Super Split Market Prices

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karrl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was recently at a guy’s house buying the lg fabric firewood bags and he showed me a super split in pieces. Said he was having the gas tank on a predator motor modified to fit on it. Looked to be shed kept and not overly used. Twin 75lb flywheel, not sure if there’s different options on that.

Once it’s together he said he wants $2,000 for it. Is this a good price or is he asking too much? It’s doubtful I’m going to buy it either way but I’m curious what people have paid and are currently paying for their super split splitters.

He did mention that the guy who builds these splitters can’t get Honda’s so he’s not even building them for now. With everything going on I believe it.

Google the price of a new one yet? That may help you a bit.

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

I see they’re listed starting at ~$2700 and up with different options and such. I’m curious how strong the resale market is and if anyone thinks that 2k is a really good price.
They’re really good for production but that’d be hard to swing.

Good point, a shed kept Honda shouldn’t be giving up the ghost after running at half throttle it’s whole life. Decided not to bother trying to make a deal happen on this super split. I’d be happier at $1500 but he seemed set on it.

Still curious if anyone has bought one used lately and what they paid. I think I saw a listing on here that sold for between $2000-2500.

I believe if it's a HD version it would have 90ish pound flywheels, however they have changed slightly over the years. The HD is the equivalent to a 30 ton splitter. 2k is fair if it's not clapped out. They hold their value.

Good point, a shed kept Honda shouldn’t be giving up the ghost after running at half throttle it’s whole life. Decided not to bother trying to make a deal happen on this super split. I’d be happier at $1500 but he seemed set on it.

Still curious if anyone has bought one used lately and what they paid. I think I saw a listing on here that sold for between $2000-2500.

You said he was switching out the gas tank, not the motor, which seems odd. $2K is a bargain if in decent shape, especially with a table (if it has one).

that thing sat long enough with wet fuel to rust out the fuel tank, betting the carb is trashed too . I would have had fun with the guy and asked what the engines compression is knowing it has a compression release cam setup. Tip of the day.. stens makes a fuel tank for the honda gx series thats roughly 25 bucks.

It’s a greyhound motor, he just sent me the pictures of it all back together. The motor looks pretty new but it’s definitely a no name clone. He’s sticking to $2,000 and said he’s sold two already the day he listed them. I’m passing despite my want for it. It’s not as well suited for the tree service wood we get as the commercial one we got last year.

Said he was having the gas tank on a predator motor modified to fit on it.
I'm guessing the Preditor fuel tank interfered with the engagement lever.
It could have been electric at one time. Hard saying...
Easy enough to give it a good look over. Remove a few bolts on the push plate carriage and the rack comes out. Make sure it has the double drive belt clutch/sheave.
Really not much to them.

I just timed my iron and oak at 7 seconds that’s fast but the super split is more than three times faster. It’s something that I want but I can put that money towards something that I need. Also I’m the only person who I’d trust to operate it. I cringe already watching other people split on a 7 second splitter. If anyone is interested he’s going to be putting it up on quakertown Craig’slist pretty quick.

I sold my J model electric SS for $1800. I still have a Special edition SS and Customer Special edition I've been building.
The Preditor engine wouldn't bother me much, the engines don't work to hard on SS's. I'd also bet it was an electric model converted to gas.

Just figured I’d revive a dead thread to say that I finally got a good used Super Split and I’m a believer now. Paid under 2k for an old unit that came with a 3hp Briggs and a 3/4hp Dayton Electric.

Briggs ran bun needed a tuneup and leaked gas. Long story short I replaced it with a 80cc predator engine and it’s just been kicking tail. Doubled my production rate in a day. I’ll keep my hydraulic splitters for the big stuff, but I’ll be looking towards ordering a hd unit within the next year.

The cherry on top is that I’m guessing my Super Split is 43years old. It’s got a Dayton 3/4hp dated July 1980. I appreciate a machine that has made it so many years and still works darn well.

Back