Stihl price on Ebay way beyond retail ... why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Easy on ebay to see what something is really selling for, just click on the sold box down the left side of your search. Most MS 170's that sold didn't sell for big money.
I don't know what supply chain some are using. Rural King had so many new Stihl chainsaws, weedeaters and all other power equipment it was amazing.

It does make you think. Is it REALLY the supply chain, which is getting harder and harder to believe,
or is it done purposely to price gouge.
And not only with saws.
I think you hit on it. At least some of it is price gouging. If you think it's just saws go price a jar of peanut butter or Miracle Whip, both around $5 or more.
If people aren't suffering enough from high prices Indiana always sticks a 7% sales tax on it..

I do know, for a fact, Stihl holds prices, then you get an enormous jump.
That use to happen even before Covid was born in the Wuhan facility.

In the UK saw prices on ebay are crazy, non runners sold as spare can be almost as much as a new saw. Dont blame covid or leaving EU this artificial rise is in everything and is clearly made up to get people to part with money. Shortages are made by the powers that be, there is much more to all this but we are just tiny fish that dont matter.

I'm considering listing a new, spare MS170 which I bought last summer. I've seen new, unused MS170 saws (still $199 new at stores) close for well over $400. Just the standard saw, bar, tool. No porting or other mods or jet powered enhancements ;)

What the heck is going on? Is it that some people are so isolated and just jump on Ebay to "buy a Stihl" with more brains than money?
I think you nailed it. I have been at tool auctions where people paid more than new list price for used stuff. Some people do not do their research. Even weirder, I have seen several sellers on Ebay listing the same product on the same page for wildly different prices, yet some buy from the more expensive seller. I guess they really believe "the more you pay, the more it's worth."

Amazon has also started to push a bunch of UVWXYZ brand Chinese products for common things. Thieves and garbage is what it's become. Their layoff probably won't be the last. We do make abundant use of Prime shipping, however, for things that are priced properly and shipped from an Amazon depot 15 miles away ... not Shinzen.
I stopped buying stuff from amazon because it is not good for American businesses.

You want to talk about gouging look at eggs . They put it on the bird flue. That only effected the meat hens for the most part, the egg layers were only hit about 10%
Smoke and mirrors and dam liberals, that is the problem
Yeah well, You need to start playing the "Amish Powerball" I heard it's up to 12 dozen eggs right now! :D

On top of the egg prices, many grocery store eggs have yokes that look like they came from pigeons. Compared to some local farm eggs, there's probably a 30% or so difference in yoke size.

I stopped buying stuff from amazon because it is not good for American businesses.
That is a noble effort but it seems China crap is everywhere. Even our food they hide everything.
It does make you think. Is it REALLY the supply chain, which is getting harder and harder to believe,
or is it done purposely to price gouge.
And not only with saws.
Its done purposely. But there are huge forces at work here they are trying to crash the currency and force digital NWO BS! Don't laugh open your eyes and look around.

They cant get many saws. This all started with Covid.
My dealers shelves are full. No 881's but plenty of all the other models. Usually 4-5 saws sitting by the counter with someone's name on it waiting for pickup. My buddy told me the other day that rural king also had full shelves.

My dealers shelves are full. No 881's but plenty of all the other models. Usually 4-5 saws sitting by the counter with someone's name on it waiting for pickup. My buddy told me the other day that rural king also had full shelves.
I suppose its hit and miss try finding a Stihl ES Rollomatic light bar.

Not really a concern because no one is holding my hand to buy or sell there. Just don't understand how someone can pay $300 or more (yes, they have actually sold higher in the past few months) or walk down to their corner hardware store for $199 sell price any day.

I will list mine at a fair price, only a slight bit higher than store, because it has one extra new Stihl chain and the balance of the 2 year warranty (according to several dealers here, you need to visit them to transfer it).

And I have bought and sold quite a few items, not a business though. The types of items I've dealt with also have really wild prices on occasion, but those items are never sold. (Think $3000 measuring instrument listed for ($15000)
Sometimes ebay vendors raise their prices to a large amount because they are out of stock and don't want to remove their ads. When stock comes in they merely lower the price to the correct amount.

On top of the egg prices, many grocery store eggs have yokes that look like they came from pigeons. Compared to some local farm eggs, there's probably a 30% or so difference in yoke size.
"Yoke" is what the Gov has placed around your neck, "Yolk" is that yellow "Orb" inside of an egg. Just sayin.

Latest posts

Back