ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Swimming Pool Question

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Loving the Ignore Feature
So, my little "swimming pool" has some structural issues.

I just spent three hours soaking in it, and it's holding water perfectly. But it's not holding air.

I had an idea, but don't know if it will work or not.
If I make a support wall around it with split-face rock, line it with the pool and put a piece of rigid foam insulation between the two, to protect the vinyl, will the weight of the water hold the liner in place?

The way the boards are supporting the one side now, I kind of think it will work.

What say you?
DSC05370.JPG DSC05372.JPG IMG_5828.JPG
Like this

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
The water will hold the liner in place, but you might be better off with a proper liner rather than that flimsy pool.

Also, I would suspect that the example photos you showed also have some additional (hidden) reinforcing to hold it all together, for water is heavy stuff, and that's a lot of pressure pushing outward.

You might be better off patching the leak. Fill it full of air, then gently pour water (soapy water is better) to find the leak as the air bubbles out. Use proper patching stuff and you should be good to go.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

The water will hold the liner in place, but you might be better off with a proper liner rather than that flimsy pool.

Also, I would suspect that the example photos you showed also have some additional (hidden) reinforcing to hold it all together, for water is heavy stuff, and that's a lot of pressure pushing outward.

You might be better off patching the leak. Fill it full of air, then gently pour water (soapy water is better) to find the leak as the air bubbles out. Use proper patching stuff and you should be good to go.
Maybe a heavier liner would last longer, but I'm sure it would cost more than this pool it cost $25. It's actually pretty tough vinyl.
As inexpensive as the pool was, if/when it did fail to hold water, I could upgrade then.

True about the water pressure - the old pool had a tiny hole in the bottom, but the pressure of the water against the foam board underneath kept it from leaking.
Right now, I have a 1x12 and 1 1/2 blocks holding up one side. Pretty sure three rows of concrete block will do even better.

This new pool, while exactly the same as the last one, has different valves and I'm pretty sure that's where the air is escaping from. The old one had small valves you had to pinch to blow up (a real pita!) This new one has a two-part pullout - the first one a smaller hole you have to pinch, but the second plug opens completely, about a 1" hole. I don't think it seals well. It could be a hole somewhere else, but regardless it holds water and that's the main thing.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

It’d be cheaper and easier to just get a rigid wall pool
I don't think so.
Comparing my idea to the pool Elevatorguy just set up, I have no doubt mine would be less expensive... especially since he said he expects his to last 4-5 years.
No question, his is a much nicer set-up, but for me, smaller and easier to maintain is better.

I can get 8x8x16 blocks for about $1.50 each. I need 60 = $150. One time deal, never have to do it again.
The only thing that could fail would be the liner. $25.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

All night, I thought about loading and unloading 60 concrete blocks. I'm tired just thinking about it.
Plus, that might be overkill

Now, I'm thinking of 3' T-posts and some kind of sheeting, fiberglass, or some other kind of waterproof board.
Going to Lowes after work to see what the options are.

sirbuildalot

sirbuildalot

Addicted to ArboristSite
I don't think so.
Comparing my idea to the pool Elevatorguy just set up, I have no doubt mine would be less expensive... especially since he said he expects his to last 4-5 years.
No question, his is a much nicer set-up, but for me, smaller and easier to maintain is better.

I can get 8x8x16 blocks for about $1.50 each. I need 60 = $150. One time deal, never have to do it again.
The only thing that could fail would be the liner. $25.
Would these blocks be delivered to your house? If you’re not getting them yourself, delivery and taxes are going to push your $150 figure to more like $275. If you plan on multiple trips with an SUV or car, factor in the gas and time involved. Not to mention all the work involved setting the blocks.

sean donato

sean donato

Addicted to ArboristSite
Why not just go down to Tractor supply and get a galvy stock tank? You could put it anywhere you want. Get a round one and you could easily roll it. In the winter flip it over or just store it on its side. Probably last for many years.
Or one of the heavy plastic tanks. I have a friend whom buried one in his yard as a pond. Tuned into his dog's swimming pool. It's been back there for at least 5 years. He just pumps it out and refills it when it gets nasty, a dash of bleach keeps it nice for about a month (ish)

cookies

cookies

ArboristSite Guru
these cheap inflatable pools can not survive the sun for longer than a month or two if left out. Those pictures of "brick" pools have industrial pond liners in them. The real question is how will you keep it clean and or drain it and how big of a mess will it be to remove it or repair it when you get board with it.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

these cheap inflatable pools can not survive the sun for longer than a month or two if left out. Those pictures of "brick" pools have industrial pond liners in them. The real question is how will you keep it clean and or drain it and how big of a mess will it be to remove it or repair it when you get board with it.
Nope, the first one lasted two years.. and might have still been good, but I got rid of it because it was stained from those pecan leaves and seed thingys sitting in it over the winter.
Very easy to keep clean... a cup of bleach once/week and a homemade net to skim out the buggies. Easy peasy.
Bored? :laughing:You talking about the blow-up one I have now?
The highlight of my week is spending a warm sunny Saturday and Sunday afternoon floating in it :havingarest:

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

About $319 for a 6’ diameter pool. Cost might not be the problem. Apparently, they are all the rage. You might not be able to find one.

Stock Tank Swimming Pool Ideas - How to Make a Pool from a Stock Tank (countryliving.com)
I would imagine those metal tanks get very hot in the sun, making the water very hot, too.
Besides, they aren't leak-proof - I have a small one I bought for the chickens and the weld around the bottom came undone in a spot and it leaks.
Better to have $25 invested and spring a leak than $500 and up and have a leak.
Besides, all I need is 4x8x24" to float in... I'm not into diving, doing laps, or playing Marco-Polo. :ices_rofl:

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Went to Lowes at lunch and got what I need.
Bought a dozen of these
and a roll of this
1624924489722.png
and a couple packs of zip-ties. All for $48
The corrugated fiberglass sheets were pretty flimsy. I used this plastic fencing, with metal T-posts, for the fence I put up along one property line, and it's holding up real well.

We'll see what happens. :yes:
I'll post a pic when I get it done... pouring down rain now.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Would these blocks be delivered to your house? If you’re not getting them yourself, delivery and taxes are going to push your $150 figure to more like $275. If you plan on multiple trips with an SUV or car, factor in the gas and time involved. Not to mention all the work involved setting the blocks.
Yup, I've ruled out the block idea... for a multitude of reasons.