Stihl should be ashamed of themselves.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last September I was visiting CO for a wedding and saw a 3/4 wrap 500i for 1350 at a big R. Very tempted but that’s a lot and was able to talk myself down on it without too much disappointment. Looking back I’m 50:50 on the deal but now but I’m waiting on something else good so I’ll be just fine. Oth If I had bought the 500 I’d have no guilt selling a few other saws to pay for it.

I also have a Echo 7310 which for 720 bucks, has a air filter seal like a dolphins blowhole. If I had bought bought both and the half price saw had a better air filter I might be making a new post myself…

Although if anyone’s interested I’ll let them trade their 500i up to my 7310. They’ll have to pay shipping though🤣
In CA the 500i's are around $1700 last I heard, I think that was a pretty good price.

In CA the 500i's are around $1700 last I heard, I think that was a pretty good price.
If the last you heard was last week, they're probably up to around $3400 by now. Better get you a wheelbarrow

art-cashin-there-are-parallels-between-the-us-and-weimar-germany-where-hyperinflation-destroyed-society.jpg

Looks like Stihl rediscovered the old trick of adding sawdust to the oil to mask lose tolerances...
Well, if stihl is that bad at filtering air ,might as well grab "your lady's socks" and tie up around the air filter... MIGHT be a better job...
🤔🤕 ... Good thing I don't use a Stihl chainsaw... So far Makita air filter seems clean on the INSIDE... But I might still add some "lady socks" around it 😁🙄 just for my pervert fun! What's the worse it could happen? Running rich?!

I'm not going through the whole thread, but IMO Stihl missed the mark on the 500i air filter. Kinda odd, considering that most of the other Stihls are "air injected." That being said, throw a foam filter on it and it's a pretty solid saw. The power to weight ratio is like no other stock saws out there...I'm experimenting with a non-stock piston and some porting/machining in my personal 500i...when it's all said and done, I'm thinking 90cc+ power with 70cc weight.

Well, if stihl is that bad at filtering air ,might as well grab "your lady's socks" and tie up around the air filter... MIGHT be a better job...
🤔🤕 ... Good thing I don't use a Stihl chainsaw... So far Makita air filter seems clean on the INSIDE... But I might still add some "lady socks" around it 😁🙄 just for my pervert fun! What's the worse it could happen? Running rich?!
I've got 3 Stihl's currently and haven't experienced this problem with them or the ones I had in the past... Seems they created a new problem!

I've got 3 Stihl's currently and haven't experienced this problem with them or the ones I had in the past... Seems they created a new problem!
The 500i filter does suck(no pun intended,) but it's not a big enough issue to dissuade me from 500i ownership. I used to be a Husky guy, but most of the new pro Stihls are at the top of their class IMO.

I'm not going through the whole thread, but IMO Stihl missed the mark on the 500i air filter. Kinda odd, considering that most of the other Stihls are "air injected." That being said, throw a foam filter on it and it's a pretty solid saw. The power to weight ratio is like no other stock saws out there...I'm experimenting with a non-stock piston and some porting/machining in my personal 500i...when it's all said and done, I'm thinking 90cc+ power with 70cc weight.
They missed the mark on the clutch drum too to save weight they made it thinner than a soda can.

Wtf is with the air filter on a 500i?
mine has sucked dirt since day one. I’ve tried some of the suggested “fixes” from members here. I’ve also tried to trade it and can’t get a new one. Can’t get a piston either.
this air filtration system is a failure in the real world. I’ve owned this saw a year. Somewhere around 300 cords on it (poor accounting I donno exactly) I’m shocked it still runs to be honest.
I need to order an aftermarket filter I guess, but would prefer to put a piston in at the same time.
I’ll admit I run saws like I stole them. But I’ve never seen a Stihl with this kinda issue. They would be in deep doo doo if these things were blowing up from dirty carbs and all the wood going though them. I’m guessing the average user doesn’t go through air filters too often. I think this is #5 I’ve put on this saw. Maybe I should just toss it on the shelf and put some panty hose over the hole.
have a buddy out it commieforna that cut trees down during fire season with his 500i he ran a Maxair Flow filter on his ported saw, he didn't clean his filter trying to see how it would do since the original filters are junk. he knew it was running lean, but she kept going. and if those trees are in flood zone i could see why you would go thru so many chains, if the bark is impregnated with sand and grit. i run max air flow filters on my 500is no issues. use bel-ray foam filter oil on them too.

I never understood why the manufacturers have not used foam filters. They have been used in dirt bikes since the 70's or earlier and work very well.
Why would they bother? Good air filtration+good synthetic 2 stroke oil means many hours of reliable working chainsaw. So no parts sold, less profit 😁🙄
I would try an oil bath air filter in a 2 stroke chainsaw, as I had one about 20 years ago on an old motorcycle. The things I found in that oil bath when changing the oil +cleaning that mesh in gasoline,was amazing... You could use that oil as an abrasive paste, if you ask me... Just by judging its "consistency" between 2 fingers...
And that engine was also 2 stroke,yet the intake between carb and air filter was completely clean although a bit oily unlike in my makita EA6100p... Where I did found some oily stuff WITH a fine wood dust... 🤔🤕
Took me "awhile" to proces that,me puzzled since the air filter was very well placed,clean and tight on that rubber seal...
Only thing that came to my mind was : "these people don't give a **** what happens to the chainsaw AFTER is sold..." . Since chainsaws get used in many positions ,an oil bath air filter is not possible to use(unless you engineer it to STAY vertical as you use the chainsaw) but a thick foam air filter immersed in some oil ,would be possible. On condition to clean it in fresh gasoline more often.and use clean oil every time! No chainsaw user will do that. I think 😁🙄
Also,some oil will get inside the engine,so...again,might affect the 2 stroke engine!
Only possible viable alternative is...many lady socks on the existing air filter 😂
Although your girl might not be "that happy" . Once it finds out...post-8731-1213396723.jpg

Why would they bother? Good air filtration+good synthetic 2 stroke oil means many hours of reliable working chainsaw. So no parts sold, less profit 

I would try an oil bath air filter in a 2 stroke chainsaw, as I had one about 20 years ago on an old motorcycle. The things I found in that oil bath when changing the oil +cleaning that mesh in gasoline,was amazing... You could use that oil as an abrasive paste, if you ask me... Just by judging its "consistency" between 2 fingers...

And that engine was also 2 stroke,yet the intake between carb and air filter was completely clean although a bit oily unlike in my makita EA6100p... Where I did found some oily stuff WITH a fine wood dust... 

Took me "awhile" to proces that,me puzzled since the air filter was very well placed,clean and tight on that rubber seal...

Only thing that came to my mind was : "these people don't give a **** what happens to the chainsaw AFTER is sold..." . Since chainsaws get used in many positions ,an oil bath air filter is not possible to use(unless you engineer it to STAY vertical as you use the chainsaw) but a thick foam air filter immersed in some oil ,would be possible. On condition to clean it in fresh gasoline more often.and use clean oil every time! No chainsaw user will do that. I think 

Also,some oil will get inside the engine,so...again,might affect the 2 stroke engine!

Only possible viable alternative is...many lady socks on the existing air filter 

Although your girl might not be "that happy" . Once it finds out...
A simple oil soaked foam filters works just fine in a saw. It's really a better most trap than the crap that's been put on chainsaws for years.

It's not that hard to buy a pack of Uni foam filter sheet, cut and make your own foam pre-filter. I made a filter for my old PM saw this way.
If I have one of those saws with the pleated filter plugging you better believe I'd add or make a foam pre-filter. That's what's in my tractors, foam over paper element.

Latest posts

Back