Swimming Pool Question

OM617YOTA

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
We'll take some, send some rain here!

Not a drop for three months, then a storm and two inches of rain in one weekend. Even after two inches of rain, we're STILL at high fire danger level.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Loving the Ignore Feature
We'll take some, send some rain here!

Not a drop for three months, then a storm and two inches of rain in one weekend. Even after two inches of rain, we're STILL at high fire danger level.
This entire summer has been wet here, and lately, monsoon weather. Not typical at all. Usually this time of year we're mowing dust.

OM617YOTA

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
This entire summer has been wet here, and lately, monsoon weather. Not typical at all. Usually this time of year we're mowing dust.

Know that feeling! I actually watered my lawn during summer for the first time this year. Not enough to keep it growing enough to require mowing, but enough to keep it green. Usually I let it die in the summer, because I don't care, but last year's fire danger was educational.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

So Excited!!!
BABY FROGGIE-WOGGIES HAVE LEGS!!!
:happybanana::dancing::clap:
Well, one does. I'll call him George. :)

Black Molly is still very active and so are the goldfish and minnows. Seeing one or two small black tads, probably the tree frogs.
I even saw two new tiny fish, about 1/4", this morning.
Added the fert. as esshup recommended.

Meet George, the new froglet. :numberone:
They still have a ways to go, but things are looking up and I'm hopful they'll be on their way before the first freeze.
DSC05478.JPG

Look at them cute little legs!!​

:laughing:

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Got another whopping 3/16" in the past 24 hours, so a total of 9/16" rain in the past 3, maybe 4 weeks.

What is your water temp? You might have to add some aquarium heaters to keep them warm enough to keep developing.
I'll check it tomorrow. I'd say it's 65-70-ish.
I've noticed they seem to be staying near the bottom more. Like to come up when the sun is on the pool.
Now that they are growing legs, I saw that they are now carnivores more than herbivores and that they will be using their lungs more.
I have several limbs in there they can climb on and up out of the water. I was thinking of making a little rock pile in there they can climb up on to get out of the water.
Also thinking I can let out more water.. I let out another inch this afternoon and it's @ 7 3/4"
I'm thinking 5" should be plenty, don't you think? It's a 4' x 8' surface, so they have plenty of room to meander in.

Also, being carnivores now, what would be good to feed them? I'm putting some of the tropical fish food they sold me at Petsmart in their a couple times/day.

Sorry about your lack of rain. :cry:

esshup

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite
That fish food would work. If you like to eat Salmon, save some for them before you cook it. Slice a piece that is about 1/8" thick and cut it into 2 pieces. Put one in there and if it's not all gone in 3 days take out and put in a fresh, but smaller piece.

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

That fish food would work. If you like to eat Salmon, save some for them before you cook it. Slice a piece that is about 1/8" thick and cut it into 2 pieces. Put one in there and if it's not all gone in 3 days take out and put in a fresh, but smaller piece.
I'll get some today.
Just drop it in the pond?

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Yup! Fresh, not smoked.
Something wrong in the frog pond...:(
I gave them a slice of salmon, watched a few nibble on it, and within an hour I watched five of them die. :cry:
Maybe a little premature on the fish, maybe they're not ready to be carnivores yet?
Some that died had legs, some didn't.

I fixed up one of the kiddie pools and transferred the ones that have legs to it.
Easier to keep an eye on their development that way, and try to keep the herbivores separate from the carnivores.
Fresh Atlantic Salmon fillets, uncooked, no preservatives.
Idk what else could have killed them, do you have any ideas?
DSC05489.JPG

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Absolutely no idea. Pull the salmon then. Did the ones that ate it die or do you not know? Looking at your air temps, it might be time to get a fish tank heater or 2.
Got rid of the salmon as soon as I saw the first floater.
Can't say for sure, but I'd guess the ones that dies were the ones that nibbled on it.
Who knows?
I'll eat the salmon - $16 for four fillets!! :surprised3:

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Two-legged tadpole pond... less water, more stuff to climb on
:)
I tell you what though, once they get those hind legs, they're a lot faster and harder to catch!
DSC05503.JPG

esshup

esshup

Addicted to ArboristSite

Latest posts