Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I left CA there was still a full OH belt driven machine shop in Torrance I think it was.
Reverend place for Ol Phart Machinist guys.
They would just go to look and feel at home.
The owner understood…………..
Most of the old shops I first visited as a very young lad were run off line shafts and flat belts, very common power source.

Most of the old shops I first visited as a very young lad were run off line shafts and flat belts, very common power source.
For 22 years I have been running a 1966 W&S 2A.
It still holds 1/2 .001. ………W&S won WW 2……..no question ……without them it would have been different

They do run smooth......but have their own requirements that modern folks have trouble with. With effiency rates between 98-99% and low bearing loads esspecially when there are long distances between pulleys (up to 15 meters between pulleys) still makes them ideal in some applications. That and the ability to put a twist in the belt to reverse pully rotation adds to the plus side.

Know what I’m doing for lunch. Many thanks Lad.
We still have the splicing stuff here.
Oh yeah you must have a lacer so you can mend of change belt length. Generally way easier to trim a belt a 1/2" and re-lace than to adjust the machinery it runs!!

A wee bit of flat belt trivia. The laces come with connector pins....the latest I've bought the pins were teflon coated steel.....always before the pins were twisted rawhide which I originally thought was a pitiful way go......but as usual that was just a display of my ignorance....rawhide actually makes a tremendiously wonderful pin......wear forever and when you need to remove it grip with long nosed pliers, twist 1/4 turn and pull....comes right out even on, say a 6" wide belt but will never work it's way out by itself....again in my ignorance I once tried 1/8 brazing rod......pffffft......that lasted about three hours and fell apart......

I remember the first Teflon coated tap I saw. Teflon on a frying pan was so easy to scratch.
Worked fine.
Did not know about The rawhide …..but maybe…
the rawhide is self a lubricator……steel pin would be metal on metal and no way to lube it…
So dam many tiny wonderful details.
For high end aircraft one use 12 pt nuts we used to silver plate them.
It was just enough to slide when you torque down a nut.
Many blind aircraft rivets are lubed with……sheep tallow.
One time slide and no after contamination………

Latest posts

Back