Stihl should be ashamed of themselves.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But everyone was saying the 500 was the best thing since sliced bread!
I would not rush to judgement just yet.I have one and its a nice saw but I need time to evaluate. Fantastic throttle response and great power to weight. People are too fast to judge things. Lets see .

I would not rush to judgement just yet.I have one and its a nice saw but I need time to evaluate. Fantastic throttle response and great power to weight. People are too fast to judge things. Lets see .
But man for the price of a 500i a good air filter should be a no brainer. Most Stihl air filters from way back sucked fines in like swiss cheese has holes. My 461, I added a outer prefilter because of the inhalation of fines with the HD2 filter. I know the 461 doesnt have pre filtration. My old husky 254 SE and 272 cut way longer before filter cleanings without the fine intrusion.

But man for the price of a 500i a good air filter should be a no brainer. Most Stihl air filters from way back sucked fines in like swiss cheese has holes. My 461, I added a outer prefilter because of the inhalation of fines with the HD2 filter. I know the 461 doesnt have pre filtration. My old husky 254 SE and 272 cut way longer before filter cleanings without the fine intrusion.
I am going to see if this is a problem i just got the saw and only have 2 cords of wood cut.The 241's have great air filters,I been running them for years now.

This is a design Stihl should have improved on, it is messed up how much gets passed the hd2 filter, a maxflow is a must but it shouldn’t be that way on a 1300 dollar saw! Husky most definitely has them beat in the debris filter process. Overall quality Stihl is on top in my opinion but we all know what opinions are like.

This is a design Stihl should have improved on, it is messed up how much gets passed the hd2 filter, a maxflow is a must but it shouldn’t be that way on a 1300 dollar saw! Husky most definitely has them beat in the debris filter process. Overall quality Stihl is on top in my opinion but we all know what opinions are like.
My 441 needed cleaned half as often and never had anything beyond the filter.
I cut dry dry mesquite so lots of dust and fines. Never had this issue and I’ve killed a lot of 036, ,360, 044, 440, 441 saws. Absolutely never seen stuff like this behind a filter.

I remember when the original HD had the foam that inside the air filter. That surely didnt last long with loggers.
I cleaned my foam every time. I still have some OG 440 filters with foam in them. Back when they Made stuff to last. I’d buy a spare filter, wash filters once a week and run the spare while it dried in the shop. What a concept.

Wtf is with the air filter on a 500i?
91eeabbc-fa8b-4600-b732-37d5a897f49f-jpeg.959436
Euell-Gibbons-resize.jpg

But everyone was saying the 500 was the best thing since sliced bread!
No kidding...that air "filter" arrangement definitely feels like pretty weak sauce for "German engineering."

Looks more like "Kia engineering" or "Hyundai engineering" to me.

How much are those saws, like three grand? Seems like for that kind of jing, they could have spent another say 3 minutes on the air cleaner design...that arrangement really looks an afterthought. "Aw, jeez, we forgot the air filter again. OK, slap some molded plastic on there with a 90° twisty knobby thinger to hold the fukken thing on, we'll call it FasChange® or QikKleen™ yeah, they'll think we spent years at NASA doing the R&D on it."

I think I'd be tempted to cram a greased Chore Boy behind that mess and call it macaroni.

No kidding...that air "filter" arrangement definitely feels like pretty weak sauce for "German engineering."

Looks more like "Kia engineering" or "Hyundai engineering" to me.

How much are those saws, like three grand? Seems like for that kind of jing, they could have spent another say 3 minutes on the air cleaner design...that arrangement really is more of an embarrassment than anything else.

I think I'd be tempted to cram a greased Chore Boy behind that mess and call it macaroni.
They are pretty good with metals though.
Pretty good with plastics also judging by the 15-20 years old 025 I have on my workbench.
The saw looked like it had participated at Omaha beach ww2 but the piston and cylinder looks like barely run in.
The saw has no doubt never been cleaned, but the airfilter is clean. I guess the owner has the right priorities.

Looks good for a saw that's actually been used I don't see a problem myself?..

Now this is what you call letting fines through lol
View attachment 959566
Now they are hard workin (661s?) saws. Redgum? Ever thought of bungin Maxflows on em? I like mine but my saws don't work nuthin like yours. What's your Dad reckon?

Now they are hard workin (661s?) saws. Redgum? Ever thought of bungin Maxflows on em? I like mine but my saws don't work nuthin like yours. What's your Dad reckon?
Ironbark and no never bothered ever worrying about fines getting through as I've pulled down our saws over the years with couple thousand hrs on em with zero damage from fines must be the oil we run.

If in doubt just whack a maxi on it. I put them on all my "important" saws ie 088, 084s, 660s, 661, 461,and the similar one for the 462. Problem solved
I have been running an outerwears on my stock filter with pretty good success. I did make a rubber washer to go between the filter and the cover to add a little pressure to the seal. So far, the fines are staying out. I am sure that the max flow would be even better still. Here are a couple of pictures of my setup. This is after 2 tanks of fuel cutting dead Doug fir in winter.

Attachments

• A355E5E5-ADFD-4296-9BF1-B5808A5AE160.jpeg
    A355E5E5-ADFD-4296-9BF1-B5808A5AE160.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 51
  • AA7E4223-4DC4-4BDC-8AB0-5A895001B229.jpeg
    AA7E4223-4DC4-4BDC-8AB0-5A895001B229.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 52

Latest posts

Back