Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pics Jerry.....reminds me a lot of Peter's Brook here.....short but very pretty and fast waterfall in the woods. I've posted pics of it this time of year before when the water's up. In the summer the daughter and her friends used to swin in the deep hole at the bottom of the falls........was always cool there deep in the woods even on the hottest summer day.

Those intruders were not very good woodsmen.....stumps way to high!!!!
Yea some dolt went and put up pics and GPS coordinates online and now the interlopers can find it too easily, even seen flagging tape on several tree branches helping the not so TECHIE ones to find their way in and they soon make a mess out of a place, can`t stand to have it like nature intended.

Theirs no peaceful places to hide anymore Jerry. Shame.
Nice Picture of the time and Place
It was such a serene place 50 years ago when I first came across it, back then it took me 2 hours of hiking to get there using directions related to me over a one sided fairly inebriated conversation with an older woodsman. Roads have encroached much closer now and that makes it too easy for just anyone to get there. Too bad they need to litter the place and cut down green trees that won`t burn very well when there is plenty of drier deadfall all around. The garbage and litter follow the masses wherever they travel. Lucky for me and a very few people I allow to travel with me there is still places I know of that is virtually untouched by the masses but one needs to be sturdy and have good stamina to get there.

Yea some dolt went and put up pics and GPS coordinates online and now the interlopers can find it too easily, even seen flagging tape on several tree branches helping the not so TECHIE ones to find their way in and they soon make a mess out of a place, can`t stand to have it like nature intended.

When my daughter and I first visited Valhalla PP in BC we would see 1 maybe 2 folks a week.
When camping on the beach.
Hold up a cold beer and the guy in the canoe would paddle over and tell his tale.
Very nice. Always a good story to hear.

Last time we went up ………a group of 20-30 had made a 6 ft fire pit.

Pooping 4 feet off the trail. Just stripping branches off the trees…….

An area 20 miles along a N-S lake. 10 miles wide going from 2000-10,000 ft.
Never been mined or forested.
“Canada’s Shangrila”

The easy places to hike to were a wreck. And couldn’t cashe your extra stuff on the beach when you hiked up in.

Which we did to escape the crowds. 5000 feet up in 5 miles and most of it level.
Only nice folks up there. Had to work to do that.

I can understand completely Jerry……..

Late last summer I took my youngest daughter and a close friend to a place few ever see, it takes a good deal of effort to get there,hiking carrying a canoe or in our case kayak`s, no real access just bush wacking it and when we finally broke through, just before launching our kayak`s I made sure they took in what they were seeing, then they both unpacked their cameras/iphones and took plenty of pics. I tried to impress upon them that one seldom sees a pristine sight like this, The weather could not have been better, absolutely no wind, the lake a mirror reflecting the old growth trees, the reflection spreading out hundreds of feet onto the water, a couple of resident great Northern loons were paddling across the lake a mile or so up from where we were standing while two mature bald headed eagles wheeled in circles in a cloudless sky above us. The sun had only been up about half an hour and a little bit of mist was rising off the lake surface near the shoreline, everything was so still and silent it was a magical experience. There are no man made structures to break the expanse of wilderness for the two miles one can see up that long narrow lake. It took us an hour n a half of paddling to reach the far end and many sights were to be seen, a deer feeding on meadow grass, a King fisher diving off dead snag branches to pick up a small minnow in shallow water, the eagles hung around for hours, skimming the lake surface occasionally to grab a fish near the surface, at lunch both my companions were thanking me over and over for taking them along as they never knew a place like this was even left around here. I had been making a trip up there since I was 8 years old tagging along with dad on one of our many back woods fishing trips and I must confess I had not truly and deeply appreciated all this place has to offer ones inner soul as it did this last trip with two caring companions. We ate lunch on a absolutely clean and unmarked sandy beach, we took every bit of anything we were using for lunch back out with us, leave no trace but a stray foot print on the sand is now my motto..forgot to add, we spent the better part of the day up there and saw or heard no one.

Good Lawd!!! Page 16!!!!! Had to hunt for it!!! Spent the mid part of the day in the woods with the 61/268XP conversion saw. We're gonna get 2-3" of rain the next couple daze and I had two real nice standing dead maples on the other side of a wet spot to harvest and process. Figured I'd get them today before the area floods. 40-50 foot tall not a sign of bark or limbs on them.......perfect dry firewood......that real pretty salmon color when split......burns like coal. Both those trees and one other are all stacked in the cellar now.......except for what is burning merrily in the living room stove right now......gonna be down in the 30's tonight then rain the next two daze.....typical spring weather here on the Rockbound Coast of Maine...

Was such a mild winter I had a full cord of dry hardwood left in the wood storage shelter, got plenty til the warm weather is here fer good. Was running chainsaws and the FS550 on brush cutting duty, back woods road tothe camp needed some serious clearing roadside so the truck mirrors stay attached to the doors.

Was such a mild winter I had a full cord of dry hardwood left in the wood storage shelter, got plenty til the warm weather is here fer good. Was running chainsaws and the FS550 on brush cutting duty, back woods road tothe camp needed some serious clearing roadside so the truck mirrors stay attached to the doors.
Yeah I 'm stihl/just cleaning up blowdowns/snags/standing deadwood from 2-3 years of neglect to my woodlot due to the ruined shoulder. Got one of the two big widowmakers down and a solid plan to bring the biggest one down safely. The bride suggested I wait until it leaves out as it's stihl connected at the split 8' up off the ground and stihl getting sap......and there's a large, damaged maple 20' or so mrm from it I can drop onto it and bring both to the ground and let them wilt dry and process them in the fall. If we had had a normal winter I'd been done long ago but there was zero frost in the ground and when you broke through the ice road you were in deep mud......easy to get hung up on the loader frame or 3PH hitch mounted wood splitter.........and I hate being stuck in the woods.

Hard to get much perspective from this pic but the vertical stem is about 28" on the butt. About a 12' split.....scary thing it be!!!! I figger about a haff cord in the widowmaker....probably 50 foot to the tree it's hung up in.

IMG_2037.jpg

The woods up here are loaded with blow overs from when Fiona went through last fall, last Monday I cut up an ash that made over half a cord split and piled at the camp, next trip up I have a 28 inch on th stump by 70 foot rock maple to cut up and transport out to the camp as well, that be enough wood for many late fall burnings in the homemade camp heater stove. Lots of easy to get trees all about, just back the F350 dumper right up to the tree butt and load em on, split them with the splitting axe, pile em up and let them air dry in the sun. Anything that don/t split easy gets the gas axe.

In that pic you see two blowdowns hung up crossways to each other......already got the smaller one on top down. The fairly large maple to the extream right of the split stem in the pic had the top broken off about 30-40 feet up a couple years ago and I and cleaned up that top earlier. I dropped that stem into the upper snag and brought the pair down and cleaned them up so there is just the large one left. I figger about a half cord in that alone and when I take the remaining stem down probably 3/4 cord in that......trees are 60-70 feet tall....alot of my taller/older trees are still showing top/limb damage from the huge ice storm of '98. Each year a few more reach the end of their ability to overcome that storm damage. On the bright side....there are many saplings and mid sized trees growing all about so when the big ones go it allows more light and room for them to grow. I have been supplying most of my shop and home firewood for the last 20 years off that lot and have never cut any trees that were not dead or soon would be by natural causes. Doesn't seem to depleted the forest any at all.....good soil and plenty of water there on a southwest facing gentle slope......trees grow good!!

In that pic you see two blowdowns hung up crossways to each other......already got the smaller one on top down. The fairly large maple to the extream right of the split stem in the pic had the top broken off about 30-40 feet up a couple years ago and I and cleaned up that top earlier. I dropped that stem into the upper snag and brought the pair down and cleaned them up so there is just the large one left. I figger about a half cord in that alone and when I take the remaining stem down probably 3/4 cord in that......trees are 60-70 feet tall....alot of my taller/older trees are still showing top/limb damage from the huge ice storm of '98. Each year a few more reach the end of their ability to overcome that storm damage. On the bright side....there are many saplings and mid sized trees growing all about so when the big ones go it allows more light and room for them to grow. I have been supplying most of my shop
In that pic you see two blowdowns hung up crossways to each other......already got the smaller one on top down. The fairly large maple to the extream right of the split stem in the pic had the top broken off about 30-40 feet up a couple years ago and I and cleaned up that top earlier. I dropped that stem into the upper snag and brought the pair down and cleaned them up so there is just the large one left. I figger about a half cord in that alone and when I take the remaining stem down probably 3/4 cord in that......trees are 60-70 feet tall....alot of my taller/older trees are still showing top/limb damage from the huge ice storm of '98. Each year a few more reach the end of their ability to overcome that storm damage. On the bright side....there are many saplings and mid sized trees growing all about so when the big ones go it allows more light and room for them to grow. I have been supplying most of my shop and home firewood for the last 20 years off that lot and have never cut any trees that were not dead or soon would be by natural causes. Doesn't seem to depleted the forest any at all.....good soil and plenty of water there on a southwest facing gentle slope......trees grow good!!
Got plenty of those split and broke off hung up trees to deal with on the 2,500. acres next door to me on the lake, Fiona left hundreds of em to be dealt with. No pics as the armchair army would be screaming, don/t cut them, too dangerous, need a professional to bring em down directives. Some of the clean break off ones are over 30 in dia at the break,at times 10 - 12 feet up and the top landed 20 plus feet away, blown there by the 120 mph gusts this area received, we be trimming up stuff laying on the forest floor first before dropping more into the fray.

Be no problem if your machine was big enough….. like a skidder or big heavy 4wd tractor….. one of the nice things about my little 4wd tractor is I can just pick my way through the woods to get where I want to be without cutting a road and since I process the trees right where they fall so I’m not dragging the stems around/over young trees or saplings and tearing the bark off them which I like as it is my own property. However using a tractor that small I don’t hook it to anything that is up in the air as a good sized tree or limb that contains a half cord or more will outweigh my rig and could easily upset me if something doesn’t go as planned. I prefer just using other trees to do what has to be done…. Just means more firewood to me!!!

Be no problem if your machine was big enough….. like a skidder or big heavy 4wd tractor….. one of the nice things about my little 4wd tractor is I can just pick my way through the woods to get where I want to be without cutting a road and since I process the trees right where they fall so I’m not dragging the stems around/over young trees or saplings and tearing the bark off them which I like as it is my own property. However using a tractor that small I don’t hook it to anything that is up in the air as a good sized tree or limb that contains a half cord or more will outweigh my rig and could easily upset me if something doesn’t go as planned. I prefer just using other trees to do what has to be done…. Just means more firewood to me!!!
When we bring in the 10 ton cable skidder we will deal with most of the hangers, just rip them off and down, no one needs to be anywhere close to the danger area. At 10 feet high and 10 feet wide weighing close to 10 tons, it does take a fair sized trail for access but the cable can reach in a good distance, 150 feet on the main line and have several sections of cable from 75 feet up to 100 feet for extenders. They do a lot of damage if not orientated properly, a lot of big stuff can be pulled out if just one pull route is used and use a redirect snatch block to get the stems pointed correctly, takes more time but keeping the forest floor damage to a minimum is important to us.

Latest posts

Back