Swapping ignition coils?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdntbone303

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I would like to swap ignition coils on a Husqvarna 385XP and go from a blue limited to a black limitless coil after a woods port. Would I have to check timing etc or should be a plug and play swap?

I would like to swap ignition coils on a Husqvarna 385XP and go from a blue limited to a black limitless coil after a woods port. Would I have to check timing etc or should be a plug and play swap?
Plug and play. Now I do like advancing the flywheel 5° to 6° no matter the coil. A blue 346 coil will work too, I think it's limited to like 13,800 or 14k can't remember exactly, but it's more than enough for a 385.

Plug and play. Now I do like advancing the flywheel 5° to 6° no matter the coil. A blue 346 coil will work too, I think it's limited to like 13,800 or 14k can't remember exactly, but it's more than enough for a 385.
Ok, would I be best to keep original blue limited coil in the 385 or an unlimited coil from an early open port 365? 385 is lightly woods ported/base gasket delete and muffler modded if that helps91E5408C-4A4D-41C9-91BE-A9C8052B73A8.jpeg

It's not really about which cuts faster, some really like the blue 346 coils do to the ignition curve, in smaller wood the unlimited should have the edge. It's more about ease of tuning. I would run a black coil and forget about it. I don't know about that 365 coil it should be unlimited but I'm not 100% on that, as it looks a bit different, the black coils I have look identical to the blue ones.

Ok, would I be best to keep original blue limited coil in the 385 or an unlimited coil from an early open port 365? 385 is lightly woods ported/base gasket delete and muffler modded if that helpsView attachment 888179
I have several coils that came off 385’s/390’s. The black ones are 503 96 24 05 & which is an updated revision of your black one. I'd run that & keep the blue one as a spareIMG_20210208_224001.jpgIMG_20210208_223904.jpg

On a related note, I'd love to know if there's a preferable way to attach the HT lead to the black coils... The blue ones wind in (after spending half an hour picking out the remains of the glue that held the old one in) but the black ones I have don'tIMG_20210208_223856.jpgIMG_20210208_223949.jpgIts almost like they're missing the white bit

On a related note, I'd love to know if there's a preferable way to attach the HT lead to the black coils... The blue ones wind in (after spending half an hour picking out the remains of the glue that held the old one in) but the black ones I have don'tView attachment 888203View attachment 888204Its almost like they're missing the white bit
I believe it is. I rebuilt another 385 last year it came with that coil you have missing the cap. Some epoxy them in place. I put the wire in and filled it up with red loctite. Took a few days to dry but still holding today

If it’s black, it’s unlimited. I believe the entire three series, other than the 395 and 3120, use that style coil
Pretty sure you're correct, just that coul looked slightly different. I have used 357, 353, 351, 346, 372 coils they all work. No the coils for the smaller saws 372 and under have a different profile to fit the smaller flywheel, but they still work just fine.

I've gone through dozens of these coils, and all of them simply screw in, I've yet to see one epoxied, I'm not sure about that coil still looks different to what I've seen.
Came off a first edition 1999 open port 365. Maybe I should get something newer?

Latest posts

Back