Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh-Oh.......NOAA hes revised their weather guess for the end of the week here on the coast. Not -10 'Merican as previously guessed......nope......-20 'Merican Friday night and warming all the way to zero for a nice sunny Satday!!!! Damn..... those temps just like Febuary....Oh wait......

Oh-Oh.......NOAA hes revised their weather guess for the end of the week here on the coast. Not -10 'Merican as previously guessed......nope......-20 'Merican Friday night and warming all the way to zero for a nice sunny Satday!!!! Damn..... those temps just like Febuary....Oh wait......
Years back when I was working outdoors as a framing carpenter there would be solid weeks of -18 to -20F and the lakes would have at least 25" of ice over them, so far this year the lakes are still open, no ice at all, only a few shallow ponds have a skim on them.

Guess it is igloo land up there ! Sure hope that **** don't come down here !!!

Years back when I was working outdoors as a framing carpenter there would be solid weeks of -18 to -20F and the lakes would have at least 25" of ice over them, so far this year the lakes are still open, no ice at all, only a few shallow ponds have a skim on them.
Yep back in 77/78 we had two weeks in mid Dec and two weeks in Feb of -20 degrees night tyme and -4/5 degrees in the heat of the day........I was cutting saw logs and pulp and 25 cord or so for personal use in my cabin and the MIL's old farm house up on the ridge. BRRR.
Before that in the early 70's the ocean froze for as far as you could see.......froze hard enough for guys to drive 4WDs and snow machines from south Blue Hill to Long Island.......'.bout a mile across......the old tymers said it was always that way or worse back in the day. There are written stories of folks running ice boats on the ocean from Castine to Mount Desert Island and back!!! That was before they invented insulation!!!!

Yep back in 77/78 we had two weeks in mid Dec and two weeks in Feb of -20 degrees night tyme and -4/5 degrees in the heat of the day........I was cutting saw logs and pulp and 25 cord or so for personal use in my cabin and the MIL's old farm house up on the ridge. BRRR.
Before that in the early 70's the ocean froze for as far as you could see.......froze hard enough for guys to drive 4WDs and snow machines from south Blue Hill to Long Island.......'.bout a mile across......the old tymers said it was always that way or worse back in the day. There are written stories of folks running ice boats on the ocean from Castine to Mount Desert Island and back!!! That was before they invented insulation!!!!
Temps were much colder back then, I was driving my 64Chevy 1/2 ton up the lake where our camp is and met a 57 Chev tandem loaded with logs piled 3 -4 feet above the cab roof, it was an old side loader type that belonged to our local mill, the ice was 4' thick just about everywhere all over that lake. The ocean was froze out as far as Jeddore Rock lighthouse, some cold I tells ya.Here it is last of January and its +5C here with spinach still growing in the garden, grass is still green.

Might be something to this global warming thing ? We use to ice skate on the ponds round here when I was growing up every year. They aint froze enough for that in many years.
I think there is really something to that. We were often told in grade school that our Province would eventually become the Florida of the North.

Back