Stihl Saw Inflation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have you noticed the price increase on something like 30 year old 028's ?

Theres always been higher prices in California something i'd refer to as the "California premium" but i've watched prices on 028's go from $200 now its $300 min and i've seen asking prices here as much as 450 for them.

Have you noticed the price increase on something like 30 year old 028's ?

Theres always been higher prices in California something i'd refer to as the "California premium" but i've watched prices on 028's go from $200 now its $300 min and i've seen asking prices here as much as 450 for them.

Sold my 10yo ms290 for almost what I paid. It was my primary saw those 10 years. Got everything I could ask of it, yet never thought to ask for my money back. :yes:

“Inflation”

A fancy word they use that is only one side of a should be two sided equation.

How long can we inflate things before it all collapses again. I say not much longer.

Im not blaming Stihl.....FYI.

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

It is happening. Took awhile but was bound to happen.

Murdoch's had for all of 2021 been offering the 500i R at $1469. Now today, the first I have seen, it is now $1519. A $50 price increase.

https://www.murdochs.com/products/p.../gas-chainsaws/stihl-ms-500i-r-wrap-chainsaw/
The 261 that I bought for $609 this past year is now $629.
Everyone has a lot of money to make up due to ridiculously inept, moronic handling of this pandemic from the onset.
Seems, we didn’t wake up one morning and it was gone. But the 500i is still a beast. That hasn’t changed.

Americans love to buy piles of cheap junk. The current trend of Chinese chainsaws proves this.
Many do, they've been sold a pack of lies as to what the effects of buying such goods will have. They just got a good picture of it though, sure hope they change.

inflation calculator - US Dollar​

$350 in 1984 = $899.96 in 2021
Using the calculator from post 24 above, the price I paid for a Stihl 032 in 1984 isn't much different than a new 362 today!
In 1984, I had access to a good source of firewood, and I sold 6 trailer loads - 1 1/2 cord loads - for $65 per load, to pay for my saw! Today, 3 loads in the same trailer would buy the 362!

inflation calculator - US Dollar​

$350 in 1984 = $899.96 in 2021
Using the calculator from post 24 above, the price I paid for a Stihl 032 in 1984 isn't much different than a new 362 today!
In 1984, I had access to a good source of firewood, and I sold 6 trailer loads - 1 1/2 cord loads - for $65 per load, to pay for my saw! Today, 3 loads in the same trailer would buy the 362!
Do you have your trailer loaded yet :).
Not sure about what the cost was for things a while ago, but I got a quote for my pole barn package in Jan 2020 for 19.8k , when I got it this fall it had jumped to 30.2k :rare2: .
I'm now substantially over 25k and I still need bay doors (12x10, two 9x7), one man door, all my windows and all the steel for the wainscoting and siding, pretty sure I'm going over the 31.2k. I've sold all my seasoned firewood and I'm now selling saws, when spring comes I may need to sell a trailer or two or a tractor :nofunny:. But I'm just taking one or two steps back, to take 2 or 3 or 4 forward, so is life, but it didn't have to be this way if it wasn't for the overlords transfering more money to the wealthy.

Do you have your trailer loaded yet :).
Not sure about what the cost was for things a while ago, but I got a quote for my pole barn package in Jan 2020 for 19.8k , when I got it this fall it had jumped to 30.2k :rare2: .
I'm now substantially over 25k and I still need bay doors (12x10, two 9x7), one man door, all my windows and all the steel for the wainscoting and siding, pretty sure I'm going over the 31.2k. I've sold all my seasoned firewood and I'm now selling saws, when spring comes I may need to sell a trailer or two or a tractor :nofunny:. But I'm just taking one or two steps back, to take 2 or 3 or 4 forward, so is life, but it didn't have to be this way if it wasn't for the overlords transfering more money to the wealthy.
Spot on man ,if you want something buy it now$$$$$$. I also read interest rates may be going up in a few months.

Spot on man ,if you want something buy it now$$$$$$. I also read interest rates may be going up in a few months.
Interest rates are going up. It's the only way the Fed can choke off inflation imposed by our current WH that loves to spend and generate the inflation. It reminds me of a tiger chasing it's own tail.

Yep.
The feds(big banks/globalist) cant make up their minds. They stopped the inevitable at the beginning of this covid crap, now they are facing it again. The question remains, hyperinflation or crash the whole thing. My opinion is no matter what they do things will get way worse before they get better.

Americans love to buy piles of cheap junk. The current trend of Chinese chainsaws proves this.
I've said this before, but it bears repeating. These saws are fun for the guy, or gal, who loves to tinker. Outside of experimenting mixing OEM parts with the crappy Chinese made plastic and steel and seeing how powerful you can make the things run, they are a crap shoot. Some are great, and after switching out a few parts, they hold up fine, but for all practical purposes, they are not a good buy. They say there is a warranty, but unless you have a local dealer, good luck with getting it honored in any reasonable length of time, or at all. I got an Echo 620 with a 27 inch bar. It has a five year warranty. It's a powerful extremely well built saw. The local dealer appreciated my business and has always honored warranties with purchases I've made. I've even made mistakes with using machines I've purchased from them and they still honor the warranty despite the damage being my fault. I will go out of my way to shop local. That alone is worth the extra money for the saw compared to the Chinese made stuff.

<political comments deleted by moderation>

In the realm of chainsaws, there are so many good manufacturers out there. Why spend anything on a cheap saw except if you have the time and like taking things apart and putting them back together.

Latest posts

Back