Strange midline knot for pulling?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joezilla11

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Saw a solo climber taking down a tree so I stopped to offer help. Large double leader- he climbed and pieced out one and felled the remainder into an open area. So he sets a line in the top and runs it down to another tree as an anchor in the direction of the fall. He tensions the line to help guide/pull the tree. Now how he tensions the line was strange to me. - instead of a midline knot he grabbed a bight and twists it about 9-10 turns, then takes another bight thru and again making several links like a daisy chain. Runs the end around the tree and back to this and pulls the line tight.

Anyone ever heard of this before? Sorry if my explanation is confusing I hate trying to type a lot on my phone. I've never heard this method talked about before so just thought I'd bring it up for conversation. He's been climbing 20+ years and said an old timer taught him that when he first started instead of using a bowline.

No it's not a butterfly knot and it's not knotted in any way it's just a twisted bight of rope with a few more bights daisy chained to it. Once it's released it all just pulls apart. He showed me how to tie it if someone wants a pic I could probably get some up this evening.

I saw a guy using a knot similar to what you are describing. He tied it so fast I couldn't keep up with what he did. I know someone who might know. Will try to find out the name tonight

Can't find the name but my uncle says he will show me how to tie one. After that I will try to find it in the Ashley book of knots

It was always referred to as a "poor man's come along" by the guys I used to work with. You can create a tremendous amount of pull.

I am having trouble finding the utube, but there is one of a Mexican dude showing how to tie the "truckers hitch" my Grandpappy taught me. It sounds like what you described. It is simple to learn, easy to tie, never slips and never takes more than a tug to completely untie.

found a site that shows this truckers hitch http://dimview.org/knots/

Last edited:
It was always referred to as a "poor man's come along" by the guys I used to work with. You can create a tremendous amount of pull.
That's exactly how he described it, said he uses it as a come along. And it was so fast that he had to slow down and do it a few times to show me.

Ok here it is. It's done loosely just for clarity. Pic 1 Bight twisted. Pic 2 and 3 are two more bights daisy chained. Pic 4 the running end around the tree and back thru to pull and tension the line

That's it, joezilla11, but you don't need that many twists or multiple bights pushed thru. Another one made in the rope before it goes around the anchor, then the bitter end passed thru both loops (first thru the one made first) makes for more advantage.

Last edited:
Nm it is just like the truckers hitch in ur link woodchuck. Here's another, the last minute of the video pretty much sums it up lol

Last edited:
Back