Stupid Question - F:O Ratio

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westwood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Something chewed up the spout on my gas can. Had to replace it. For the life of me, I can't recall what the ratio was for my Husky 450 to fill the new cans.

Tried looking around, but I guess there's a 450 and a 450 Rancher. Mines not the rancher and Husqvarna doesn't list the 450 non-rancher if that even matters?

This is it here:

ZWbi61K.jpg

Just can't recall what the proper ratio was. Not coming up with much as to what it should be.

Thanks.

The "short" answer... 50:1 is what your original bottle would've sad.
Be sure to use good quality oil designed to be mixed at that ratio.
The "long" answer tends to get rather complicated, drawn out & opinionated around here so I'll leave it at that.

But, is 50:1 actually ideal? Some say that ratio is too lean and that is why I showed a 40:1 table in post #5. This has been debated for years.
Ok, here we go...
Husky, Stihl, etc all currently recommend only their oil at 50:1. Go back a few years & they recommend their "premium" oils at 50:1 & "others" at 25:1 (At this time if you bought the same saw in non emissions regulated countries they usually recommend 32:1). Prior to that it was 40:1, prior to that 32:1... During these years 2 stroke technology changed very little, oil technology improved a bit, & EPA regulations changed lots!
Consequences of running excess oil include excessive carbon build up, fouled plugs, blocked arrestor screens, around 2% higher fuel costs, & a need to tune the saw accordingly (more oil means less fuel means leaner burn).
Consequences of not enough oil are at minimum significantly shortened component life & more often catastrophic failure of piston, rings, cylinder &/or bearings (often costing more than the saw is worth to repair).
Personally I feel were trading small environmental gains with regard to emissions for large environmental losses with regard to product life.
I run quality synthetic at 40:1 in most my equipment, & at 32:1 in stuff that gets a hard time (milling saws etc)
Hopefully all that helps

it's been hours since the last oil thread
Has it been that long? Time flies!

I use Amsoil at 10,000-to-1.
pot.gif
One teaspoon of oil per 13 gallons of gasoline...give or take.

Amsoil works so well I just fill the tank of the saw with clear gas and then pour a liitle Amsoil in the Amsoil cap and place it at the open fuel cap of the saw and let the saw breathe in the fumes from the Amsoil in the cap.Good to go A can lasts a helluva long time as long as you don;t spill it.
Kash

Amsoil works so well I just fill the tank of the saw with clear gas and then pour a liitle Amsoil in the Amsoil cap and place it at the open fuel cap of the saw and let the saw breathe in the fumes from the Amsoil in the cap.Good to go A can lasts a helluva long time as long as you don;t spill it.
Kash
At that rate I bet it'd outlast the saw! ;)

Think about this 50 drops of gasoline and 1 drop of oil. There is not a lot of room for proper lubrication. This is the bare minimum with not a lot of room for other factors. Like high temperatures for one. Even 40 drops of gasoline to 1 drop per of oil is a bit on the lean side in my opinion. However I am not some individual from the EPA who has his shorts on backwards. I think that I have some common sense.

Back