Stihl PMX ripping chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Allar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey friends,
i have one of those chain sawmills with electric motor and i'm using stihl pmx chains.
My new grinder arrived, so i'm ready to start sharpening but i need to know the proper angles for that chain. The stihl chains come with a universal box and it has only the basic stuff written on it with a pen lol.
It only has the 10 degree sharpening angle and that's all, i still need to know the head angle and if i need to use the down angle (tilt) or nah.

So yeah maybe one of you has a proper chart for the correct angles, thanks!

stihl website has all the spec's for their chains. For milling you probably won't be following those specs anyway, usually use a 0-10 degree top plate and a standard side plate angle and adjust the rakers to what works best for you in the wood you cut.

I made some ripping chains for a gent up here. 10 deg top plate, no tilt, and a bit more than the 60 deg is what I did. Set the rakers at .25 or so.
I heard about it later, he said those chains cut so damn smooth he could not believe it. takes a motor to pull them tho (661, iirc)

Back