Stihl piston or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihl95

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I recently purchased a used ms440 on eBay and I was told it was re build with stihl genuine parts.. I’ve rebuild a few saws in my day and I’m almost positive this piston is not stihl.
afaedfee5bd3608970b091ac140b29be.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most original pistons and P/C kits were stamped A or B. Replacement pistons A/B. Arrow pointing towards ex , with "S" in a square

Meteor Also stamps some their pistons A and B

Grabbed these pics from the web:
1 044.png1 044 2.png1 044 3.png.

I've not done much 044/440 work so others might comment what they have seen

1 044.png1 044 2.png1 044 3.png

No, that’s not a stihl piston. Sorry to hear that mate, send him a message, because that’s not right. If it really bothers you, request a refund - it’s not as described. If he has used a Chinese clone part for the piston, you can bet he has used other Chinese parts too. I’d not risk it personally.

So I recently purchased a used ms440 on eBay and I was told it was re build with stihl genuine parts.. I’ve rebuild a few saws in my day and I’m almost positive this piston is not stihl.
afaedfee5bd3608970b091ac140b29be.jpg

So of it was sold to you as a rebuild, was it sold as a running rebuild? And if so why did you take it apart? Just to determine if in fact he used OEM parts?

The sell was very crafty when tI came to sprucing it up. He painted over mag rot and put farmertec parts on it, so I decided to check it out alittle further. Plus the compression wasnt the best. The cylinder was scored pretty good.
2e25c31eadc5a8c111fa490790d7fbfd.jpg

Do you plan on contacting the seller or possibly getting your money back? Never bought anything like that from ebay before myself.

Depending on the original listing...
Can you post the original listing from eBay?
If it is different then what you recived then let eBay sort it out. Contact the seller and ask them what they will do to make it right. If you are unsatisfied eBay looks after buyers more than sellers

Something bounced around in that cylinder for sure.

If it was advertised as ‘for parts not working’, then there isn’t much you can do. If advertised as ‘used’ then by eBay definition you should have a functional saw.

9892f50b4696afb5ae1260103226767a.jpg
I’ve talked to the sell and determined I’m just gonna eat it, I’ve already ordered a used cylinder and piston.. I’ll just have to clean it up with some WD 40 and elbow grease lol

It looks like a pretty nice ms440 in the pictures minus the tank repair, behind the clutch cover.
If it didn’t start for me on arrival, I’d be taking my case to eBay.

I fixed the tank, I used a razor to remove that bad patch job and drilled the hole to make it easier to plastic weld. Then I cut up an old tank and plastic welded it on there. The end result was really good I’ll post a photo after the completed rebuild.

I fixed the tank, I used a razor to remove that bad patch job and drilled the hole to make it easier to plastic weld. Then I cut up an old tank and plastic welded it on there. The end result was really good I’ll post a photo after the completed rebuild.

Cool I want to see that.

Man that sucks! I hate when somebody gets burned like this.
There's a old saw shop down the road from me and the owner asked me 2 weeks ago if I wanted a 440 for 500$ bucks, it was in excellent condition and he'd never use anything but oem , plus a used 20" bar on it which is a good sign it wasn't used for milling.
Ask the forum next time ,especially some of the oldtimers on here, their not out to screw anyone over .
Just check history of posts for others because as#$$-&les are everywhere now.

Good looking 440 and the price was not bad for what you got. A good piston and cylinder and you have a $700 saw. I have gotten worse than that before and underwater.. I would fix. I would like to see the tank and a good description of how type of glue used etc. Thanks good post.

Good looking 440 and the price was not bad for what you got. A good piston and cylinder and you have a $700 saw. I have gotten worse than that before and underwater.. I would fix. I would like to see the tank and a good description of how type of glue used etc. Thanks good post.

I didn’t use glue to repair the tank, I drilled out the old patch and “melted” new plastic in. I then used a small torch and a butter knife to smear and blend the new plastic into the tank. It still leaves a dark spot on the tank, but after sanding it with 220 it doesn’t look bad at all. Also I just talked to the seller and he refunded me 50$ for the piston and I’m happy with that.

Know it's too late to open resolution center ot return this (since you accepted a partial refund you won't have case), but you really should have returnedthis right off as "not as described". Saw the listing, he advertised this as used and clearly did not tell the truth about the P&C. Your's and the other 3 negative feedbacks are a big clue to avoid this seller. Don't need people like this norn3281-wipwgegdoe.

Back