Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats ugly Robin ! Real wonder it didn't come apart on you.
Yes you're right......pretty poor...thing is you can't see any of that when everything is installed. Even more pizz poor was that the two lowest fasteners were not steel studs like the new one has but 1/2" aluminum carriage bolts.........one was rotted clear away... came out as dust and bits. The other was badly eroded but came out in one piece. PITA to go all through this but better than a failure at sea!!!!

Miserable device in its natural state ... towed.
d93225385f2c2fd042fdcfcdf709c7ed.jpg

Well........I'm done with that.....got a real good color match but ended up bringing up a little white from below at about 11:00 right at the end...meh....shoulda ground that **** right out of there rather than covering it up.
Learned a lot I didn't know about polyester resins with wax and without wax and the reasons/times of use for each. If I have to do this type of repair again will be purchasing much more wisely. Stihl.......it's in better shape than the whole time I've owned this boat .....so it goes....as usual I shot for 100% and ended up about 85% in this part of the project....in the big picture not to shabby for first foray into finishing gelcoat. I've done a pile of glass work over the years from laying up hulls to creating plugs to take molds from to repair work large and small but not the outside final finish. Kinda like I build houses but don't paint them.......

Did purchase a router speed controller for my Porter Cable HD305 7" polisher.......good investment...needed more variable rpm rather than just single speed as that just wanted to fling the buffing compound everywhere on start up. Much betterer.....

IMG_1598.jpg

Well........I'm done with that.....got a real good color match but ended up bringing up a little white from below at about 11:00 right at the end...meh....shoulda ground that **** right out of there rather than covering it up.
Learned a lot I didn't know about polyester resins with wax and without wax and the reasons/times of use for each. If I have to do this type of repair again will be purchasing much more wisely. Stihl.......it's in better shape than the whole time I've owned this boat .....so it goes....as usual I shot for 100% and ended up about 85% in this part of the project....in the big picture not to shabby for first foray into finishing gelcoat. I've done a pile of glass work over the years from laying up hulls to creating plugs to take molds from to repair work large and small but not the outside final finish. Kinda like I build houses but don't paint them.......

Did purchase a router speed controller for my Porter Cable HD305 7" polisher.......good investment...needed more variable rpm rather than just single speed as that just wanted to fling the buffing compound everywhere on start up. Much betterer.....

View attachment 929319
Good job, watertight is the main concern.

Ok...Stihl is better than Husqvarna....whats the deal with these flippy caps? I want to buy a saw from Homedepot! What bar oil is best? Really how hard is that one.

I will come up with some more...Happy Newyearpoukan

Ok...Stihl is better than Husqvarna....whats the deal with these flippy caps? I want to buy a saw from Homedepot! What bar oil is best? Really how hard is that one.

I will come up with some more...Happy Newyear!
Poulan makes the best saw ever made. With Craftsman a close second

Kinda slow day........couple visitors took up tyme.....motor work. SS Hardin water pump install....pulled sparkplug to get the numbers...AC Delco 41-101...gapped 0.060"....ordered 6 from amazon...be here in the morning....so they say.....the old ones looked fine but been in there 280 hours....much easier to change them now with the motor out! Pulled the crank pulley as it was rusting from the water pump fail last summer....repaint that in the morning and replace all bolts with SS ones.

IMG_1609.jpgIMG_1607.jpgIMG_1606.jpgIMG_1608.jpg

Latest posts

Back