never ever ran good for me.

Got the new BG 86 jug and slug, had some time to pull the 56 apart. Seal looks to be tight on the left and loose on the right, anybody seen this issue with a seal? It was a little oily around it but it looks to be wetter from the carb area.

Attachments

• BG56 seal 01.JPG
    BG56 seal 01.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 2
Got the new BG 86 jug and slug, had some time to pull the 56 apart. Seal looks to be tight on the left and loose on the right, anybody seen this issue with a seal? It was a little oily around it but it looks to be wetter from the carb area.
You could perform a pressure vac test to see if anything is leaking on the blower. Sounds to me like you have a lean condition with this unit. Which can cause the blower to run hot and cause premature cylinder wear. I always sold my people the oil so the warranty was extended up to 4 years at the time of purchase. Your Stihl dealer should have checked all of those issues out, when they checked it over under warranty.

Latest posts

Back