Suburban Log Splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 140828

ArboristSite Member
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I got an email the other day asking "What are you up to?" Nothing ArboristSite-related lately, but I thought I'd mention a log splitter I built awhile back and never posted about. From the title you can probably imagine why. :)

Once installed I was never going to move it. I didn't want to be breathing exhaust fumes. We live in an LA suburb and I (and my neighbors, I'm sure) didn't want the noise of a gas engine, or the maintenance. I had limited space, so it had to be pasted on two walls of my woodworking shed. And I wanted to build it myself.

So here it is, my 7.5 hp electric 20 ton (or thereabouts) hydraulic suburban log splitter.

It cost way too much and was challenging in certain respects. I had about 50 leaks in the oil tank I welded...and welded, and welded, before I finally got it sealed. The six foot plus H beam was a good deal more than I should have been muscling around by myself. And there's a small leak in one of the hose fittings I never got around to fixing. But it works great and gives me an excuse to bum free logs when a tree is taken down in the neighborhood, use my chainsaw, and imagine I'm out in the woods.

log splitter 1.jpg

log splitter 2.jpg

Back