Stihl starter spring help/advise...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stheis004

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone knows what's going on here. The starter recoil on my 192 stopped working the other day and upon inspection everything was intact and it appears a screw had loosened and the recoil spring wasn't catching correctly so I wasn't getting any recoil action. I re-wound it, put it all back together and it worked for half a day correctly. Now the recoil is still working but it's not grabbing... took it apart again and this spring is mangled.

I remember going through this a few years ago and think I just ended up replacing the entire starter assembly because I messed up a few springs. Anyone know what causes this? Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Screenshot 2021-11-10 8.03.28 PM.pngScreenshot 2021-11-10 8.02.22 PM.png

Stihl uses this type of easy start on their hand held leaf blowers too. The main reason is pulling or yanking the starter rapidly or drop starting. These starters were designed for the rope to engage the pawls and then can pull moderately fast.

Latest posts

Back