stumped on doing a cut

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zephyr99

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
ive been doing logs for several years with a stihl 038 and 460. 20 to 36 inch bar. but now im stumped on why things are not working properly.

got a vevor cutting frame. and it setup properly for 11/2 boards on a 8 inch oak.3 and ive cut a fair number of them. but stsrting yesterday bumped into an odd thing that has me stumped

id start a small cut . sometimes 6 inches. sometimes 3 feet on a veryt nice guide (aluminum reinforced with 2x6. (so its stiff and true) ive carefully measured that the bar is parallel to the cutting frame. its right on. but when im cutting it kinda seems to get stuck and then will not cut forward.the chain is running like it should. and i see NOTHING that is bocking the frame. it just stops.

i just dont see what the probem is. when i remove the frame and measure things- all is at it should be. i dont think its a lubrication problem since the chain moves freely after i take it out. and th bar/ chain are not super hot.

so im stumped.

Try taking the saw out of the mill and use the saw to make a simple cross cut through a log at least 4-5 times wider than the width of your bar.
If it cuts in a curve this could be the problem.
Remove any bar rail bur, check the squareness of the rails to the bar, if not square dress the bar and you may need to close up the bar rail gap
Once chains have been used for some time on a dodgy bar they will always want to tilt over, so use a new chain for flow up testing.

tks bobl. i think you are leading me to the answer on old chains. ive been trying to improve my sharpening technique and have gotten use to doing both the teeth and the raker. and for the raker ive been a bit aggressive. so im pretty sure the chain heats up a bit, and then starts going off line. which is kinda ok if you are vertical cutting but does not work (of course) for milling. before ive been staying away from the raker.

ill wait til i get a new chain. but im rather confident it will work (with new). and it will be a raker problem.

ive been doing logs for several years with a stihl 038 and 460. 20 to 36 inch bar. but now im stumped on why things are not working properly.

got a vevor cutting frame. and it setup properly for 11/2 boards on a 8 inch oak.3 and ive cut a fair number of them. but stsrting yesterday bumped into an odd thing that has me stumped

id start a small cut . sometimes 6 inches. sometimes 3 feet on a veryt nice guide (aluminum reinforced with 2x6. (so its stiff and true) ive carefully measured that the bar is parallel to the cutting frame. its right on. but when im cutting it kinda seems to get stuck and then will not cut forward.the chain is running like it should. and i see NOTHING that is bocking the frame. it just stops.

i just dont see what the probem is. when i remove the frame and measure things- all is at it should be. i dont think its a lubrication problem since the chain moves freely after i take it out. and th bar/ chain are not super hot.

so im stumped.
One of two/ three things can cause this. 1) Buried object, such as coke bottle or ceramic electric insulator; or 2) Bar climbing/ Diving. If #1, there should be damage/ dulling evidence on the cutters? If #2, it is caused by longer cutters on one side/ shorter on the other. If saw was not mounted in the mill, it would cut a curve while bucking. Inspect chain closely and measure the length of cutters, suspect you will find one side longer than the other? 3) Saw jig hitting a knot on the log, and you are just not seeing it? 4) Saw mount hitting an unseen bolt in the track? Good Luck

Back