Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
e637ddff987022deb333c0605b1a162d.jpg

Totally crappy day here.....snow, sleet, freezing rain, rain and wicked gusty winds...like to 60 mph....lights flickering now and then.....may go dark anytyme...

Nice in the shop.....brides XC 90 ready for the road trip to Bean Town......after that worked a bit on the old PanHead rear section.....wheel is all ready with to install with the new hub, ss spokes and drum/sprocket, but yet have to rehab the brake backing plate...new paint etc. New shoes, springs and cyl to install too....all new axel and spacers too.....gonna be sweet....reused the tire...not bad shape. Used those Continental tires since I wore out the original set of Goodyears.....that particular tire is the # 35.......that's a lot of tyres!!!!!

IMG_1737.jpgIMG_1738.jpg

Actually did some saw work today. Long time client came in the shop this afternoon and said his 630 Super wasn't running right. Said it was hic-cupping....hic-cupping? I says...Yep and when laid on it's side like when limbing it runs worse and sometimes stops. He thought coil.....I didn't think so but there are so many things that can give results I couldn't give him a definite answer but said I'd try tuning it so we cleaned the air filter and warmed it up in the woodpile. She sounded pretty good and was idling a bit fast so I fattened her up and got the idle right then tried the high side. She didn't respond to way more adjusting than I would ever do....Couldn't fatten it up enough for her not to run way lean at WOT. So he left it....said I'd get on it in the morning......probably needs a carb clean/kit. But after he left I had a few minutes before leaving the shop. So I decided to pull the air filter and blow all the crap out of the carb area so I could pull the carb...when I put the air to 'er I saw the fuel line flapping about.....rotted right off the carb barb.....completely open half way around!!!! That might make it run funny!!! I can't even believe it ran at all. Fortunately I had one in stock as it is a "special" one with a built in grommet half way down the line. They did that for a few years.....I hate them but it is what it is...

Nice day here. Been working in the shop but quit around 1:00 PM and got muh boots on and went outside. Had a bunch of firewood needed splitting and putting in the inside racks for the Free Flow....20 degrees 'Merican, no wind and bright sun......working in just a flannel shirt...perfect!!! Snowmagedon coming for the weekend they guessing so good to get all that wood taken care of,

Nice in the shop too....but a tad on the dry side.......

IMG_1746.jpg

We have rain her for a couple of moths now, and the sun is blocked by the hillside during the winter.
So how are you doing? 49 yesterday, still in my forties...

Been preparing for "Snowmagedon" today. Jenny fueled and extra 5 gal of gas.....battery charged. Firewood put in or under cover, went to Ellsworth and got a load of Hoss hay and straw and put that down at his shack. Getting a couple saws ready for duty too. Plow truck fueled and fluids checked. Tow straps and chain and come-a-long behind the seat. If we get anywhere nears as much as they guess, gonna be a difficult plow......everywhere you go is a couple inches of glare ice under the couple inches of snow we now have.......just slip a tire once and there will be no traction after that. Rebuilt a set of good heavy duty tire chains this afternoon with all new connectors......would rather spend an hour installing them correctly/tight than two hours stuck somewhere.......

IMG_1747.jpg

The rest of the afternoon I spent on saw work. My two "go-to" saws have been giving me trouble ....right down to the point of not even starting. Due to my shoulder issues I've not been using any saws very much or often. So I went after the 61/268 conversion first and got it cutting great just like always....brand new Stihl RS chain....was out in the wood pile just wailing 12-18" ash and maple into 16" chunks when I encountered a froze in stone under the snow on top of a stem....sparks flew in the snow and chips turned to immediately to dust. Hmm....... Well I have two new CBN wheels, 3/8 and .325 that I have not had reason to put on the grinder. Oh my....that was a super education for me!!! What a nice wheel!!! Not even a sign of burning!!!....perfect!!!!
Then I went after my old friend.....my 1977 49SP.....put a new Tilly carb kit in that and it responded as you would expect. So now I have my two favorite saws ready for "Snomagedon"!!! The DeWalt 60 volt MAX with the 16" bar is already behind the seat in the plow truck with three fully charged 60 volt, 9 AH batteries....if I need more than that I'll go home......

The rest of the afternoon I spent on saw work. My two "go-to" saws have been giving me trouble ....right down to the point of not even starting. Due to my shoulder issues I've not been using any saws very much or often. So I went after the 61/268 conversion first and got it cutting great just like always....brand new Stihl RS chain....was out in the wood pile just wailing 12-18" ash and maple into 16" chunks when I encountered a froze in stone under the snow on top of a stem....sparks flew in the snow and chips turned to immediately to dust. Hmm....... Well I have two new CBN wheels, 3/8 and .325 that I have not had reason to put on the grinder. Oh my....that was a super education for me!!! What a nice wheel!!! Not even a sign of burning!!!....perfect!!!!
Then I went after my old friend.....my 1977 49SP.....put a new Tilly carb kit in that and it responded as you would expect. So now I have my two favorite saws ready for "Snomagedon"!!! The DeWalt 60 volt MAX with the 16" bar is already behind the seat in the plow truck with three fully charged 60 volt, 9 AH batteries....if I need more than that I'll go home......
Sounds like you are well prepared for the pending storm, the merchants will be very busy here today. OMG.

Sounds like you are well prepared for the pending storm, the merchants will be very busy here today. OMG.
Yes they will!!! I made sure the bride went shopping yesterday as today the stores will be like zoos.....she stihl has to run up to the farm for a couple dozen fresh eggs and I sthil have to gas up the plow truck and put some salt sand aboard but other than that we're pretty well set. They guessing 7-21" now........quite a spread me thinks......it's like "You may this much"...or maybe three times that?????

There has been a slew of snow plows bustling about here this morning with less than 2 inches down there has been the heavy gear out, tandem combo plow and salter thruck and the 140 series Caterpillar road grader with full compliment of plows, full angle and wing plow all down scraping asphalt, operators looking to make a few bucks as there has been no call for them so far this season.

There has been a slew of snow plows bustling about here this morning with less than 2 inches down there has been the heavy gear out, tandem combo plow and salter thruck and the 140 series Caterpillar road grader with full compliment of plows, full angle and wing plow all down scraping asphalt, operators looking to make a few bucks as there has been no call for them so far this season.
I think this convo, was about someones bad weather, on the East Coast, of the USA. Not sure why an update from N.S. is seemingly invited?

I think this convo, was about someones bad weather, on the East Coast, of the USA. Not sure why an update from N.S. is seemingly invited?
Because generally speaking my current weather is their weather in a few hours......

Back