Stihls and Huskys and bars.. OH MY!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi There, I bought a saw off Mike and was happy with the purchase as well. Mike is good at describing the condition of any saw he sells.
Thanks Mike,
Kevin, you are sick, have you been drinking water from a cedar stump? lol.
John

Mike E-mail me a list of what Stihls you have and how much you want for them i'm Just getting started good with my tree service and Have purchased 5 new Stihls Last year and I'd like to save a little if you know what i mean.

Thanks
David
[email protected]

John, in our circle we`re all normal!:p

Say, I`m still waiting for you to answer that skill testing question as to where each popular chainsaw bar is made?

Hi Kevin, from our side of the border I think it goes like this:
Cannon- Canada
Stihl- Germany, Canada( made by Oregon)
Husky- Oregon ( Canada)
GB- Australia
Carlton -Taiwan as far as I know, but dont worry because Tiawan buys lots of our roundwood.
Total- Carlton?
Oregon- not sure these days.
John

Not sure Kevin. or even if it was made in Windsor Ont. The company has changed since I have used them. Walt should know though.
John

Howdy,

Winsor bars are made in Milan, Tenn. USA. The company has been acquired by Blount, who also owns Oregon. The company started out in Vancouver, Canada, on Windsor street, which is why the name. It moved to Tenn. several years ago.

Carlton's Laminated bars are made in Tawian, and have the look about them as being by Chang Lim, who used to be the cheif engineer at Windsor in Canada! (If so they will be a 1075 material, spotwelded none to great). I need to confirm if indeed this is Chang's company. I heard he was making laminated bars. (The engineer at Carlton is Shane Behbahany, who used to be one of Chang Lim's engineers at the Langley plant when the company was in Canada).

The professional bars from Carlton are another matter entirely.

I believe Stihl's professional bars are still from Germany, but the laminated ones from Oregon/Canada. Am I correct on this? (Must have been a real trick to get Oregon to put that extra little piece on each side of the bearing race!)

That's Sugihara, by the way, and they always made a good bar body, but their nose assemblies were not as good as Windsor due to no coin on the tooth tip. I'm not up to date on them now.

Regards,
Walt Galer

Back