Suggestions Wanted. Pruning back to a vertical lateral

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danrasmuson

Reaction score
An arborist came to my house and suggested a preventive cut to a branch overhanging my home. He suggested cutting the red circle in favor of promoting the blue branch to grow vertically.

tree_cut.png

As you can see this branch overhangs the entire home.
top_view.JPG

The forward view of the home below the big tree

forward_view.JPG

Simply put, the father away from the primary stem a weight load gets, the more stress it puts on the branch union. We need to reduce that stress as much as possible, to try to mitigate the risk of failure.

I'd love further perspectives and to know if this cut seems wise.

Dan

My concern would be if both lateral and vertical limbs are over the roof. Redirecting growth energy upward while wounding and potentially weakening the remainder of the leader. You may be causing a greater future threat while you're attempting to mitigate a perceived current threat.

My concern would be if both lateral and vertical limbs are over the roof. Redirecting growth energy upward while wounding and potentially weakening the remainder of the leader. You may be causing a greater future threat while you're attempting to mitigate a perceived current threat.
great point

Back