Stihl repair help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like it’s going to work. I want to thank everyone for their input on this dilemma. I had never seen anything like it before. I ended up using the original JB Weld 8365. It’s supposed to be good for 550°F. A chainsaw should not get above 400°F. That is also the JB Weld product that JB Weld suggested when I quizzed them about it. I have ran it through a couple of cycles, heating up and cooling off. I am ready to give it back to my friend and let him give it a real work out to see if it holds up. I did get it super clean, and let the JB Weld and the saw acclimate to a nice warm temperature before putting it together. I used a large radiator clamp to squeeze it together while it was setting up. JB Weld suggested 24 hours set up time before trying it. I gave it over four times that much time before I tried it. Thanks again for all your comments.
Gary.
Im a Gary too

Looks like it’s going to work. I want to thank everyone for their input on this dilemma. I had never seen anything like it before. I ended up using the original JB Weld 8365. It’s supposed to be good for 550°F. A chainsaw should not get above 400°F. That is also the JB Weld product that JB Weld suggested when I quizzed them about it. I have ran it through a couple of cycles, heating up and cooling off. I am ready to give it back to my friend and let him give it a real work out to see if it holds up. I did get it super clean, and let the JB Weld and the saw acclimate to a nice warm temperature before putting it together. I used a large radiator clamp to squeeze it together while it was setting up. JB Weld suggested 24 hours set up time before trying it. I gave it over four times that much time before I tried it. Thanks again for all your comments.
Gary.
any feedback on how this repair held up? Suffered the same failure on a lightly used MS271, wondering if it is worth the time to try to fix it, Thanks

any feedback on how this repair held up? Suffered the same failure on a lightly used MS271, wondering if it is worth the time to try to fix it, Thanks
No news is good news. The friend I repaired it for used it at his work, a construction company. He never said it fell apart on him so I’m guessing it held together. Small amount of $ in the repair. A lot more time was involved.

Latest posts

Back