Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.......yesterday the bride and I went up to Bradley, Maine to the Leonerd's Mills Forestry Museum to "Winter Fun" day. The ad said the Ax Women of Maine were going to be doing demos of choping, ax throwing and racing piped saws.........weeelll...... there was one Ax Woman who did throw a mean ax and she had a piped 441C running VP, which soiunded nasty but I must say was lack-luster at best in 12" popple.......Anyway she was good to talk to as she has been on the pro circuit for the last 20 years or so. She also is the only person in the world to roll/walk a log across the Mississippi River....over a mile across!!!
The add also said they would have the Lombard Log Hauler running........nope.....However they had two gas engined Lombards running about....one with a PTO dump body. The owner of both said they fetch wood with the dump body one to fire the steam hauler......said it takes a lot of wood to get them up to pressure...quite a few loads he said!! It was a nice March day up in the woods and still worth the trip.

They had a handful of old saws displayed outside too.

IMG_2119.jpgIMG_2120.jpgIMG_2121.jpgIMG_2122.jpg

The dump body on the gray Lombard was interesting too....it's a Wood Hoist....as in Gar (Garfield)Wood...as in builder of the most famous speed boats of the 20's.......got his start by patenting the first mechanical dump body in the world. His 33 foot "Baby Gar" powered by a 500 Hoss, 1,649 cubic inch V-12 Liberty Aircraft engine was wild.......my late father used to run one for a weathy summer person here on the coast back in his 20's......he said "When you rounded a buoy you best know where the next one was 'cause you going to be there suddenly" They would run about 55 mph which was totally unheard of back then......when everything else was traveling the water at about 4-5 knots.......

IMG_2133.jpgIMG_2147.jpgIMG_2150.jpg

The dump body on the gray Lombard was interesting too....it's a Wood Hoist....as in Gar (Garfield)Wood...as in builder of the most famous speed boats of the 20's.......got his start by patenting the first mechanical dump body in the world. His 33 foot "Baby Gar" powered by a 500 Hoss, 1,649 cubic inch V-12 Liberty Aircraft engine was wild.......my late father used to run one for a weathy summer person here on the coast back in his 20's......he said "When you rounded a buoy you best know where the next one was 'cause you going to be there suddenly" They would run about 55 mph which was totally unheard of back then......when everything else was traveling the water at about 4-5 knots.......

View attachment 1065451View attachment 1065452View attachment 1065453
Very interesting, thanks for the pics Robin.

LOL I thought of you when I saw and took the pic of that 626!!
YA that Pioneer is a well used 620 Super, still have a couple of nice ones here.
This one has a bit more paint on it, not quite as dirty,

6102c4dbaaad47d742a1754ecccb408c.jpg

Those are good vids!!

Here are some interesting tidbits of info about these old rigs.
As the fella in the vids said they weigh 19 tons, top speed of 5 mph and use 1 cord of harwood per seven miles depending on load and terrain......they have no brakes what so ever.
Now as far as loads go.....hauling sleds....the sleds carry 14 cord or 6500-7000 BFT per sled of saw logs....typical load is hauling 8 sleds at once or 112 cord or 52,000 to 56,000 BFT of saw logs. (300 tons) That's the normal loading.....howevah......woodboogers being not greatly different then than now loads of 265 cord or 600 tons have been recorded and train lengths in excess of 1,650 feet long have been hauled.....think of it!!!

83 log haulers were built and 5 still exist

Imagine a team iof hosses seeing one of these clanking down the skid trail the first tyme!!!!!

Those are good vids!!

Here are some interesting tidbits of info about these old rigs.
As the fella in the vids said they weigh 19 tons, top speed of 5 mph and use 1 cord of harwood per seven miles depending on load and terrain......they have no brakes what so ever.
Now as far as loads go.....hauling sleds....the sleds carry 14 cord or 6500-7000 BFT per sled of saw logs....typical load is hauling 8 sleds at once or 112 cord or 52,000 to 56,000 BFT of saw logs. (300 tons) That's the normal loading.....howevah......woodboogers being not greatly different then than now loads of 265 cord or 600 tons have been recorded and train lengths in excess of 1,650 feet long have been hauled.....think of it!!!

83 log haulers were built and 5 still exist

Imagine a team iof hosses seeing one of these clanking down the skid trail the first tyme!!!!!
They certainly could pull a load, on sleds over snow or iced trails. The old timers tell me they used a similar machine up here to pull the logs and wood down and out to the port of Portipique back in the day. One fellow remembered the steam train ran on wooden log rails but others claimed it ran on tracks like the Lombard does. I could not see a train pulling up the grades there on a log rail setup, just too steep.

Back