Strange midline knot for pulling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
down here called a Tarp hitch used to pull down cover canvas tarps over a trucks load.. Tis nuthin new shown to me when i was 15 yold the complex twists method as seen you seems a bit unnecessary but if it works so then carry on. I often use one to direct a tree to where needed I perfected the tie off that allows me to quickly use and not loose the tension put on as i tie off the line

Everything is new/old to someone! My Granpappy taught me different things than someone else's taught them, when we swap ideas all gain, even the lurkers that respond to the adds and pay for this forum.

Nm it is just like the truckers hitch in ur link woodchuck. Here's another, the last minute of the video pretty much sums it up lol

Very good video. The last knot he tied looks a lot like a Blakes Hitch tied to itself. In fact, I've used the Blakes to secure loads being hauled ... and I've used it to tension the line on a tree tied to my truck while I made the back cut.

I'v been using a knotless truckers hitch my whole career. I tie it different then those shown. Probably a hundred ways to do it. I sometimes snap a pulley on it with a caribiner where the rope goes through the loop. When I learned it they said"gives you the strength of ten men." We use to use it for pulling over trees. I'll make a video today showing how I tie my version.

I take that back. it just like in that video. Had to study it for a sec.

It definitely doesn't give you the strength of 10 men ;-) More like maybe 2 men with losses to friction.

I often use mechanical advantage for pulling it over, and prefer it to winching. It gives much more control over the amount of tension and the speed at which it comes on. It's a great tool for borderline trees that need fine control. I'll usually start with a 3:1 with pulleys, and then stack a 2:1 with progress capture behind that for 6:1, or if needed stack another 2:1 behind that for 12:1. Line angle is an often overlooked and critical aspect of a successful pull over.

It always kills me when I see a pic of someone pulling over a tree, they have 150' of rope and only use a little, standing 25ft away! More rope, more leverage. I have the boys max it out. I also use blocks and set up a make shift fiddle block when need be and I have a good anchor tree. Block at the base of anchor, micro connected with a slipknot. If we need more, just add more blocks and micro's.

it's less about the amount of rope and more about the angle of the line. the closer you can get it to flat, the more your effort will translate into side pull. at 45 degrees you're doing ok. At 20 there isn't much going on. At less than 16 you're wasting your time no matter how many guys are pulling on that rope. If you're on a slope then pulling from the uphill side is the best bet. Pulling form the side is second best, and the further away the better. Pulling from the downhill side is a complete waste of time, no matter how far you get away the angle is going to be the same or worse.

A few times I've set up a remote block from the ground up high in another tree to get a true side pull on a tree. You can haul it up from the ground and retrieve it the same way. A second redirect pulley at the base will let guys get in line to pull on the rope, or make setting up a mechanical advantage system easy.

It's true that most groundies fail to understand the angle of the line though. It's not unusual to be asking them to get further away on a pull line only to get a response like "the tree won't hit me from here"

Shaun

Yep, when I have them run it out, I am trying to get it to "flat", ur right, all about the angle. I hear ya on the groundie response. I normally reply with a "shut up and do it" The boys know now and just do it.

A couple years ago I was giving two old double barn pulleys and started using them, often to the groans of rest of the crew. Now even they are asking,'' you got them pulleys'', those old pulleys have saved the day more then once. My Dad use to say work hard or work smart. Using pulleys is working smart.
I guess I should up grade those pulley though, lots of nice ones out there.

In that situation, don't think they would need to be rated, it is after all human power, so I think any old pulley would work, in that application anyways. I have thought about seeing how crazy I could get with it and set up all of my blocks and pulleys for a log dump. But then I think about how much it work it would be just to screw off, I can do that much easier sitting here.

How do you get three loops with a bowline on a bight? When I tie it I get 2 loops.

In this video at :39 I'm using a three loop bowline.
I was developing a redirect system for traverses and did not end up using this system but went to a power cord and screw links instead.

Note from video:
Update This concept is working for me but with the valuable feedback here I have found and made some changes that I think are safer and still gets me what I want in doing traverses and redirects in the tree with a very compact setup. 5.9mm PowerCord by Sterling Rope makes a good line, at 19k and in the basket configuratin I get a good safety factor. Also I am using Maillon Rapide Oval Quick Linkd to avoid the rope on rope isssue. Thanks ALL The Amsteel is dedicated to a pruning speedline now.

I doubt the loops made that way will share the load evenly, but thanks for the edification! Again!

I only get 2 too
ThreeLoop.jpg
sorry about the black rope on white sheets I'm out of town. It really is a knot, I think best suited for a multiple anchor configuration, as it is difficult, as was pointed out, to get the loops exactly the same.

View attachment 329616 yte
sorry about the black rope on white sheets I'm out of town. It really is a knot, I think best suited for a multiple anchor configuration, as it is difficult, as was pointed out, to get the loops exactly the same.
That's not a bowline on a bight. I don't know what it is. Kinda reminds me of the ole hatchet knot, the one where you need a hatchet to untie it.

That's not a bowline on a bight. I don't know what it is. Kinda reminds me of the ole hatchet knot, the one where you need a hatchet to untie it.
You are right, this is a 3 loop bowline and it comes from a bowline on a bite.
Woodchuck357 asked how to get three loops FROM a bowline on a bite.

I only get 2 too
Here is the 3 loop bowline on the left and the 3 loop figure 8 on the right.
Fig8 is a little bulkier and IMO may not be as secure if the third loop fails.
Bowline may be more difficult to get the loops the same size.
3LoopBowlinieANDfig8.jpg

Back