Stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drifter2406

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a stump grinder, this falls into the price bracket, has anyone used it or is there better for similar money, your thoughts would be welcome.

Stump Grinder - Grizzly 15HP Petrol Tree Stump Grinder​

I am thinking of buying a stump grinder, this falls into the price bracket, has anyone used it or is there better for similar money, your thoughts would be welcome.

Stump Grinder - Grizzly 15HP Petrol Tree Stump Grinder​

Since link isn’t working, I’m guessing the price is around $3000?
I ordered a DR back during the Chiflu outbreak for about that and it’s self propelled. You definitely want self propelled.
After I got the bugs out, I‘ve done 50-60 stumps. Some were big pine 40 year old stuff.

I can't speak to the model. Or even the make. But as I recently bought a stump grinder, let me share the 6 months of pondering that went into my decision. It doesn't sound like it will apply to your case, but perhaps someone will find it useful. (You might guess what I got from looking at my avatar...)
I'm chronologically enhanced. In good health for the amount of such enhancement, but nonetheless past the age of enjoying the abuse of my body. Last summer we had a BUNCH of trees taken down. I say "taken" because at the time I was not enjoying my usual state of good health. I was left with around 50 stumps of varying size—up to 60" (150cm). Even as I was recovering my health, I knew I (a) wasn't going to put in 8 hour days and (b) had neither the desire nor ability to take the punishment from the type of grinder you're looking at.
I looked at dedicated grinders like a Vermeer and, even used, the price didn't make sense for my use case. I do have a tractor with a PTO, and the Woodland Mills 3-pt mount grinder was less than what I'd have had to pay to have someone come in and do it for me. I have been very happy with it. The tractor does the work, and it is significantly faster than the type you're looking at. It was the least expensive option that fit what I needed and it has been totally reliable (within the amount of use I've been able to give it. The only thing I wish it had is a lifting eye to make it easier to move around the barn.
Anyway, even though I doubt this will help @Drifter2406 , perhaps it will help someone.

I can't speak to the model. Or even the make. But as I recently bought a stump grinder, let me share the 6 months of pondering that went into my decision. It doesn't sound like it will apply to your case, but perhaps someone will find it useful. (You might guess what I got from looking at my avatar...)
I'm chronologically enhanced. In good health for the amount of such enhancement, but nonetheless past the age of enjoying the abuse of my body. Last summer we had a BUNCH of trees taken down. I say "taken" because at the time I was not enjoying my usual state of good health. I was left with around 50 stumps of varying size—up to 60" (150cm). Even as I was recovering my health, I knew I (a) wasn't going to put in 8 hour days and (b) had neither the desire nor ability to take the punishment from the type of grinder you're looking at.
I looked at dedicated grinders like a Vermeer and, even used, the price didn't make sense for my use case. I do have a tractor with a PTO, and the Woodland Mills 3-pt mount grinder was less than what I'd have had to pay to have someone come in and do it for me. I have been very happy with it. The tractor does the work, and it is significantly faster than the type you're looking at. It was the least expensive option that fit what I needed and it has been totally reliable (within the amount of use I've been able to give it. The only thing I wish it had is a lifting eye to make it easier to move around the barn.
Anyway, even though I doubt this will help @Drifter2406 , perhaps it will help someone.

I've had my woodland mills for a little over a year. Works great! Lost count of how many stumps I have taken out. The replacement teeth from the OEM are expensive, I found them on EBay for $10 each.

Attachments

• grinder.jpg
    grinder.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I've had my woodland mills for a little over a year. Works great! Lost count of how many stumps I have taken out. The replacement teeth from the OEM are expensive, I found them on EBay for $10 each.
That’s one attachment I wish I bought 4 years ago with my tractor. I’ve had a company out 3 times and I’ve rented on twice. Would’ve paid for itself.

Latest posts

Back