Stihl Saw Inflation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The year of your Remington saw was 1965. My dad started a job at the copper mine here in 1965 the wage was 2.07 per hour so he would have had to work around 100 hours before taxes to have bought the saw.A person starting at the mine today makes 40.00 per hour so with your method saying the saw in todays prices 500.00 a miner would only have to work 12 hours to buy the saw.So my point is the Remington saw in todays prices should be 40.00 wage now x 100 hours worked =4000.00 dollars Now we can see why there are no manufacturing jobs left in North America .There will only be haves and way more have nots.
Kash

Its obvious you haven't bought anything recently lol.
Congrats on the retirement.
Now what you gonna do with your life?
I've bought a lot lately though. I just in the last three or four months bought a new house, a gooseneck, a side by side, and now another tool chest. So, I DO see/notice inflation.

Thank you for the retirement comment. I should clarify, I'm retired from full-time work. I still do emergency commercial snow removal. I'll take some trucks and some skid steers across the country when a big storm is coming, and the local companies aren't able to keep up. I just got home from being in Chicago last weekend (which ended up being a bust), and Newark and Philadelphia a few days ago. I really should just hang it up completely, but we live in the U.P. of MI, and the wife is a retired teacher. So, with both of us in the house all the time together, I've got to escape once in awhile, or it could get ugly LOL!

I've bought a lot lately though. I just in the last three or four months bought a new house, a gooseneck, a side by side, and now another tool chest. So, I DO see/notice inflation.

Thank you for the retirement comment. I should clarify, I'm retired from full-time work. I still do emergency commercial snow removal. I'll take some trucks and some skid steers across the country when a big storm is coming, and the local companies aren't able to keep up. I just got home from being in Chicago last weekend (which ended up being a bust), and Newark and Philadelphia a few days ago. I really should just hang it up completely, but we live in the U.P. of MI, and the wife is a retired teacher. So, with both of us in the house all the time together, I've got to escape once in awhile, or it could get ugly LOL!
Well, maybe things haven't changed much in da UP; but down this side of the bridge us trolls are getting hit hard, and it doesn't appear to be "transitory".

I didn't think a guy who went after life was gonna just be sitting on his duff posting on AS lol.
Chicago is the last place I'd be going, but maybe you can flash your union card or have those connections. Not me, but I've driven/delivered to many of the union sites in Chicago/greater Chicago area, even lived in the same town as that famous young guy Kyle lived in up by the boarder for a bit.
I'd be looking more towards some of the larger cities in Wisconsin or coming down this way, it's a lot warmer down here too. NY near the lake would probably produce some work too, but since I know nothing of any of those states for taxes I would actually stick with Michigan. Wow, two union workers in the house, I'd think you could do fine off her pension up there, but then again you don't sound like one to sit. My wife got out of teaching before the 2020/21 school yr ;). If you're ever down this way shoot me a message, and good luck on the plowing.

I've said this before, but it bears repeating. These saws are fun for the guy, or gal, who loves to tinker. Outside of experimenting mixing OEM parts with the crappy Chinese made plastic and steel and seeing how powerful you can make the things run, they are a crap shoot. Some are great, and after switching out a few parts, they hold up fine, but for all practical purposes, they are not a good buy. They say there is a warranty, but unless you have a local dealer, good luck with getting it honored in any reasonable length of time, or at all. I got an Echo 620 with a 27 inch bar. It has a five year warranty. It's a powerful extremely well built saw. The local dealer appreciated my business and has always honored warranties with purchases I've made. I've even made mistakes with using machines I've purchased from them and they still honor the warranty despite the damage being my fault. I will go out of my way to shop local. That alone is worth the extra money for the saw compared to the Chinese made stuff. China is under the control of the CCP, the most ruthless dictatorship since Hitler. Study what happens to the Uyghurs and Christians. Look into organ harvesting, usually a procedure done without anesthesia. Look into how they treat their own people, all controlled through a social credit score that puts you under constant surveillance. In the realm of chainsaws, there are so many good manufacturers out there. Why spend anything on a cheap saw except if you have the time and like taking things apart and putting them back together.
Well said MJ! Unfortunately the ways of the ccp are already here, and the younger generation is blindly embracing them. +1 for the echo, I have only good things to say about their products and dealer support in my area. Thanks for your patriotic post! It's much appreciated!

The year of your Remington saw was 1965. My dad started a job at the copper mine here in 1965 the wage was 2.07 per hour so he would have had to work around 100 hours before taxes to have bought the saw.A person starting at the mine today makes 40.00 per hour so with your method saying the saw in todays prices 500.00 a miner would only have to work 12 hours to buy the saw.So my point is the Remington saw in todays prices should be 40.00 wage now x 100 hours worked =4000.00 dollars Now we can see why there are no manufacturing jobs left in North America .There will only be haves and way more have nots.
Kash
Sorry if my estimate was off. It was just a blind guess at inflation. I have never seen a 500i priced at 500$ even with a roached p&c

Well, maybe things haven't changed much in da UP; but down this side of the bridge us trolls are getting hit hard, and it doesn't appear to be "transitory".

I didn't think a guy who went after life was gonna just be sitting on his duff posting on AS lol.
Chicago is the last place I'd be going, but maybe you can flash your union card or have those connections. Not me, but I've driven/delivered to many of the union sites in Chicago/greater Chicago area, even lived in the same town as that famous young guy Kyle lived in up by the boarder for a bit.
I'd be looking more towards some of the larger cities in Wisconsin or coming down this way, it's a lot warmer down here too. NY near the lake would probably produce some work too, but since I know nothing of any of those states for taxes I would actually stick with Michigan. Wow, two union workers in the house, I'd think you could do fine off her pension up there, but then again you don't sound like one to sit. My wife got out of teaching before the 2020/21 school yr ;). If you're ever down this way shoot me a message, and good luck on the plowing.
I used to live in IL. Actually, just moved here from there about four months ago. I've never lived in the city, and rarely worked in the city proper. I actually didn't live too far from kenosha, where you used to live. I was just west of Gurnee. I worked in most of the suburbs, as did the wife. Her pension has started, as she's three years older than me. Mine doesn't start until next year, when I hit 55. I could get away with not working, but at my age, sitting around the house (at least in the Winter) doesn't hold much appeal to me. In the Summers I have non problem fishing as many times a week as possible, as well as a few other things, but both of us stuck inside the house during the Winter months? I'll have to pass on that one. I didn't really want to be back in Chicago last weekend, but that's where the work was. I'd be happy if I never had to enter the State again. I went from paying 7K a year in property taxes for 1 acre and about 2,000 sq. ft. to 2K a year for 40 acres and a 3,000 sq. ft. house. That was enough to make me see how crazy the State of IL and their taxes are. Thanks for the invite, and if I'm that way, I'll be sure to reach out. You have a good rest of your week.

My post did not refer to a 500 Brufabs post said the Remington saw would be 500.00 dollars in todays price I was showing that the miners wage or other people such as skilled trades have risen 20x from 2.07 to 40.00 dollars an hour since 1965 so the Remington should cost
200 dollars original price in 1965 x 20 times =4000.00 dollars,A man had to work 100 hours x 2.07 =200.00 to buy the saw in 1965 worker today works 100 hours x40 =4000.00 dollars.
Justplainjeff I live here in Canada but my parents were from Wi my dad from Racine and my mother from Twin Lakes I am related to a lot of people in the area surrounding Chicago.
Kash

I used to live in IL. Actually, just moved here from there about four months ago. I've never lived in the city, and rarely worked in the city proper. I actually didn't live too far from kenosha, where you used to live. I was just west of Gurnee. I worked in most of the suburbs, as did the wife. Her pension has started, as she's three years older than me. Mine doesn't start until next year, when I hit 55. I could get away with not working, but at my age, sitting around the house (at least in the Winter) doesn't hold much appeal to me. In the Summers I have non problem fishing as many times a week as possible, as well as a few other things, but both of us stuck inside the house during the Winter months? I'll have to pass on that one. I didn't really want to be back in Chicago last weekend, but that's where the work was. I'd be happy if I never had to enter the State again. I went from paying 7K a year in property taxes for 1 acre and about 2,000 sq. ft. to 2K a year for 40 acres and a 3,000 sq. ft. house. That was enough to make me see how crazy the State of IL and their taxes are. Thanks for the invite, and if I'm that way, I'll be sure to reach out. You have a good rest of your week.
Where in the UP?
I lived there for 25 years in Marquette County. The property taxes where insane.
In 2017 I moved to Montana. Between having no sales tax, lower property and income taxes I have much more disposable income. The wages are higher as well.
The other thing is the climate is terrible in the UP. 6-8 months of **** weather. I was outside in a T shirt today!

Where in the UP?
I lived there for 25 years in Marquette County. The property taxes where insane.
In 2017 I moved to Montana. Between having no sales tax, lower property and income taxes I have much more disposable income. The wages are higher as well.
The other thing is the climate is terrible in the UP. 6-8 months of **** weather. I was outside in a T shirt today!
BTW don't tell the locals you are a Illinite.

.......... I'm just grateful that the extra nickel that I pay for a loaf of bread, or the extra three hundred bucks that I pay for a 70K vehicle isn't going to BK me.,.......I was a union carpenter for 20+ years,.......
I wish that is all it is. Have you priced lumber lately? Take a look and see what common materials are. I wish the price inflation was as minimal.as a few bucks. A 16ft 2x8 that was $12 shot up to $23. Then in November of 2021 they dropped back down near $13. Now they are at a all time high of $24. OSB is up near $35 from about $10-$13. Studs are horrible. Steel roofing is well over $125/square. Do not even try pricing copper wire. I am going to order 2-2-2 aluminum URD at about 25 percent of 6-3UF copper. I wish it was only a nickel

Bill G The saw mills are paying the contractors supplying the logs the same amount of money per cord of saw logs as they paid two years ago ,So the question of the day is who is pocketing the funds from the huge price increase in lumber. We know its not the bush worker is it the saw mill or is it the lumber yard or is it the Jolly Green Giant.I do not know.
Kash

Well said MJ! Unfortunately the ways of the ccp are already here, and the younger generation is blindly embracing them. +1 for the echo, I have only good things to say about their products and dealer support in my area. Thanks for your patriotic post! It's much appreciated!
Echo..love em..So I ran this one today..LOVE that Saw.Mybigsaw.jpg

Bill G The saw mills are paying the contractors supplying the logs the same amount of money per cord of saw logs as they paid two years ago ,So the question of the day is who is pocketing the funds from the huge price increase in lumber. We know its not the bush worker is it the saw mill or is it the lumber yard or is it the Jolly Green Giant.I do not know.
Kash
That maybe true with softwoods but not here with hardwood logs. Now of course what I was talking about earlier was softwoods

@Wow what echo is that? That bar looks looooooooong! :chainsaw: my stock 'home owner' cs-590 ran a 24" bar pretty good in red oak. No difference between semi skip and standard chain as I did a test. But I have not ran anything bigger nor a stihl/husky/dolmar before so I don't know more than what I felt in the cut. I planned on milling the tree till the dark brown and black chips started coming out and after it fell I seen the tree was only firewood quality. But thing split like butter since no knots.

Attachments

• 20210410_101539.jpg
    20210410_101539.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
He is saying that log prices are low and finished lumber high.
Same story with beef.
Yes I understand that but as I said that is probably true with softwoods but hardwoods are a bit different. The lumber I was mentioning is all softwoods and I have no doubt the mills have not passed the price increases on to the seller.
As for this area it is all hardwood so it is a lot different. The standing price has went up significantly (on specific species). Take for example Oak going back awhile ago there was zero market for red or white. When Walnut jumped up about 12-15 years ago no one would touch Oak. I just confirmed today some standing Oak (Red and White) prices and they are about 500% above 4 years ago. Still not good but better than what they were. I see no reason to post specific prices as that just leads to issues. I can say that the retail price today of 4/4 FAS RO is about 30% higher than it was a couple years ago but the stump price has significantly increased more.

As for beef that is a whole other issue with a lot of factors influencing it. All my cows left 4 years ago and I am contemplating what to do. I have to go talk to my banker Friday afternoon and get his opinion. I am extremely optimistic about beef prices in 2022-23. We will see if I am right. History is a good teacher if we allow it. Think about what happened to cattle prices the last time corn skyrocketed to $6-$7 a bushel. Guys could not tear out fences and plow pastures fast enough. Well as corn went back down a bit cattle jumped dramatically as the cow inventory numbers had dropped due to the converting of pasture to row-crop production. The simple fact is to produce beef you must have cows. Although there are some expensive options the most cost efficient method of producing calves is pasturing cows. If all the pasture is being row-cropped then where are the cows going to be ? We cannot stack them like chickens or confine them like hogs. to The simple fact is we will see. Last year was a record year in row-crops and even more of what precious pasture was left got plowed. Now grain prices are down and inputs have skyrocketed, we will see if history repeats

For another example take a look at hogs. Remember in 1996 when corn hit $5.21. We kept feeding hogs and did not sell the corn. Well hogs went to 7 cents a pound and that was it they were gone! Most all small hog producers got out of the business at that point and that was exactly what the large scale feeders and feed companies wanted. After that corn went back down and hog prices went back up. The big boys were making money in the drivers seat. On a side note in 1996 when corn went up and hogs went down there was a locally feed dealer that had a 1200 sow unit producing 14 day wean pigs. They sold them under contract to local independent finishers at $30-$35 a head. My wife was working in their farrowing/breeding unit at the time while she was pregnant with our first son. Well they help the local farmers to the contract price and quantity when corn went over $5 and finished hogs were $0.07/lb. Let's do the math. I do not remember the price of SBM but for simple sake lets just look at corn. If you had to buy the pig at $30 then feed 12 bushel of corn at $5/bushel ($60) you had $90 in that pig without all other costs especially SBM/protein. You marketed (what a joke, marketed) it at 250lbs at $0.07/lb for a gross revenue of $17.50. Seems a bit upside down.

I know I have COMPLETELY digressed but I tend to get on a roll.

Latest posts

Back