Sudden loss of compression with Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenchWorker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up an FS-80 that despite its age, looked like it just came off the shelf brand new. Took it to a job without testing it well and it wasn’t idling right - seemed lean.

I richened up the mixture and used it for a couple hours. As soon as it cooled down, it wouldn’t start anymore. After checking spark and fuel, I tested the compression and it’s completely toast.

What would cause a complete loss of compression on an otherwise perfect looking (but aged) motor?

I picked up an FS-80 that despite its age, looked like it just came off the shelf brand new. Took it to a job without testing it well and it wasn’t idling right - seemed lean.

I richened up the mixture and used it for a couple hours. As soon as it cooled down, it wouldn’t start anymore. After checking spark and fuel, I tested the compression and it’s completely toast.

What would cause a complete loss of compression on an otherwise perfect looking (but aged) motor?
Straight gas or wrong mix probably toasted the piston.

I’ll post a pic of the piston. I’m really leaning towards an air leak more than ever. I actually got it to run for 10-15 seconds with the mixture set WAY rich. Going to see if I can get a good look at the crank seal also.

I'll post pics of the piston. I do believe it has an air leak. I was actually able to get it running again with the mixture screws set WAY rich - but I only ran in for 10 seconds. I'm going to see if I can get a good look at the crank seal also.

I
I'll post pics of the piston. I do believe it has an air leak. I was actually able to get it running again with the mixture screws set WAY rich - but I only ran in for 10 seconds. I'm going to see if I can get a good look at the crank seal also.
I would check tge PTO side crank seal. It can be replaced withouy splitting the cases.
I had a FS85 with the same symptoms and a crank seal as the issue.
That FS80/85 motor is nearly indestructible.

Latest posts

Back