Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL!! You could say that......I bet he went faster today than he evah had before......he made it to the shop but moved up a bit more to get under rain shield over the window......
Faster for sure, not many of his kin could make that claim. Found one once sitting quietly between the cylinders on my Honda 450 after a long ride from Parsborough up to Amherst. It wasn`t phased at all so I just removed it and put it in some tall grass in the ditch which had a couple inches of water trickling through, betta place fer a frog.

Well now.......my transom repair seemed to come out pretty darn good.......now I wished I'd done both sides though the starboard side is functionally fine. I clamped a piece of 1" X 5" white oak scrap covered with a sheet of plastic to the transom just even with the edge of the cut out. Then drilled a half dozen holes in the edge of the plywood transom core to key the epoxy in. Then mixed up a batch of West System and wet the entire edge of the cut out all the way around. then added microfibres to it until it was the pretty thick....about like bondo and packed 'er full then pressed a piece of 1 1/2" ID PVC pipe into it until it hit the oak on the outside and the end of the 60 degree cut out on the inside. Cleaned up the overflow with acetone. Pipe was 2" OD so it fit what was there perfectly......didn't even clamp it. It all came apart easily this morning but did leave the red printing from the pipe in the epoxy!!!! LOL!!

IMG_1529.jpgIMG_1565.jpgIMG_1563.jpgIMG_1561.jpg

Well now.......my transom repair seemed to come out pretty darn good.......now I wished I'd done both sides though the starboard side is functionally fine. I clamped a piece of 1" X 5" white oak scrap covered with a sheet of plastic to the transom just even with the edge of the cut out. Then drilled a half dozen holes in the edge of the plywood transom core to key the epoxy in. Then mixed up a batch of West System and wet the entire edge of the cut out all the way around. then added microfibres to it until it was the pretty thick....about like bondo and packed 'er full then pressed a piece of 1 1/2" ID PVC pipe into it until it hit the oak on the outside and the end of the 60 degree cut out on the inside. Cleaned up the overflow with acetone. Pipe was 2" OD so it fit what was there perfectly......didn't even clamp it. It all came apart easily this morning but did leave the red printing from the pipe in the epoxy!!!! LOL!!

View attachment 927677View attachment 927678View attachment 927679View attachment 927680
That will make a fine seal surface.

That will make a fine seal surface.
Yep it should.......the whole sanded area is gonna get a nice coat of white gelcoat today and right around the corner and coat the entire edges of the whole cut out too......won't buff that out but will likely have to polish the whole surface of the transom in order to blend everything in properly. My 600, 800, 1000 and 1200 grit wet/dry paper should be here in todaze mail. Got three new wool pads for my buffer and a qt. of Total Buff rubbing compound so should make pretty quick work of it.

Well now.....sanded out my first layer of gelcoat this morning.......whoa!!......Way to white!!! Guess my white boat is not actually white!! Had to jump on the fat white boy and blast down the coast in holiday traffic to the marine supply and get some pigment to add. Was not sure what colors to get so got a small tube of red and one of yellow.. Oh my!!! The red didn't cut it....tossed that batch and rigged up a second and used just a the tinyist touch of yellow.....not even hardly any...not even a drop. That one came out probably as close as I'm ever gonna get it so on it went. Won't know for sure until it set up and I sand on it some. Much closer that it was anyway. It's mostly covered by bottom paint and the gimbal housing....

IMG_1568.jpgIMG_1566.jpg

Ya, tinting any product to match an older weathered surface like a boat is a work of art- artist- restorer, I am no good at colors at all .
Yeah I quit whilst I was ahead....it's a lot closer to a match than straight out of the can white was. Probably the "correct way" would be to recoat the entire transom but I have no time and little inclination to get into that at this time.

Yeah I quit whilst I was ahead....it's a lot closer to a match than straight out of the can white was. Probably the "correct way" would be to recoat the entire transom but I have no time and little inclination to get into that at this time.
A perfect color match is only esthetics, it will not make it work any better, part of the all show no go line of thought. Mechanically and structurally sound is where its really at when in actual use. You plan on making it out to the island/camp before winter sits in.?

A perfect color match is only esthetics, it will not make it work any better, part of the all show no go line of thought. Mechanically and structurally sound is where its really at when in actual use. You plan on making it out to the island/camp before winter sits in.?
Oh yeah......daughter will be back the 26th of this month and we plan on being out there for a week or so around the first of Oct. Then of course I'll be out there a lot from then on until thanksgiving....wanna get the other three sills in under the small cabin and got a new door and windows to put in it as well.

So.....that was fun ....right up until I sanded through to a darker substrate....sigh.....so i mixed up a new batch and add just a wee tad more yellow and I think I ended up with a pretty fair match...better than I got yesterday. First pic is yesterday with a bit of yellow added. Second is today with a bit more yellow.IMG_1569.jpgIMG_1575.jpg

So.....that was fun ....right up until I sanded through to a darker substrate....sigh.....so i mixed up a new batch and add just a wee tad more yellow and I think I ended up with a pretty fair match...better than I got yesterday. First pic is yesterday with a bit of yellow added. Second is today with a bit more yellow.View attachment 928130View attachment 928131
There ya go, instant aged and a closer match. Easy on the sandout.

Oh yeah......daughter will be back the 26th of this month and we plan on being out there for a week or so around the first of Oct. Then of course I'll be out there a lot from then on until thanksgiving....wanna get the other three sills in under the small cabin and got a new door and windows to put in it as well.
Always more work to do on em, I am down to refinishing the last room on mine. Been a long journey spanning many years now but drawing to near a close. Ready to board in the walls and ceiling and hope to have that done before the weather gets too cold to travel up there this season.

A bit of chainsaw talk, my next door neighbor has a Jonsered 2166 and its getting a bit tired, is losing spark when it warms up. I am getting a bit tired of hearing him curse when it slows up and even more when it stops running and won`t restart til cooled down. I might offer to do an overhaul on it for him this coming winter. Just wondering if a 266XP would be close power wise as I have a rather nice one I could loan him right now as he needs to get his firewood chunked up for this coming winter. He seems to have an aversion to running one of my ported Stihl 044`s... ;)

A bit of chainsaw talk, my next door neighbor has a Jonsered 2166 and its getting a bit tired, is losing spark when it warms up. I am getting a bit tired of hearing him curse when it slows up and even more when it stops running and won`t restart til cooled down. I might offer to do an overhaul on it for him this coming winter. Just wondering if a 266XP would be close power wise as I have a rather nice one I could loan him right now as he needs to get his firewood chunked up for this coming winter. He seems to have an aversion to running one of my ported Stihl 044`s... ;)
Yep a 266XP would be pretty close power wise, with a sharp chain but would likely not be as smooth to run vibration wise.

I will give him a choice, buy a new spring mounted saw or he can borrow the 266 that doesn`t have a scratch on it yet. I ran it for about a half tank of fuel, seemed good powerwise but felt short between the handles.

I will give him a choice, buy a new spring mounted saw or he can borrow the 266 that doesn`t have a scratch on it yet. I ran it for about a half tank of fuel, seemed good powerwise but felt short between the handles.
I 'spect he'll take you up on your generous offer considering the price of saws of that caliber today!!

Well......mixed results on my gelcoat job.......nice and smooth but was not quite as good color match as I thought. Some of the problem is by the time I got it worked down to where it needed to be it exposed some of the whiter substrate.....but...meh.....I'll deal with aesthetics later ....not like she's a show boat...more like a pickup truck. .It's flat, smooth and going together....time's a waistin"!!!:chainsaw:

IMG_1580.jpgIMG_1577.jpg

Back