Stump removal of overturned 30" locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woody Longbranch

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have a customer who ask me to grind a stump but I declined now he asked me for a referral for someone to grind the stump I don't think the stump should be ground it's already 3/4 2 7/8 out of the ground the roots are all exposed is a big mound of dirt behind the stump that came up on the street overturned in the roots are all exposed and there's two to three year old sapling feeders growing out of the base of the stump, a big mess in the best way to do it would be to dig the stump out and grade the hole with the blade of the backhoe, it's a 30-inch Locust stump that's been overturned for about five years with little saplings growing out of the base of the stump and out of the roots.
What is the proper way to dispose of that stump is grinding it an option or is digging it out the proper way to do it

I grind wind uprooted stumps as long as some of it is still attached to the ground. They don't grind well if an excavator pulls them all the way out. Its a lot of grinding and a lot of cleanup though. Not sure if it's cheaper with a backhoe, etc. but sometimes access is an issue.

It's a tree that tipped over so the roots of three-quarters of the way exposed and the Stomp instead of being perpendicular to the ground is parallel to the ground so you wouldn't be grinding down on the stump you'd be grinding down down on the lengthwise portion of the stump and is already a big hole where it's uprooted from I just think it would be a lot easier to dig the thing out as it's already three-quarters of the way detach from the ground come in wrap a chain around it pull it out of the ground with a backhoe or excavator put it on a truck and drive it away you going to have to regrade the yard anyways there's a 3-foot by 4-foot hole in the ground where the roots were
Need essentially be rototilling the guy's yard with the stump grinder to get the roots out.
I should have taken pictures you're right thank you for your insight

This is being overthunk if you have a stump grinder grind the stump... have you done this b4? It costs far more to bring in an excavator then to grind a stump...
We are a tree service we don't have an excavator so we use our stump grinder to grind stumps... After we grind any stump the yard will need soil and seed so I'm not really sure of the difference.
Even though a stump is 3/4 out of the ground that last 1/4 can be a real birch... not to mention not a lot of places will not take root balls so disposal may be difficult or expensive. We accept material in our mulch yard for disposal but root balls get denied. We had an excavating company come in with a dump truck full of stumps we said no way man. Next day he was back begging because nobody would take them. Not even the dump (well the transfer station) so he says I'll give you a thousand dollars to take the load, sold. They sat in the corner of the yard until the tub grinder needed teeth and we ran um through.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yeah I understand what you're saying I just had an uneasy feeling that the customer would never be satisfied with the ability of a stump grinder to grind The Roots that ran laterally out into the yard and the big hole that would be left he's going to have it graded anyways because the stump takes up 30 to 50% of the yard but it's a moot point I declined the job I appreciate everybody's input yeah everything can be done at a cost he was trying to save money another cheap prick

Either way, the hole is going to settle over time and more fill and more seed will be needed. The last thing you want is this guy coming back for free refills because your "work" didn't last to his satisfaction.

We had a large 3-trunk basswood on the side of the parking pad at our cabin. After burning it for a week, we ground what remained 8" below grade, then filled and compacted over the hole. That was 3 years ago; I just added 2 yards of dirt to bring the spot up to grade again. It had sunk and became a mini-lake.

Either way, the hole is going to settle over time and more fill and more seed will be needed. The last thing you want is this guy coming back for free refills because your "work" didn't last to his satisfaction.

We had a large 3-trunk basswood on the side of the parking pad at our cabin. After burning it for a week, we ground what remained 8" below grade, then filled and compacted over the hole. That was 3 years ago; I just added 2 yards of dirt to bring the spot up to grade again. It had sunk and became a mini-lake.

Exactly my point Jim timber
I cut all the shrubs use rhododendrons for Cynthia's and some other cosmetic ornamental plants to the ground and haul them away and ground the stumps forum ground the stumps with little stump grinder that I rent from the rental place some ewes some rhododendrons some shrubs. With the understanding that the big overturned Locust stump wasn't my responsibility
he wanted to know if I was going to pull the vines off the foundation and if I could recommend somebody to grind the big stump and I knew the guy was going to be a pain in the ass and I didn't want to recommend anybody a
I felt the best treatment was to remove the whole stump and fill it and compacted and Seed it probably because that's what he was trying to avoid was having to bring in a machine to grade the yard and there's just no way if you took if I took a picture you'd see what I meant and he would never have been happy so I understand it big stumps that overturn can be ground but then you have to address the mess that you make he was trying to put the mess on the stump grinder and it just wasn't going to happen like that thank you. That's why I I posted it he had to get some feedback from some professional stump grinders.

Yeah, there's people I've met that I wouldn't want anyone coming back at me for dumping them on.

We should have Angie's List for customers attached to caller ID. That way we'd know who's bat **** crazy as soon as they called and we could just not ever talk to them in the first place. :laugh:

Yeah, there's people I've met that I wouldn't want anyone coming back at me for dumping them on.

We should have Angie's List for customers attached to caller ID. That way we'd know who's bat **** crazy as soon as they called and we could just not ever talk to them in the first place. [emoji23]
We use arbor gold for all our estimates n work orders if you search crazy in the customer section you get pages n pages of results, haha.

Pull the stump. Once you start grinding, you're going to realize there isn't much to grind as far as attached stump. Once you grind out the last attached root to the stump, you then have a stump to get rid of. Get rid of it all and fill the hole with soil. Doing three tomorrow

That's what I thought it wasn't that much to grind it was going to be a big hole anyways just got the last three roots with whatever machine you going to use to lift it up with get rid of the stump grade the yard with a big disturbances and fix it he's bought the house to flip and there's a giant tsunami with an overturned stump three-quarters of the way out of the ground what is there to grind I guess I didn't do a good job of explaining it and there was no pictures but somebody would have been wasting their time grinding I stomped it's already virtually out of the ground except three routes yeah you could grind it if you had to if you wanted to be paid to grind the stump by the hour but you still have to do something with the big hole left behind

I have done it before to a partially overturned hickory. It was a 50" stump. Probably 10+ feet of root ball. Oddly, I had a 60hp tow behind Vermeer attached to a Kubota 6040 tractor. It took me around 5 hours to get it and the roots ground to the point that a backhoe with a root rake could take care of the rest.

If I had not had the grinder attached to a tractor it would have been a much longer job. Probably hours. The tractor was able to really get the grinder into the mess of roots so I could get access to the stump. A truck would have just spun the tires and there would have been a lot of grinding of roots and/or dirty chainsaw work that would have required a carbide chain.

If I had not been being paid by hour and was doing stump grinding as my own business, I would have definitely turned the job down.

Post a pic
But we grind them, why do you say it shouldn't be ground? You said it's right by the street? Get a big tow behind to it it'll be gone in no time!

stumps.jpg I have ground 100s of up-rooted stumps and even some that were pulled out and they couldn't load no big deal. I once ground a whole log then the stump all left for mulch :p At the last little bit of log it gets a little dicey but I just loaded it lol

Back