sugar maple branches dying - why?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CountryWoods

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
See images below. Tree is probably 20 (?) years old. Along a gravel road so no road-salt in winter.
Some of the branches on the NE side of the tree seemed to die last summer. Some leafed out this year (not all, some), but the leaves are dying off (red rectangle). Some of the tips seem to be growing little leaves (red arrow) but sparse.

Any idea what the issue may be or what "I" can do as a homeowner for this tree? there is a healthy sugar maple right next to it that seems fine. Some sugar maple saplings nearby are fine too.

I did have an arborist out last summer to look at it, nothing meaningful came of the visit. Note the red "X" in the photo - I sprayed the lawn w/ weed killer (and told him this) I think he latched onto that and assumed that was the issue which it isn't as trees near this are fine. Arborist did state its not a girdled root - unclear how he could tell that just by looking at it? (I thought that required digging/air spade?)

Outside of spraying the lawn last Spring/summer, I do not use lawn spray any more (it was off the shelf Box store item for crabgrass etc)

Tree also has some holes in a line (woodpecker? or parasitic wasps) so earlier this summer I did do a drench with some Bioadvance (Imidacloprid - LINK) just to protect for any issues I could not see. One woodpecker poked a chunk out of the trunk about 3 feet up (in May). I covered w/ hardware cloth no issues there since. This was also motivation for the tree drench.

Its been hot (90s) and dry here this summer (Wisconsin) but have hit this w/ water a few times via hose - let it run for an hour etc.

The recent leaves dying off (red rectangle) is peculiar. I did a thumbnail scratch on branches, it looks (?) like a few may be dead? but again unclear why this is happening and how to not lose the tree.

Appreciate any input or suggestions. Thanks.

COPY SugarMapleDyingAug2021_1 - Copy.png
-
COPY SugarMapleDyingAug2021_2 - Copy.png

Read up on Verticillium wilt. Can't confirm with just photos, but it looks likely. Nice looking tree, but you have some others nearby. I'd be thinking firewood in a few years if it was mine.

Yeah, lay off the lawn chemicals. That would be my guess for the dead branches, seeing as they occur only above the lawn. (Lawns are not part of nature's design.)

I would also bet that over time your tree will recover and do just fine, barring other issues, and as long as you do no further injury.

Read up on Verticillium wilt. Can't confirm with just photos, but it looks likely. Nice looking tree, but you have some others nearby. I'd be thinking firewood in a few years if it was mine.

this reminded me - arborist did trim a branch off when here and said it was not VW, though it definitely looks like it (?) esp due to the wilting leaves that started a few weeks ago (red rectangle in orig post)

have read you need to test a few places for this, he only trimmed one branch (?)

In any branch I trim (was just outside) I do not see anything like this image -I know its not a sugar maple but this was the 'clearest' pic I saw on the Internet of VW that made sense. VW is that brown ring, correct? (To clarify - this is NOT a picture of my tree, this is a pic off the internet)

vw.JPG

Yeah, lay off the lawn chemicals. That would be my guess for the dead branches, seeing as they occur only above the lawn. (Lawns are not part of nature's design.)

I would also bet that over time your tree will recover and do just fine, barring other issues, and as long as you do no further injury.

then wondering why would that cause leaves to wilt starting a few weeks ago (red rectangle in orig pic) as the weed killer was sprayed over a year ago, pushing 15-16 months. Def hoping it does recover. Thanks.

I've never seen verticillium that pronounced. I've also sent "clean" looking samples (no discoloration) to the lab and they came back positive. Point being, that ring is not some silver bullet for verticillium identification. I'm not saying that is what it IS...but that is a pretty good first guess that should be ruled out before looking for other causes. You can submit samples for DNA testing of the disease here:
https://www.vetdna.com/application/forms/horticulturesubmissionform.pdf
Beyond that, look closer at the bark. Insect damage? Phytophthora bleeding canker? Maybe even storm damage/broken branches?

Back