ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Swimming Pool Question

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Loving the Ignore Feature
So, my water lilies are in the pond and the duckweed is arriving tomorrow.
Ordered some Mosquito Dunks from Chewey's, should be here in a day or two. :yes:
They got 1 1/2" fresh rain water, thanks to Ida.
Everything looking good - no leg sprouts yet though. I am seeing a few more new tiny tadpoles. Probably from the tree frogs?

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Froggie-woggie update:

I moved 150 of them (yes, I counted) to new homes. That was fun. :ices_rofl:
I tried several different "tools" before settling on a flour sifter, which worked perfectly. I found they do indeed have a hard time with moving water, as someone here posted earlier, and I used that to my advantage in catching them.
I left about another fifty in the old pool, just in case the others freak out and die due to environment change.
So far, they seem to be doing well. Very active. :dancing:

Someone said in a video I watched that out of 200-300 eggs only 2-3 will survive to adulthood.
Hopefully, I did my part to increase those odds. :yes:

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Bye-bye little froggie-woggies... well, 150 of them anyway.
One of my customers has a small pond near their greenhouses and I'm taking them there tomorrow.
Keeping the ones in the larger pool, a while longer anyway. I'd like to see them sprout legs, but if it gets too cold I'll take them to the pond.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

OMGosh! Almost had a disaster!
Torrential rain all day while I was at work - got home just in time - water was a hair away from spilling over! :eek:
Got the kiddie pools out of the barn and filled them both up with water out of the "pond." Still measures 1/2" more than what was in there last night.

I've seen an adult Leopard frog sitting on a limb in the pond just about every day this week - watching over her babies I suppose, like I am. :yes:
DSC05453.JPG
Getting big!

Oh, and the black molly, goldfish, and minnows I put in there have taken care of the mosquito problem.
Thanks to Esshup for all the advice. :cheers:

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Insane rain!
Anyone in western KY better get out the tarps, waders, and sandbags.. it's headed your way.

Checked this morning and it was over 9 1/2"
Ran to the store and got two more kiddy pools. By the time I get back it had started to spill over. :surprised3:
Filled both pools, back down to 7" and now it's back up to 8" again!
Looks like rain is finally letting up.

Fence is holding up well.
And now I have plenty of back-up water for the next dry spell. :cool:

I'm sure some of you think I'm nuts, but I figure they're worth the trouble. :yes:
DSC05458.JPG DSC05459.JPG
Sure am glad I hung onto this crappy little swimming pool. :)

esshup

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Please, please send it my way. My grass is 90% brown and the little bit that is still green is crunchy when you walk on it. My pond is down approximately 5 feet, which equates to close to a million gallons of water. River Birch leaves are dropping like rain, my fruit tree leaves are all curled. When trying to mow my dead grass (had to replace the carb on the mower and it took 2+ weeks to get it) I can put Pig Pen from Peanuts to shame.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Please, please send it my way. My grass is 90% brown and the little bit that is still green is crunchy when you walk on it. My pond is down approximately 5 feet, which equates to close to a million gallons of water. River Birch leaves are dropping like rain, my fruit tree leaves are all curled. When trying to mow my dead grass (had to replace the carb on the mower and it took 2+ weeks to get it) I can put Pig Pen from Peanuts to shame.
Looks like it's heading up your way - I'll do a rain dance and hope it gets to where you are!

esshup

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yup!!! While they didn't kill it, they have no problem trying to consume it if it's dead.

You need more fertilizer in there, the water isn't green enough (provides them with food). You want the color of the water to be pea soup green.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Yup!!! While they didn't kill it, they have no problem trying to consume it if it's dead.

You need more fertilizer in there, the water isn't green enough (provides them with food). You want the color of the water to be pea soup green.
I must confess, I haven't added your fertilizer yet. Will do that this morning - after I drain out another 100 gallons of water from the pond!! :surprised3:
More rain last night!
And, it looks like you're finally going to get some of it up your way?
Guess that rain dance worked after all. :dancing: