Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centermin

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a spruce tree that I have been trying* to fell down. The tree is big, it's 8 feet in diameter and about 150 feet.

Now, the problem is that I have been trying to take the tree down - trying, being the operative word! I cut down all the limbs up to and including 100feet but the last section, well it becase too dark and I could not get to it so I placed 2 ropes around it, 10mm multi thread polyester - strong ropes - and it is fixed to fall down away from the house (which is about 20 feet away). The problem I have is, will this leave the tree stronger or weaker position during a storm? I looked thru the weather reports and it suggests pretty strong winds and gust up to 50mph in the morning.

Also, you should know that the tree is not a leaner. There are no rotten parts, the top is single branch, and there are no deformations as far as I can see. .. . and obviousley its not dead! nor any part of it.

So, my question is, should I be worried? Because of the winds?
Thanks

Leaving a 50’ top with the rest of the tree brushed out up too 100’ will change the forces on the tree and yes, will indeed make it more prone to failure. You’ve change the fulcrum force on the tree and eliminated the dampening from the lower limbs.
Whether or not it will break is up to Mother Nature.
But I wouldn’t worry about something you can’t do anything about until your back in it.

But I have a couple of ropes around its neck and its well fixed to the ground/ other trees.

Also, I have a few limbs left, mainly on the side away from the house so as to grab the tree away.

I appreciate any help to sooth me. Thanks!

Leaving a 50’ top with the rest of the tree brushed out up too 100’ will change the forces on the tree and yes, will indeed make it more prone to failure. You’ve change the fulcrum force on the tree and eliminated the dampening from the lower limbs.
Whether or not it will break is up to Mother Nature.
But I wouldn’t worry about something you can’t do anything about until your back in it.

Here where I managed to snap some pictures.
You can clearly see the ropes on the middle photo.

Please any advice is apprecaited!

Thanks

Attachments

• foto_no_exif (5).jpg
    foto_no_exif (5).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 39
  • foto_no_exif (6).jpg
    foto_no_exif (6).jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 36
  • foto_no_exif (7).jpg
    foto_no_exif (7).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 33
Maybe I missed something - Do you really mean 8 feet diameter? If so, I would never believe a 50mph wind would take it down. Also, if by some chance it would start to go, I don't believe two 10mm ropes are going to stop it. Maybe a couple 18 - 25mm ropes would. Now if you meant 8 feet circumference, then there might be a concern. Two 10mm ropes might influence it but won't stop it.

Yeah I mean 8ft circumfence. Might influnce it?!

But the thing is that it has a slight lean away from the house, just a **** hair. And the wind direction is in support of the lean, ie. it's pushing the trunk away from the house.

I saw it today when it was very much windy and the ropes seem to 'arrest' the tree trunk in the gust. idk i am just worried.

Maybe I missed something - Do you really mean 8 feet diameter? If so, I would never believe a 50mph wind would take it down. Also, if by some chance it would start to go, I don't believe two 10mm ropes are going to stop it. Maybe a couple 18 - 25mm ropes would. Now if you meant 8 feet circumference, then there might be a concern. Two 10mm ropes might influence it but won't stop it.

Looks like he means 8' circumference.

I'm not seeing the problem, but maybe I'm missing something too. Take a couple of more whirls off, put a line in it with someone pulling and send the top into the gravel area. Then you don't have anything more to worry about. Nobody is going to say it's good as it is and don't worry about it.

Not trying to be a prick, it just is what it is.

Basically you tell me to top it off and let it be?!
If I were not ******** my pants, I would have done it today but the wind and rain and lack of confidence/ cajones - hindered me.

But your approach is what Iam aiming for - top it off and then take it down chunk by chunk.

Looks like he means 8' circumference.

I'm not seeing the problem, but maybe I'm missing something too. Take a couple of more whirls off, put a line in it with someone pulling and send the top into the gravel area. Then you don't have anything more to worry about. Nobody is going to say it's good as it is and don't worry about it.

Not trying to be a prick, it just is what it is.

Latest posts

Back