Stihl Saw Inflation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I understand that but as I said that is probably true with softwoods but hardwoods are a bit different. The lumber I was mentioning is all softwoods and I have no doubt the mills have not passed the price increases on to the seller.
As for this area it is all hardwood so it is a lot different. The standing price has went up significantly (on specific species). Take for example Oak going back awhile ago there was zero market for red or white. When Walnut jumped up about 12-15 years ago no one would touch Oak. I just confirmed today some standing Oak (Red and White) prices and they are about 500% above 4 years ago. Still not good but better than what they were. I see no reason to post specific prices as that just leads to issues. I can say that the retail price today of 4/4 FAS RO is about 30% higher than it was a couple years ago but the stump price has significantly increased more.

As for beef that is a whole other issue with a lot of factors influencing it. All my cows left 4 years ago and I am contemplating what to do. I have to go talk to my banker Friday afternoon and get his opinion. I am extremely optimistic about beef prices in 2022-23. We will see if I am right. History is a good teacher if we allow it. Think about what happened to cattle prices the last time corn skyrocketed to $6-$7 a bushel. Guys could not tear out fences and plow pastures fast enough. Well as corn went back down a bit cattle jumped dramatically as the cow inventory numbers had dropped due to the converting of pasture to row-crop production. The simple fact is to produce beef you must have cows. Although there are some expensive options the most cost efficient method of producing calves is pasturing cows. If all the pasture is being row-cropped then where are the cows going to be ? We cannot stack them like chickens or confine them like hogs. to The simple fact is we will see. Last year was a record year in row-crops and even more of what precious pasture was left got plowed. Now grain prices are down and inputs have skyrocketed, we will see if history repeats

For another example take a look at hogs. Remember in 1996 when corn hit $5.21. We kept feeding hogs and did not sell the corn. Well hogs went to 7 cents a pound and that was it they were gone! Most all small hog producers got out of the business at that point and that was exactly what the large scale feeders and feed companies wanted. After that corn went back down and hog prices went back up. The big boys were making money in the drivers seat. On a side note in 1996 when corn went up and hogs went down there was a locally feed dealer that had a 1200 sow unit producing 14 day wean pigs. They sold them under contract to local independent finishers at $30-$35 a head. My wife was working in their farrowing/breeding unit at the time while she was pregnant with our first son. Well they help the local farmers to the contract price and quantity when corn went over $5 and finished hogs were $0.07/lb. Let's do the math. I do not remember the price of SBM but for simple sake lets just look at corn. If you had to buy the pig at $30 then feed 12 bushel of corn at $5/bushel ($60) you had $90 in that pig without all other costs especially SBM/protein. You marketed (what a joke, marketed) it at 250lbs at $0.07/lb for a gross revenue of $17.50. Seems a bit upside down.

I know I have COMPLETELY digressed but I tend to get on a roll.
We are in a severe drought here in Montana. The county I hunted this year got less than 2 inches of rain for the year! One rancher friend has sold off most of his herd for lack of feed. If we have another dry year you may see the market flooded with cattle.

We are in a severe drought here in Montana. The county I hunted this year got less than 2 inches of rain for the year! One rancher friend has sold off most of his herd for lack of feed. If we have another dry year you may see the market flooded with cattle.
That sucks one state has too much rain the next one over is bone dry. Hope the weather is more favorable soon for ya!

Where I'm at we are drowning in rain and snow.

Where I'm at we are drowning in rain and snow.
The weather in Montana is crazy for sure. Everything east of the mountains is bone dry. Petroleum and Garfield County on the south side of the Missouri are scarry dry. Like the ground crunches when you walk on it.
Where I elk hunt in South west Montana it's been dry for the last two years, but not as extreme as eastern MT.
This year the snow pack is slightly above average in the Beartooths, but it was last year too. Then the hot weather set in and melted all the snow in early June instead of being spread out as usual.

24" maxed out. I would try longer but not impressed with its oiling capabilities compared to my Exxonvaldez cs 400, that 400 oils like crazy
I ran a 30 inch bar on my last 60cc saw. Oiling is no problem. I open the oil port on a bar in need be. My cs590 has no problem running that long bar. This is an example. The oil port is a small hole in some bars. I just open or elongated the hole . I never pressure cut or push a saw hard. Another thing I've taught my grandson. Stop and pull the bar out if the wood once in a while and throttle up a bit to let the chips fly out of the bar and let it oil some. Even when bucking. If its a big tree, I will make a cut, then run the chain unloaded a few seconds before making another cut. Kinda lets the oil flow. I think wood might wick oil away from the bar. Then also I put STP in my bar oil. I ran that cs590 yesterday but it's got a 20 inch bar at the moment. I use the smallest bar for what im doing. The Sthil 029 has a 24 bar all the time. Today my cs 352 used a 14" bar. I'm considering changing my cs 490 to a 3/8 drive and putting a 18 inch Oregon bar and chain on it. At 75 I'm not in a hurry. Just remember this. You can dremel oil holes in bars. Sometimes I MAKE a bar fit.😄🙈😄. But you'd have to have known my Daddy. Mr. No excuses hit a kid like a mule kicks. He said, get it done or get the H*** beat out of you. In a way that was good. Ha. Ha. Not a lot I can't do. It was like BOOT camp. Have a great day.

Attachments

• IMG_20181204_204716_056.jpg
    IMG_20181204_204716_056.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20180320_173941.jpg
    IMG_20180320_173941.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
That is a perfect example of why the cattle market has a huge upside potential. It is terrible for those in an area of drought or flood but if you farm long enough everyone will face it. That does not make it any easier though. Anytime there is a widespread issue such as drought, flood, wind, disease, etc AND it causes a large sell off of cows it will push the price of feeder calves and fat cattle higher down the road. It is simple economics of supply and demand. If this Fall (2021) 30% of the cows were sold off as cutter/canner/boners then come Spring 2022 calving there will be 30% less calves born. There is no way around that. In order to produce calves on March 1, 2022 cows had to be bred June 1, 2021 and since 30% went to slaughter they will not be calving. Now move ahead to Fall 2022 weaning and marketing. The feeders/feedlots have 30% less potential calves to buy so naturally they will need to bid up to keep their lots full. If you generally buy and feed 5000 head you are going to want to purchase the same number to spread other costs out over. Now lets assume the feedlots do you bid up the feeder calves and cut their capacity by 30% to 3500 head. Now when those calves are ready for slaughter the packers will not be able to buy enough as there will not be enough. If you think a packer wants to run at 30% less head then just go talk with a buyer. I will assure you they do not. Our local packer has the capacity to kill 3500 head a day and they will make sure they will do whatever it takes to run that many. Anytime they are running under max capacity they are losing money. Talk with a buyer from Tyson and ask how far they have to travel to buy pots to keep their plant at 100%. They will pay up to keep the line running. Now the big issue is they will pay up but not to everyone. That is why there is a big push for price disclosure. The small independent guys are not paid the same for the same grade/yield as big guys. Do not even get me started on "Certified Angus" price premiums. I have seen with my own eyes them pay the Angus premium on Simmental crosses and others. Heck I bet some Charolais even get it.

Anyway I have went off on a tangent again. I know the retail price of beef is extremely high but I am betting we have not seen anything yet. On a side note go price some Lamb or Goat, ooooh boy. Goats are $4 on the hoof.

One other thing the price of land in Montana or anywhere else has sure not dropped. Take a look each week in the High Plains Journal and see. It is completely different land but there is 1100 acres being auctioned in Kansas soo that is mostly in the 20 year CRP program at $38/acre. What do you think that will sell for? What is land worth that the maximum GROSS revenue you can get for the next 15 years is $570/acre.............

Where in the UP?
I lived there for 25 years in Marquette County. The property taxes where insane.
In 2017 I moved to Montana. Between having no sales tax, lower property and income taxes I have much more disposable income. The wages are higher as well.
The other thing is the climate is terrible in the UP. 6-8 months of **** weather. I was outside in a T shirt today!
I'm in Iron River. Iron county. Half-way between Iron Mountain and Ironwood. But I'm sure you know that already. What we're paying up here may seem high to you now that you've moved, but compared to where I came from, it's a breath of fresh air (literally and figuratively :) )

I'm in Iron River. Iron county. Half-way between Iron Mountain and Ironwood. But I'm sure you know that already. What we're paying up here may seem high to you now that you've moved, but compared to where I came from, it's a breath of fresh air (literally and figuratively :) )
Iron River is a pretty depressed area, so I imagine the property taxes are lower compared to the Marquette area.

Iron River is a pretty depressed area, so I imagine the property taxes are lower compared to the Marquette area.
I describe this area to my friends/family in the same way. "Depressed". Like everybody rolled up their sidewalks, and left. The tax base seems very small to me. But other than talking politics, that works for me. As long as there's not a fire, or something else that you need public utilities for! I'll explain further when I have a moment.

I describe this area to my friends/family in the same way. "Depressed". Like everybody rolled up their sidewalks, and left. The tax base seems very small to me. But other than talking politics, that works for me. As long as there's not a fire, or something else that you need public utilities for! I'll explain further when I have a moment.
Yea, it's been depressed since the mines closed in that area. Really that area hasn't prospered since the Great Depression. Lots of good folks in that area. If you befriend some of the Italian families in that area try to get your hands on some Soppressa, Cudighi and homemade wine.

Bwalker, I knew that was you! . As for me , I would like to live there , ,, I think. Told my wife I am moving to Upper Michigan, she said " I'll miss you !"... However, I would never live in Iron or Marquette co. It would be lower Delta co. or Menomonee co. and only close to Green Bay. As for infaltion, it is not even here yet compared to the spiral we will likely see in a few years. As a result, I have been stocking up on certain things that have not gone up yet. Oil and filters , tooth paste, and clothes. ANYTHING that is consumer staples is a must. You will use it. I even run past Good WIll a few times a month and the blue jeans are even getting scarce. I was there today and thought out loud, someday , these shelves will be empty. Just wait till we loose the greenback as the reserve currency , everything from over seas will double and Americans will be shell shocked with the prices and we dont know how to make anything anymore. I figured my 026 Stihl has a crank case leak and is not worth fixing. My 034 is 30 yrs. old this month and my newest saw is a Stihll 441 that is 13 yrs. old. SO, I went and bought an ECHO 620P for $601 after tax . Next yr, it will be $660 for sure.

Bwalker, I knew that was you! . As for me , I would like to live there , ,, I think. Told my wife I am moving to Upper Michigan, she said " I'll miss you !"... However, I would never live in Iron or Marquette co. It would be lower Delta co. or Menomonee co. and only close to Green Bay. As for infaltion, it is not even here yet compared to the spiral we will likely see in a few years. As a result, I have been stocking up on certain things that have not gone up yet. Oil and filters , tooth paste, and clothes. ANYTHING that is consumer staples is a must. You will use it. I even run past Good WIll a few times a month and the blue jeans are even getting scarce. I was there today and thought out loud, someday , these shelves will be empty. Just wait till we loose the greenback as the reserve currency , everything from over seas will double and Americans will be shell shocked with the prices and we dont know how to make anything anymore. I figured my 026 Stihl has a crank case leak and is not worth fixing. My 034 is 30 yrs. old this month and my newest saw is a Stihll 441 that is 13 yrs. old. SO, I went and bought an ECHO 620P for $601 after tax . Next yr, it will be $660 for sure.
You will LOVE that saw. It's the Jesus or Buddha of saws. Brings joy. Ha. Ha. I've been saved by Echo, it's my new Religion. I preach Echo. In fact we need a Church of Echo. We can then Hate ALL OTHER BRANDS. We can put bumper stickers on you cars saying, Echo is THE WAY. Ha. Ha. On Saturday we can dress up and take the wife and kids along with Grandmaw to the Sacred dealership and let them touch the sacred Saws. Okay. That's it for now. Send your offering to WOW at this site. Echo bless ye. 😂😂😂😂

It is almost that bad. I only have a tank through it. It is a different saw than Stihl however. I run an old 30 yr old Stihl 034 and a Stihl 441 . The 034 is not near the ECHO 620p is, but it is 30yrs old . The Echo is not near what the 441 is though neither. The Stihl is a better feeling saw , but I know the ECHO will be a good saw despite it being heavier , bulkier , but $250 cheaper than the Stihl 362 I was thinking about. I will be happy with the saw . I got it from small shop that seems to care about ya. Had money no been a big deal, I would have gone with a Stihl 362 , just so I can swap bars .

It is almost that bad. I only have a tank through it. It is a different saw than Stihl however. I run an old 30 yr old Stihl 034 and a Stihl 441 . The 034 is not near the ECHO 620p is, but it is 30yrs old . The Echo is not near what the 441 is though neither. The Stihl is a better feeling saw , but I know the ECHO will be a good saw despite it being heavier , bulkier , but $250 cheaper than the Stihl 362 I was thinking about. I will be happy with the saw . I got it from small shop that seems to care about ya. Had money no been a big deal, I would have gone with a Stihl 362 , just so I can swap bars .
Glad to see you like the 441, a straight-gassed saw that I rebuilt a year or so ago. Mine's the 441c and it's m-tronic. Takes awhile to kick in when left cold for a week or so, but it runs like a bandit with a 25" bar. I doubt if I will ever rebuild another because it's a first class PITA to take down and erect back up. I got it from a friend when the engine died and he told me to keep the dead beast. Saw Inflation would have stopped me from buying it new.

You will LOVE that saw. It's the Jesus or Buddha of saws. Brings joy. Ha. Ha. I've been saved by Echo, it's my new Religion. I preach Echo. In fact we need a Church of Echo. We can then Hate ALL OTHER BRANDS. We can put bumper stickers on you cars saying, Echo is THE WAY. Ha. Ha. On Saturday we can dress up and take the wife and kids along with Grandmaw to the Sacred dealership and let them touch the sacred Saws. Okay. That's it for now. Send your offering to WOW at this site. Echo bless ye. 😂😂😂😂
Echo makes a good product. Problem is no placebI have lived ever had any sort of dealer presence. That and spec wise and design wise they are a bit behind Husky and Stihl.

The problem with both of those counties is they are mostly private land. Where as Marquette County you can go all over the place on public or private enrolled in CFR.
Fishing and duck hunting wise Delta is very hard to beat. Somewhere between Trenary and Rapid river wouldnt be a bad spot.

The problem with both of those counties is they are mostly private land. Where as Marquette County you can go all over the place on public or private enrolled in CFR.
Fishing and duck hunting wise Delta is very hard to beat. Somewhere between Trenary and Rapid river wouldnt be a bad spot.
Why thanks Bwalker. I want a place east of Rapid River and maybe as far east as the Garden Peninsula. . I like the big bays for fishing but never killed them, but always drove home just satisfied enough. Nice northerns in there.
And I also think they are a bit behind. I never had a Husky, however if you compare the ECHO 620P to the Stihl 362 , weather the Echo fans like it or not, Stihl is ahead in a lot of areas. Stihl has a much better air filter and is bigger. You hardly have to clean it. My Stihl 441 Magnum uses less gas than my Echo 620p and it cuts considerably more wood with the same amount of gas, granted it isnt that much anyway. The Stihl bars are likely a longer lasting bar and a Stihl 362 is a little lighter than the Echo 620P. ,,,,,, ,, , ok , the Echo fan boys , just calm down now , it's stihl ( snicker) a good saw. The Stihls new computer carb likely uses even less gas than my carbed 441. I cant imagine a chainsaw cutting that much wood on even less fuel. I almost already wished I would have spent the extra $250 on the Stihl 362. Here is why. Almost every post about the Echo said they are trouble free,,, ,,,, ,, ,, except for a couple worn out bars. . Now, a bar is about $50? If I wear out 4 $50 bars I am no cheaper buying Echo. I never wore out a Stihl bar , however, I am sure they are not in good shape .As for gas, yes, it will add up , especially at $4.00 for non ethonal premium and add $1 a gallon for the 2 stroke oil. That is $5 a gallon and I am sure the Echo will use 25 to 30% more fuel and that will add up. The Stihl in the long run is likely no more money than the Echo. That being said, the Echo was $250 less. It is a very good running saw and it really cuts . The chain it came with was extremely sharp, even sharper than the Stihl chain and I think that is why so many say the Echo cuts faster. I ran 2 tanks through it and gave the chain 1 good stroke with the file and it became extremely sharp again. This is likely why the Echo seems to win the speed cutting tests , but the youtube videos stop right there cause that is where the advantage with the Echo stops. Now now, Echo fan boys, its ok! It is a good enough saw that I might buy a 501 P or a 4910? at Home Depot. For a lousy $350 , I can likely get an Echo 4910 . That is quite a price for a 50cc saw. Just my honest observations between the Stihls I have owned and the only Echo. By the way, the 620 beats my 30 yr. old Stihl 034 by a lot , if that makes you sleep better tonight!! Snicker.

Latest posts

Back