Stump Grinders

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizake7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I'm running a small tree trim/removal business and need to start looking at buying a stump grinder. I was thinking about steering toward buying a Vermeer grinder because there is vermeer dealer close by that could service it for me if need be.

Whats the best small/mid sized vermeer stump grinder in your guys' opinion? I want it something small enough to fit in between gates but not so small that I'm wasting my time trying to make money on grinding the stumps.

Have any of you bought a mini skid steer with a stump grinder attachment? I'm sure thats a much more expensive way to go but IDK. I'll probably buy a mini skid next year.

Thanks for reading

Yes, anything without hydraulics really sucks. I’m afraid I currently own a manual stump grinder, a Toro SGR-13. It has its uses, but I’d rarely, if ever recommend anyone buy one. It’s hard work to earn any real money with one. Got a real good price on it but still not my smartest purchase.

Can't speak for Vermeer, but we had a Bandit ZT1844. 38hp, tracked, fit in a 36" gate, and super light around #2,000 so you can pull it with anything. It was slow but did the job and got places other machines couldn't. It was involved in a wreck and totaled. So we upgraded to the Bandit SG75, what a machine! 75hp diesel, tracked, about #5,000. I can knock out a 60" oak stump in under 2 hours. Plus the tracks retract and sides fold up so it can still fit through a gate. Way more expensive though.
I highly recommend Bandit products.

Back