Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you fellas seen the video of when they first brought to old abandoned Lombard back and started the restorations, was in hard shape but with plenty of effort, it is a great deal of work like most steam restorations.

Have you fellas seen the video of when they first brought to old abandoned Lombard back and started the restorations, was in hard shape but with plenty of effort, it is a great deal of work like most steam restorations.
Haven't seen the vid but the last tyme we were up there they had just received the new boiler and removed the old one. PB and I did a thorough inspection...LOL!!!

The younger fella standing side to at 3:47 with the purple hat and brown coat owns both the gas Lombards and three more non-running but being rebuilt ones. We had a pretty good chat......the green one has a later model International six cyl. Came originally equipped with a Wisconson 6 cyl.......he knows where that engine is but the old fella won't part with it just yet as he keeps it for a spare as he has two of them himself....

Haven't seen the vid but the last tyme we were up there they had just received the new boiler and removed the old one. PB and I did a thorough inspection...LOL!!!
When I come across it again I will post it, was in rough shape, missing cylinder, gearcase and lots of froze n split pipes n fittings, smokestack housing busted and header door missing. They found old parts and fabbed a bunch to get er done.

I know it took them a long time to get going. Have you seen the vids of them running it on compressed air? Had a tow behind air compressor hooked to it to provide enough pressure so they could ride it around the yard. Much more impressive on steam!! But still a good way to test mechanical drive systems etc.

Think this is the one where it first arrives back to be rebuilt,

Yep...I hadn't seen that one but I'd say when she was parked in the shed was right where she was when PB and visited it.
I fell (dove) down the rabbit hole today of looking for/at vids of them traversing out into the remote weeds to find rusted beat parts. An adventure I would have not been unhappy to be part of. Was talking to my old friend Reggie this afternoon and he has been on the Allagash Waterway and seen the two Lombards abandoned there........mostly looks like dead animals......bones strewd all about and sunk into the earth....

All this stuff gets me thinking about my old left hand saw mill.......it's been mouldering away the last few years.......got hit by thieves, lost some important parts and I kinda gave up on it before I shot someone... It comes from the same tyme frame as the Lombards.....near as I can tell it was a "portable" mill in operation well before 1900........Babbit bearings and lots of flat belts....very basic but a good rig......when set up will saw within 1/16"in 24 feet for many days of sawing. I can saw 32 feet without any repositioning.....Was built by the PO to saw long, live edge cedar boat planking. Really liked opening up a tree but hard work for sure......old don't mean poor when sawing lumber.....generally just means more hard work that later rigs.....run it with a 453 Detroit.....120 Hoss......perfect for that rig.......runs the main saw and the blower.......I run the edger with the lil' Tractor.....edger runs at 123 feet per minute feed.....take-away guy must be quick!!!

All this stuff gets me thinking about my old left hand saw mill.......it's been mouldering away the last few years.......got hit by thieves, lost some important parts and I kinda gave up on it before I shot someone... It comes from the same tyme frame as the Lombards.....near as I can tell it was a "portable" mill in operation well before 1900........Babbit bearings and lots of flat belts....very basic but a good rig......when set up will saw within 1/16"in 24 feet for many days of sawing. I can saw 32 feet without any repositioning.....Was built by the PO to saw long, live edge cedar boat planking. Really liked opening up a tree but hard work for sure......old don't mean poor when sawing lumber.....generally just means more hard work that later rigs.....run it with a 453 Detroit.....120 Hoss......perfect for that rig.......runs the main saw and the blower.......I run the edger with the lil' Tractor.....edger runs at 123 feet per minute feed.....take-away guy must be quick!!!
I grew up comfortable with old stuff, steam engines huffing and puffing all around this Harbor, those sounds are engrained inside me. Steam always sounded,alive, inhale and exhale , the chuff of steam up the stack on the horizontal tube steam boilers. Gas and diesel are fine power engines but steam is different. Mulling over old mill sites and logging areas I have come across many abandoned iron / steel carcasses, I often stand and turn the bits over in my mind arranging them into working entities. Much like the guys finding and identifying the bits and parts of those old Lombards on the Allagash.

I know it took them a long time to get going. Have you seen the vids of them running it on compressed air? Had a tow behind air compressor hooked to it to provide enough pressure so they could ride it around the yard. Much more impressive on steam!! But still a good way to test mechanical drive systems etc.
Yes, seen that for the first couple of runs they used that big tow around air compressor for power, that was a common power force for testing out newly rebuilt steam cylinders.

I'm planning on going back June 17 for their "Summer at Leonard's Mill" event. The whole place will be a buzz with period re-enactors , the water powered up and down saw mill, the Lombards etc. Really have wanted to see the Lombard running for quite some tyme.

Their largest event will be Oct 7&8 titled "Living History Days" That's the one PB and I went to a few years back....

Latest posts

Back