Sweet Gum Advice Please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lola said:
I didn't picture you for the type of guy to wear a thong! :biggrinbounce2:
If you ask his missus, you may hear a different opinion!:blob2:

Casuarina form great thickets on the Florida coastline. Misguided native plant enthusiasts call for their eradication, only to see the coastlines degrade and wash away in storms.

Right plant, right place.:D

Did anyone catch that program over the weekend about this homeowner in Southern CA that had a liquidamber tree that was planted 75 feet away and the root system basically destroyed his pool & foundation of his house? His house was basically a total loss. Estimated repair was well over $500,000.00.
The "expert" on the program said this was a "worst case scenario."

Has anyone had any experience with root problems from these trees? I have a sweet gum that is approximately 20 yrs old with a trunk diameter of approx. one foot that is planted about 30 feet from the garage. Haven't seen any problems with the roots as of yet. The tree that was mentioned in the program also had been cut down 2 yrs earlier, but had problems with the root system sending up growth shoots.

Yikes! How scary is that? I think I'm glad I didn't catch that show.

We used to have an elm tree that had destructive roots. We had it cut down eventually, but the roots wrapped around the lawn sprinklers and had tons of surface root 'speed bumps'. The tree had been planted 20 years prior and the house was a rental for forever, so we were told that it never got watered properly and as a result sent roots up to the surface looking for water. Judging from the condition of the lawn (or lack of a lawn) this seemed logical to us, as clearly the landscaping had been neglected for quite some time.

Roy Young said:
...Has anyone had any experience with root problems from these trees?...

As I said on the first page "Here on my property they are known for aggressive root systems, annoying seed pods, occasional limbs coming down in storms and a chance to run my saw."
No problems like that man had with his pool but as Ekka said "... in the right spot they're great." I generally will remove mine in areas that I am planting superior trees as the roots, once again, are too aggressive and the litter can be detrimental to Japanese Maples. If they are very large I will leave them and work around it. I've got one a little too close to the house that I wish treeseer would drop for me, next time he's in this area. It looks like an easy drop but with my luck and lack of experience it might take a large portion of my roof with it.

Get rid of the termite inspection/poison "vents" and have them moved a bit away.
Quit pruning the trees. (naturally a nice "elmish"/cone shape)
Give them a general fertilizer.
Put sand or soil in small amounts over roots that come up and get whacked by the lawnmower--the grass will grow right through.
Give them a few years and just watch them grow.
When I moved into this location less then 7 years ago the few I left standing were about 3" to 4" in diameter--now they are 1 foot in diameter or so and 35 ft tall.
But I'm hard headed and stubborn so I cultivate the silly things myself and it's the only major source of shade for my newish yard until the Bradford Pears and Magnolia's get a bit larger.
They are the predominate tree around here outside of the Cedars, Persimmon, and down by the spring branch the Birchs.
I just call them the "Southern Elm"--it comes up everywhere--sprouts from the roots readily, and puts seeds everywhere.
The resulting "Gum Balls" are your reward for letting the pesky things grow.
But if you "like 'um"--"grow 'um";) .

Thanks for the reccommendations, but I don't have termite poison vents nor have I pruned. Or was that just general advice?

The pictures of the "vents" look suspeciously like a termite station/baiting station to me--if not, I could be easily mistaken, sorry.
Pruning off old dead stuff is a common thing for a few folks....pruning the Gum trees will produce a bunch of little branches quickly and mess up the shape if pruned much.
Just general advise.
I kind of like my Gum trees, even if they reward me with a sticky, and pointy little thing to step on in the fall/winter. (barefooted is an adventure sometimes in my yard.)

oh, ok thanks. The "vents" are deep watering pipes actually.

I love my trees and the sticky balls don't bother us since we don't walk barefoot in the lawn (we have a dog, enough said...).

:~)

The browns balls that you took a picture of are called monkey balls it is normal if they produce them. They are supposed to.:monkey

Back